Just got a city mid drive,. Have gone from a Rize step leisure. Shifting seems awkward

Just put together and rode city md ebike by Rize. Had Rize step leisure rear hub prior. Shifting seems awkward with the 3 millisecond pause. Is this a normal response to a Bafang 500 watt mid drive?

Mine seemed awkward at first. It wasn't too long to figure out that your cadence speed and your ground speed makes quite a difference - for me anyway. Now I don't notice it much at all. If you're in too tall a gear all of a sudden, and you find yourself barely moving, sometimes it's easier to go up a PAS level or 2 rather than downshift.

Bigger point may be to give yourself some time to get used to it. Quite a bit of difference moving from a hub to mid drive. Mid is darn sure going to force you to pay more attention when riding it.

Congrats on the new bike!

Mine seemed awkward at first. It wasn't too long to figure out that your cadence speed and your ground speed makes quite a difference - for me anyway. Now I don't notice it much at all. If you're in too tall a gear all of a sudden, and you find yourself barely moving, sometimes it's easier to go up a PAS level or 2 rather than downshift.

Bigger point may be to give yourself some time to get used to it. Quite a bit of difference moving from a hub to mid drive. Mid is darn sure going to force you to pay more attention when riding it.

Congrats on the new bike!
Thanks so much, is your md a Rize?

Yes. I bought a 2020 Rize Rx Pro, taking delivery of it just about a year ago.

Yes. I bought a 2020 Rize Rx Pro, taking delivery of it just about a year ago.
Have had a Rize step Leisure 500 w rear hub for over a year. More than 2000km, of which half on Kamloops mtb trails....not one problem. Hope mid drive the same, but will use for pavement. Cheers.

My city md broke 7th gear ring on cassette shifts hard going up steep hill because of hesitation causing loss of momentum. 45klms on it!

Attachments

• 20211123_124019.jpg
    20211123_124019.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 240
Salty, straight talk. Not trying to be harsh. That motor is capable of huge torque. When that torque is applied to those smaller gears in the cluster in a harsh manner, the load is spread out on just a few teeth as compared to when you are running in lower/larger gears. THAT's what broke that gear.

I get the hesitation you're talking about. Very familiar with it. Though you do need to pause a bit while shifting gears for a smooth shift, pretty sure you can do that manually. Also pretty sure it's possible to disconnect the shift detector if you like, though I don't recommend it. Note that if you are going to get along with this bike, those shifts are going to need to be clean. Every one of them. They will simply not tolerate anything less. Trying to run with the derailleur out of adjustment can be another cause for harsh shifting.

Rather than being down for weeks getting a free replacement under warranty, I would suggest you have a shop or somebody that knows what they are doing, check out the part you need, then purchase it from somebody like Amazon. There are dozens available, some with very subtle differences, and if you want to get the right one the first time, be very careful which you order. The MD is new, so I can't be of any help there. I don't know what they are using. New cluster about 25 bucks American.

Best of luck! -Al

Mr.Hickman, help me out a bit please.l started the thread with the awkward shifting of the Bafang 500 watt, 120 newton mid drive. As l said l have another Rize bike too, a hub drive fat tire bike l use for dual purpose, city and single track. As such, my shifting, power assist, usage will be ingrained and perhaps wrong for mid drive usage.l intend to use mainly for pavement...but have a steep paved hill l must climb to go home. Have 5 power assists, and 7 gears. Don't want to have happen what happened to Salty s, gear ring. How do you recommend climbing the hill with momentum and without to begin hill. Have ridden the bike once,before the cooler weather set in. Hence my first thread post. Thanks, kindly... clueless 😎

Rick,
It's Al Hicks, or better, just Al. It's about your shifts. If they are smooth, without grinding or a harsh bang as you shift, you're fine. If they aren't smooth, or they're inconsistent, do something about it. Adjust the derailleur so it works properly, or work on your shifting technique (the pause in pedaling effort giving the derailleur/chain time to move from one gear to the next) .

Finally, if you round a corner and see you need more power right now and have no momentum to speak of (5-6mph), rather than shift, try increasing your PAS level to the next highest without shifting.

Salty's issue occurred at a much higher speed. You aren't going to be using those smaller gears when moving at just a few mph.

Al when you speak of pause in pedalling effort....are you talking about the bike's 3 millisecond pause, or are you suggesting suspend pedalling. I'm pretty sure you mean the former. Thanks

Rick, makes no difference if you're doing it, it's being done for you electronically, or both (Been riding long enough I do it automatically, regardless if there a shift sensor in play or not), as long as it gets that pause. If the derailleur is adjust correctly, you'll get quick clean shifts, and the drive line will last a long time. -Al

Thanks AL appreciate the response.Have a learning curve here I guess, thought the sensor would be enough to get the shift done still have to pedel for the derailer to change gears right? Have not road a bike in 30 years 65 years old now.Also live on pender island very steep hills,
Salty, straight talk. Not trying to be harsh. That motor is capable of huge torque. When that torque is applied to those smaller gears in the cluster in a harsh manner, the load is spread out on just a few teeth as compared to when you are running in lower/larger gears. THAT's what broke that gear.

