Dost Drop vs Evelo Aurora Limited

Dwight

Trying to decide which bike to get for my wife, she would like a step thru ebike with a throttle. I like the dual battery of the Dost and the looks too. The Evelo has the belt drive and the cvt but doesn’t have the range. Any suggestions?

I believe that a test ride is the best way to decide. Also , decide on how long you think you will be on the bike per day . Range anxiety is a common problem amongst ebikers so bigger is always better battery wise .

I would understand what she wants from an ebike first and how she will use it. If she is only going to ride a max of 30 miles ever and doesnt plan to use a high PAS level, i dont think range is much of an issue. If she is going to ride over 60 miles then the dual battery may be your answer. Also, think about availability. Dost may get you your bike by November where Evelo you will have to wait until next year January.

Personally, I love the look of the Evelo Aurora Limited and this it is a bada** bike. If I had the money (and patience) I would have went with the Evelo. I preordered two Dost bikes (one Kope and one Drop) but just canceled my preorder today. I am finding that, while they look really cool, it may be a tad over priced for what you get. You are getting an older (smaller) Bafang motor, only a shimano Altus (actually may be SRAM instead now due to availability), and you dont get a suspension seat post. I switched and preordered two Rize RX bikes instead. It is like an upgraded Dost:
  • Bafang Ultra motor (newer and more powerful)
  • Suspension seat post included
  • Selle Royal seat
  • Shimano Alivio
  • Cheaper dual battery option
  • Stronger charger
You can actually get the dual battery option now for $3599 preorder or single battery for $2999 (shipping hopefully in September). Not a bad price for what you get IMHO. Good luck in your analysis. I was stuck in analysis hell for awhile and know how it can be.

Trying to decide which bike to get for my wife, she would like a step thru ebike with a throttle. I like the dual battery of the Dost and the looks too. The Evelo has the belt drive and the cvt but doesn’t have the range. Any suggestions?
The new Dost CVT Drop has belt drive, CVT and double battery!!

I wish the Dost had a torque sensor instead of cadence. Otherwise I think they have done a nice job with the new model. I know the newer bafang ultra would have added a lot to the price but the bbshd would have added just a bit more but gets good reviews and is said to be very dependable.

I wish they would upgrade their motors and integrate them into the frame properly, so the wires aren't hanging exposed on the bottom of the frame...

I wish they would upgrade their motors and integrate them into the frame properly, so the wires aren't hanging exposed on the bottom of the frame...
I own their bike and have ridden almost 3,000 miles on it on all kinds of terrain. The wires are a non-issue for me.

I had a pre-order original production year Evelo Aurora Limited Edition and loved it.
Would still be riding it but it was stolen 8-months ago (not much value to the thief, no battery, password locked controller)

I seriously considered getting a 2022 Aurora Limited but decided against due to the AUTOMATiQ Hub Controller (electronic).
Original ALE had the Harmony Hub Controller (electronic).

Dost Drop - CVT has the Manual (cable) Hub Controller.

My older human-power-only bike also has the Manual (cable) Hub Controller and original NuVinic 360 CVP hub.
I really like the level of gear ratio control the Manual (cable) Hub Controller provides and don't like the AUTOMATiQ 'manual mode' of 9-fixed-position gear steps. So I've ordered a Dost Drop -CVT single battery model . . . . with a 1st Qtr '23 forecast ship date :( . . .

Enviolo CVT/P (NuVinic) Hub Controller Types:

While considering the Aurora Limited option I exchanged several emails with Enviolo (and Evelo) Technical Support to understand the differences in past and current Hub Controller types. There are four controllers types:

1) Cable controlled Manual. Twist grip has 100% control of CVP gear position.
My older REI human-power bike has this controller . . . and it is sweet with minor adjustments being possible.
The Evelo Atlas and Dost CVT models have the manual controller.

2) Harmony Automatic (now out-of-production). My original production Aurora Limited Edition had this controller.
I found the automatic mode less responsive than I liked and always operated it in Manual Mode.
While 'manual' was advertised as 100% control of CVP gearing I have recently learned that it was actually a stepped gear controller.
The steps being much finer than a non-CVP stepped hub but not the level of control of the cable.
I had always felt that the Harmony Manual Mode was not as linear as the manual cable twist grip on gearing . . . now I know why.

3) Enviolo AUTOMATiQ (replaced the Harmony). 2022 Aurora Limited has this controller.
It is said, by sellers, that the AUTOMATiQ automatic mode is far more responsive than the original Harmony.
And Enviolo advertises a 'manual' mode feature. However, the 'manual mode' is 9-step fixed gear position shifting.
I'm not ready to trust the AUTOMATiQ automatic mode is right for me and the 'manual' mode is no better than a far
less expensive non-CVP stepped IGH.

4) Apparently the AUTOMATiQ is integrated into the Bosch Motor Controller for some bikes.
I believe those may be limited to the automatic mode only.
Enviolo is going for a no user input required riding experience - - how boring - -

Last edited:
I had a pre-order original production year Evelo Aurora Limited Edition and loved it.
Would still be riding it but it was stolen 8-months ago (not much value to the thief, no battery, password locked controller)

I seriously considered getting a 2022 Aurora Limited but decided against due to the AUTOMATiQ Hub Controller (electronic).

