So what's your other hobbies or interests?

chunk

Region
USA
Okay, I'll start, I'm an amateur radio operator, commonly known as "ham" radio, and I also like to cook and especially bake. I do lots of outdoor activities as well, in addition to biking I also hike, kayak in the lake, as well as surf fishing in the SoCal Pacific ocean, a lot in the Ventura area of Ca. Is tipping a pint now and then a hobby too? So what else keeps you all occupied when not e biking? Cheers.

I used to play in a band, drummer. The pandemic has changed what I do. I would volunteer teaching about boating and water safety and do Toastmasters. I have not sat on a couch or streamed a movie since the pandemic began because I knew it would be easy to get sucked in to inactivity. This frees me up to get creative. Much of that creativity involves making superior electric bikes that do not look electric. I will include a photo of one I recently made that Steven Gravy over at Marin Bikes is wild for. He is a cool guy. And a photo of a arthritis shift extender I made for someone that Gravy is also wild for. I read a lot, ride, and eat good food. I just finished a post pandemic mystery yesterday that involves eugenicists and takes place in Winter Quebec, 'Madness of Crowds.' I then purchased three books including the latest from Mary Roach, 'Fuzz.'
Here is a fun article about one of the worlds best bike mechanics that includes interesting facts in the evolution of modern bikes. https://mbaction.com/inside-the-toolbox-of-steven-gravy-gravenites-the-legendary-mechanic/

Attachments

• MarinWireless1.JPG
    MarinWireless1.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 210
  • MarinWireless4.JPG
    MarinWireless4.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Legs01.JPG
    Legs01.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 223
  • UnionJack08.JPG
    UnionJack08.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 216
  • RaleighIDo26JPG.JPG
    RaleighIDo26JPG.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 200
  • RaleighIDo27JPG.JPG
    RaleighIDo27JPG.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 211
I own 24 rural acres where I observe wildlife & stars, try to keep 21 acres from growing up in trash trees (locust, basswood, maple), and try to keep the trash trees from destroying my trailer, outbuildings, hobby cars & lawn equipment. It is cool out there in summer with less ozone than the city (makes me cough), but too cold to live out there in the winter in my 1976? trailer. I do maintenance on my house in town which is tight, insulated, & has natural gas heat. I ride the bike between the two weekly in warm weather.
I play piano & organ, autoharp & sing for pleasure and in church.
I read a book a week or more. Paper books from charity resale shops usually, although ebay has titles I can't find among the romance novels & thrillers usual in those shops. I'm reading Mont-st-Michel & Chartres by Henry Adams this week. The tour guide on the Grey Lines bus missed a lot of history in the windows & statues when I was @ Chartres 2010.

Last edited:
I live outside of town so I own a tractor and do some mowing and work with it. Ive also done target shooting and hand gunning. I’m also into to cars and have owned a 70 Dodge Challenger and 70 Plymouth Road Runner. I currently own a 2010 Challenger.

61EFDA0E-D8F4-40C2-BF1F-93F0A81C4443.jpeg

Retirement is awesome, most days I wake up and do whatever I want. :)
In descending order, my current recreational activities are:
Pickleball, I usually play 6-12 hours a week.
Home/yard maintenance, auto detailing.
Photography, my former profession, now I pursue it as a hobby and I do a little freelance work if I like the client and project.
eBiking, if the weather is nice and I'm not busy doing something else.
Home audio/vinyl.
One of these days I'll dust off the golf clubs, but I've been too busy for the past few years.

Painting in oil and watercolours, writing, sailing, gardening, woodworking.

