Roadrunner motor problem

Phassy

Region
United Kingdom
Hi folks I have a radrunner 1 problem is the pedals or pedal assist won't turn off , they keep spinning around at top speed . I heard a noise coming from motor area I have disconnected the orange connector hence the pedals are still continuously spinning but not as fast , also back pedaling is a problem the chain starts to back up the rear derailleur starts to lift up could it be the rear sprocket or someone said the clutch could be shot on the motor thanx in advance if anyone has any thought cheers I have tried to upload a video but I don't have the right file extension

You have a jammed freewheel. The motor should never be able to spin the pedals.

If it’s the DNP freewheel they sell them on Amazon . You will need a special tool to remove it from the hub.

Correction, I see it’s a single speed with a tensioner I think those single speed freewheels are not as difficult to remove.

Thanks I have removed freewheel , I used screwdriver in one of the grooves and gently hammered it anti clockwise anyway it's off . I just hope that is the problem cheers

Thanks I have removed freewheel , I used screwdriver in one of the grooves and gently hammered it anti clockwise anyway it's off . I just hope that is the problem cheers
It's easy to see if the removed freewheel is defective.

A good freewheel will only engage in one direction (clockwise in this case) , in the opposite direction it should "freewheel".

I ordered a ACS freewheel, 16 tooth, from Planet BMX. Better quality that what came on my RadRunner 1.

Thanks so much for your reply , the pedals are continually spinning as I ride so I have got to keep my feet out of the way I have the upgrade by the way a new digital read out and box which enables me to just use the throttle as well as giving me a bit more speed (not much) I have disconnected the yellow connectors I think they are the pedal assist as it was spinning too fast , it still spinning but not as fast now .It wouldn't back pedal either the chain would raise up if I turn pedals towards back wheel . Someone said the clutch could be shot on the motor so it's trial and error at the moment but thanks for reply 👍

I ordered a ACS freewheel, 16 tooth, from Planet BMX. Better quality that what came on my RadRunner 1.

Hello Scooter,

After a little less than one year of daily driving (40 minutes per day) in warm dry southern California, our factory installed single speed freewheel also needs replacing. When we google search the part number, the manufacture says that this part is not even for ebikes.

My question for you is how is your ACS freewheel, 16 tooth, from Planet BMX holding up?

Attachments

• Freewheel.jpg
    Freewheel.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 37
I spoke to the new owner of the 'Runner recently. She reported no issues at all, just have no idea of how many miles she put on it because it has the original LED display screen on it. FYI, the Dicta 3/32" is a good replacement as well.

The reason it's not recommended for ebikes is because the manufacturer assumes you have a high-powered mid-drive. On a hub drive ebike it doesn't matter.

Back