My older human-power-only bike also has the Manual (cable) Hub Controller and original NuVinic 360 CVP hub.
I really like the level of gear ratio control the Manual (cable) Hub Controller provides and don't like the AUTOMATiQ 'manual mode' of 9-fixed-position gear steps. So I've ordered a Dost Drop -CVT single battery model . . . . with a 1st Qtr '23 forecast ship date :( . . .

While considering the Aurora Limited option I exchanged several emails with Enviolo (and Evelo) Technical Support to understand the differences in past and current Hub Controller types. There are four controllers types:

My older REI human-power bike has this controller . . . and it is sweet with minor adjustments being possible.

2) Harmony Automatic (now out-of-production). My original production Aurora Limited Edition had this controller.
I found the automatic mode less responsive than I liked and always operated it in Manual Mode.
While 'manual' was advertised as 100% control of CVP gearing I have recently learned that it was actually a stepped gear controller.
The steps being much finer than a non-CVP stepped hub but not the level of control of the cable.
I had always felt that the Harmony Manual Mode was not as linear as the manual cable twist grip on gearing . . . now I know why.

3) Enviolo AUTOMATiQ (replaced the Harmony). 2022 Aurora Limited has this controller.
It is said, by sellers, that the AUTOMATiQ automatic mode is far more responsive than the original Harmony.
And Enviolo advertises a 'manual' mode feature. However, the 'manual mode' is 9-step fixed gear position shifting.
I'm not ready to trust the AUTOMATiQ automatic mode is right for me and the 'manual' mode is no better than a far

4) Apparently the AUTOMATiQ is integrated into the Bosch Motor Controller for some bikes.
Enviolo is going for a no user input required riding experience - - how boring - -
are you still waiting on the Dost Drop - CVT?

are you still waiting on the Dost Drop - CVT?
Yes. Bikes aren't forecast to ship until Early 2023.

While waiting I'm searching for a bike that meets my needs and that is in-stock.
The Evelo Dash I had planned to use until the Drop CVT arrived is being returned to Evelo.

No batteries are available since Shanghai is in shutdown and quarantined. Just now being allowed to shop for groceries. We'll hear when they are back online. But I suspect it'll be a rather extended disruption.

Check out the Evelo Omega if you haven't picked up a bike yet. It's a slight bummer the two batteries aren't drained cohesively (it's one then the other), but otherwise seems to have everything.

I'm sad Enviolo has switched to the Automatiq... I had to replace my Aurora under warranty to the newer version and definitely miss the Harmony manual mode. I'm stuck in AutomatiQ's automatic until I can figure out how to press the hidden button to let it connect to their app or get fed up enough to remove the wheel. It's so weird they didn't even put a screen or leds on the controller--they're definitely pushing automatic over all else but it's annoying to have it constantly shifting back and forth if you're riding with the throttle.

Today I completed my first model yr-22 Aurora Limited test ride. Some 23-miles of mostly hills on a bike path.
This Aurora Limited is a slightly used, open-box customer return, bike as 'new' Aurora Limited are again out-of-stock.

As a short recap; last summer my Aurora Limited Edition [ALE] was stolen. I decided to try a folding bike because the ALE was a bit of a pain to bring along while RV vacationing. An Evelo Dash was ordered with a Jan-2022 delivery date then the supply chain problems hit and the Dash was delayed and delayed. At that point I considered switching the order to an Aurora Limited but after learning how the newer AutomatiQ Hub works I got cold feet {see April 2, 2022 post above} and just waited on the Dash to arrive.

When the Dash arrived I was disappointed with how the 5-speed twist shifter functioned . . . maybe not a surprise after riding NuVinci Hub bikes for 20'ish years. So I purchased a pre-order Dost Drop CVT with the cable/manual hub controller (Jan/Feb-2023 delivery) planning to sell the Dash when the Dost arrived. However, while still in the new buyer trial period for the Dash it had an electrical issue, then a second Dash was reported with the same error. That was enough for me and I started the Evelo return/refund process. Evelo noted they could get me an open-box Aurora Limited quickly and after using the stepped position 5-Speed I was comfortable taking a risk on the AutomatiQ as it has a stepped 9-Speed manual shifting mode if I don't like it's automatic shifting. And I already know how to handle the extra RV traveling issue.