Attachments

• 79BC6829-D7BA-4AF6-93FE-24FB36430BDC.jpeg
    79BC6829-D7BA-4AF6-93FE-24FB36430BDC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • 9D429DCC-F894-4CC1-9BE2-57C175804CD4.jpeg
    9D429DCC-F894-4CC1-9BE2-57C175804CD4.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 239
  • 887B6906-0532-4413-A0AC-D69E3CA00ACF.jpeg
    887B6906-0532-4413-A0AC-D69E3CA00ACF.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 247
  • A339FD98-0E98-4E74-814C-0387F1BD8A99.jpeg
    A339FD98-0E98-4E74-814C-0387F1BD8A99.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 9F9F08CE-DEE3-478B-9372-FA30BC3AD826.jpeg
    9F9F08CE-DEE3-478B-9372-FA30BC3AD826.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 267
  • 397196FD-7E0E-4177-AEF4-F1AF2999C62E.jpeg
    397196FD-7E0E-4177-AEF4-F1AF2999C62E.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 257
I run a large youtube channel where I teach people about off grid and sustainable living which is why I became interested in Ebikes as they can be charged from even a small off grid solar power system and will be very useful as transportation, commuting and to run businesses in places that do not have grid power.

I have been doing reviews of my Cybertrack ebike on that channel and I have 2 new ebikes coming for more reviews and to teach people how ebikes are a sustainable form of transportation.

I also run a couple of Reddit forums for Green News and Renewable energy news and I design off grid cabins for people to build and to house the homeless. I belong to many groups and feeds where I share information on renewable energy, EVs. climate change and new technology.

I just finished free plans for a Tiny A Frame cabin: https://www.instructables.com/Tiny-A-Frame-Cabin-Plans-by-Solarcabin/

I was a professional educator in high risk treatment centers, county health and safety services director, EMT and I ran a pest control company and now retired and run an online business and do social work to help the homeless and people that want to live sustainably.

For fun I like to ride ebikes, hike in the desert with my dog and explore old ghost towns and homesteads.

I have also dabbled in song writing and these are 2 of my songs and my off grid cabin:

Practical eye candy. I like elegance with function. The bar will get drop levers like the diagram. The rider has arthritis and with power she no longer needs to stoop and tuck on her classic custom road bike to keep up with her hubby.
1639178857735.png

Attachments

• Brooks1.JPG
    Brooks1.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Brooks2.JPG
    Brooks2.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Brunch2.JPG
    Brunch2.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Brunch3.JPG
    Brunch3.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 157
Cutting firewood, building things, renovation on old derelict structures. Watching David Pauliddes on Youtube, Les Stroud,the "How to hunt" series the bike builds and MTB Guys and a few others when the weather is bad, most of the time outdoors.

I own 24 rural acres where I observe wildlife & stars, try to keep 21 acres from growing up in trash trees (locust, basswood, maple), and try to keep the trash trees from destroying my trailer, outbuildings, hobby cars & lawn equipment. It is cool out there in summer with less ozone than the city (makes me cough), but too cold to live out there in the winter in my 1976? trailer. I do maintenance on my house in town which is tight, insulated, & has natural gas heat. I ride the bike between the two weekly in warm weather.
I play piano & organ, autoharp & sing for pleasure and in church.
I read a book a week or more. Paper books from charity resale shops usually, although ebay has titles I can't find among the romance novels & thrillers usual in those shops. I'm reading Mont-st-Michel & Chartres by Henry Adams this week. The tour guide on the Grey Lines bus missed a lot of history in the windows & statues when I was @ Chartres 2010.
It wouldn't be that hard to make that trailer a lot more comfortable, it takes patience and money, beware though I had just finished dismantling a 65 model" Princess" some of the things were pretty good other things pathetic about that trailer, things to really watch for are the deterioration of the roof trusses and rotting of the sills of course the old Awning windows are pathetic.
I got fed up with the library books I used to get, between the boogers, pus, blood and dog eared pages I just started buying used books from Amazon or thrift books, sometimes you can find some good deals at Goodwill or other charity shopping places. Too bad I am not near you I could help with the locust wood, seasoned locust is some of the best firewood going, the poles make excellent building posts as well( post frame my favorite building method)

Last edited:
Back