I get the hesitation you're talking about. Very familiar with it. Though you do need to pause a bit while shifting gears for a smooth shift, pretty sure you can do that manually. Also pretty sure it's possible to disconnect the shift detector if you like, though I don't recommend it. Note that if you are going to get along with this bike, those shifts are going to need to be clean. Every one of them. They will simply not tolerate anything less. Trying to run with the derailleur out of adjustment can be another cause for harsh shifting.

Rather than being down for weeks getting a free replacement under warranty, I would suggest you have a shop or somebody that knows what they are doing, check out the part you need, then purchase it from somebody like Amazon. There are dozens available, some with very subtle differences, and if you want to get the right one the first time, be very careful which you order. The MD is new, so I can't be of any help there. I don't know what they are using. New cluster about 25 bucks American.

Best of luck! -Al

may want to try manual shifting if warranty allows.

Hey guy's put my bike on a stand and used the throttle to spin the wheel definitely a wobble in cassette causing chain to skip around .Will send a video to rize .

Post that video here to Salty. Somebody may have already had the problem you've run into.

If the gears are wobbling for some reason, maybe it's not you at all.

Hey guy's put my bike on a stand and used the throttle to spin the wheel definitely a wobble in cassette causing chain to skip around .Will send a video to rize .

Post that video here to Salty. Somebody may have already had the problem you've run into.

If the gears are wobbling for some reason, maybe it's not you at all.
Will post it tomorrow. May have the answer not sure but on the thumb shifter was clicking felt spongy where triger finger felt solid.

Just put together and rode city md ebike by Rize. Had Rize step leisure rear hub prior. Shifting seems awkward with the 3 millisecond pause. Is this a normal response to a Bafang 500 watt mid drive?
what range do you get, average speed and your weight? thank you for sharing!

Will post it tomorrow. May have the answer not sure but on the thumb shifter was clicking felt spongy where triger finger felt solid.
Here, consider you are pulling on a spring with the thumb side, and just a simple ratchet releasing that spring tension on the other side. For sure, each side is going to have a different feel.

Cool! Thats probably a shift detector, they cut the motor power for a sec while you shift to reduce drivetrain wear, good to know these bike come with one! The middrive will take some getting used to when coming from a hubmotor bike, i was the same but you will quickly adjust!
Imho when it come to climbing nothing beats a good middrive!

Snow finally gone here in Kamloops BC. Went for first ride, within 10 seconds had shifting issues.
Bike had 3 miles on from initial Fall ride when purchased. Babied it then because l felt l was shifting wrong because was used to hub drive. Took to a bike shop, first guy said no issues without putting on rack or riding. Went home...same problem.. Went to different store, put on stand, adjusted derailleur, went for drive...same issue. Left bike, went back next day to take home in frustration. A kid maybe 14, a non employee said lets try tightening the derailleur cable. Worked like a charm! Cost 38 cdn , kid didn't get a dime as money went into the cash register, but probably has a bright future. Bike, A City md rides like a rocket but this whole deal left me questioning buying online. However, l previously bought from same company and never had a single issue so that's why l bought again. Wished I'd set the derailleur myself, but was convinced had more than a derailleur issues as to the HUGE clunk that happened a few times. To answer the POWER UP HILL question...the torque is amazing for 500 watts.
I really like the bike, but must admit I'm nervous because of this issue and possibly more to come even though l have no evidence of this. Rize bike employee Kevin was great even though their warranty program is not easily accessible if you live away from Vancouver. I have no doubt he would have insured that l received help had something serious been the issue. Still Have 6 months on warranty so will see. Cheers., Clueless😎

Snow finally gone here in Kamloops BC. Went for first ride, within 10 seconds had shifting issues.
Bike had 3 miles on from initial Fall ride when purchased. Babied it then because l felt l was shifting wrong because was used to hub drive. Took to a bike shop, first guy said no issues without putting on rack or riding. Went home...same problem.. Went to different store, put on stand, adjusted derailleur, went for drive...same issue. Left bike, went back next day to take home in frustration. A kid maybe 14, a non employee said lets try tightening the derailleur cable. Worked like a charm! Cost 38 cdn , kid didn't get a dime as money went into the cash register, but probably has a bright future. Bike, A City md rides like a rocket but this whole deal left me questioning buying online. However, l previously bought from same company and never had a single issue so that's why l bought again. Wished I'd set the derailleur myself, but was convinced had more than a derailleur issues as to the HUGE clunk that happened a few times. To answer the POWER UP HILL question...the torque is amazing for 500 watts.
I really like the bike, but must admit I'm nervous because of this issue and possibly more to come even though l have no evidence of this. Rize bike employee Kevin was great even though their warranty program is not easily accessible if you live away from Vancouver. I have no doubt he would have insured that l received help had something serious been the issue. Still Have 6 months on warranty so will see. Cheers., Clueless😎
I would look into further educating yourself regarding a rock solid derailleur adjustment. Watch a few videos. Find one that makes sense, and follow all the procedures from start to finish to fully convince yourself it's all set perfectly. Then go for a test ride, and don't be REAL surprised if you need to tweek it!

Do not make a bet on the derailleur adjustment being spot on when you get the bike on a manf. direct shipment. It may be fine, but there's just as good a chance it won't be. There's no smoke or mirrors involved. It's all a series of easy adjustments.

Back