So that gets us back to today's first test ride of the Aurora Limited.
= = = Today bike was used in the Manual Shifting Mode, stepped 9-speed.
= = = Shifting was 100% reliable and easy . . as the NuVinci always has been.
= = = I've not located a document that states the actual 9 steps gear ratios . . . they do not feel evenly spaced . . .
= = = Shifting was very similar to the Harmony Hub in manual shifting mode . . . however Harmony had more steps as you twisted the controller.
= = = Suspect I'll be using the 'manual shifting mode' as today's ride was comfortable.
= = = I only use the throttle for starts from a full-stop and it was fine and as I remember the ALE
= = = Aurora Limited has a nicer (for me) rider position, more upright, than was standard on the ALE
= - = I really, really, really dislike the wireless Bluetooth functions/features of the AutomatiQ
= - = = Yes, it is nice to have access to more hub configuration parameters . . . but it should be an add-on, Not So Critical to Hub Operation.
= - = = Two Power Buttons are needed to start the bike; Dapu Display/System Power PLUS the Enviolo Bluetooth CO Controller.
= - = = Twice during today' ride I forgot to turn-on the Bluetooth . . . so no shifting.
= - = = And BTW there is a watch battery that will need replacing . . . and will go dead at the worst time . . .
= - = = The CO Controller { videos call it the Commercial Option } is of very limited value.
= - = = = You can upshift/downshift if in manual shifting or change Cadence in automatic shifting . . . that's about it
= - = = = No Displayed Information, no hill diagram, no Hub gear position for manual shifting information
= - = = = Enviolo really missed their users with the overall AutomatiQ System features (or lack of features)
= - = = = Expect some huge motor supplier like Bosch is driving Enviolo's product design as small business bike companies like Evelo can only take what is offered.
= - = = = I wish Evelo would wake-up and not believe "the fully automatic, no user thinking" is what their customers want.

That's it for now - - - - will continue my Evelo Trial Period and am hopeful I could be cancelling the Dosh Drop CVT order even with the AutomaticQ Bluetooth B.S.

Well, today I cancelled my Dosh Drop CVT order.
Am now a little under 50-miles on the '22 Aurora Limited, all in manual 9-speed shifting mode, and am fully enjoying it.

Except for the AutomatiQ 9-step manual mode it is actually a nicer ride and quieter** ride than the ALE was.

** ALE was quiet at first but then developed some weird motor noise . . . too soon to know if that will occur again
AL, today, has a near silent motor and smoother power assist - - - not as many jerks as with the ALE

Yeah, I switched to manual mode too. I tried fully Automatiq for a couple weeks but it did not seem intelligent enough for me. (Btw, NuVinci is the one making those decisions about people wanting fully automatic and Bluetooth-centric; they discontinued the twist mode.) Aside from some weird jumpiness/cut offs I get occasionally when throttling from start, manual is definitely better for me. I need a specific torque that works best for my bad knee and that was all over the place with the cadence modes. It also bugged me how much the gearing changed when I was throttling (seemed like it went through the whole range ever time you stopped or started throttling). The throttle cutoff when I want to start from stop in traffic is a bit worrisome but I need to play around to see if it's a delayed gear change (sometimes happens when I go down a gear or two when stopped, which shouldn't be a problem) and will call Evelo to see what their thoughts are. But my knee is happy enough with the manual and that's what matters. I think you might be able to customize the steps in the app, also, if you don't like the spacing; there was some mention of that in a NuVinci manual, though I'm not 100% it wasn't one of the manufacturer manuals since it's rather poorly documented for consumers.

I agree it's annoying you need to press two buttons (the NuVinci has to be pressed first, too) but you honestly get used to it quickly. I'm more bugged by how unresponsive the Dapu controls are compared to my previous Aurora Limited with the twist (replaced under warranty due to motor issues). You have to hold the assist plus sign for like two full seconds and it won't work if you do too long or too short. That takes way more time than the half a second to turn on the NuVinci thing first.

As an aside, I found it terribly difficult to push the Bluetooth button and had to get my bike shop to do it when I was in one time. Thank goodness they have weird tools, but it's protected by part of the bike and thoroughly inaccessible. Thankfully you only need to press it once and then your phone/the app recognizes it.

Agreed ! Am looking for plastic spiral wrapping to replace the existing-bandaid looking- fabric /tie band wrapping for the wires. Its so stiff I suspect it is affecting my steering.

Hi
Today I completed my first model yr-22 Aurora Limited test ride. Some 23-miles of mostly hills on a bike path.
This Aurora Limited is a slightly used, open-box customer return, bike as 'new' Aurora Limited are again out-of-stock.

As a short recap; last summer my Aurora Limited Edition [ALE] was stolen. I decided to try a folding bike because the ALE was a bit of a pain to bring along while RV vacationing. An Evelo Dash was ordered with a Jan-2022 delivery date then the supply chain problems hit and the Dash was delayed and delayed. At that point I considered switching the order to an Aurora Limited but after learning how the newer AutomatiQ Hub works I got cold feet {see April 2, 2022 post above} and just waited on the Dash to arrive.

When the Dash arrived I was disappointed with how the 5-speed twist shifter functioned . . . maybe not a surprise after riding NuVinci Hub bikes for 20'ish years. So I purchased a pre-order Dost Drop CVT with the cable/manual hub controller (Jan/Feb-2023 delivery) planning to sell the Dash when the Dost arrived. However, while still in the new buyer trial period for the Dash it had an electrical issue, then a second Dash was reported with the same error. That was enough for me and I started the Evelo return/refund process. Evelo noted they could get me an open-box Aurora Limited quickly and after using the stepped position 5-Speed I was comfortable taking a risk on the AutomatiQ as it has a stepped 9-Speed manual shifting mode if I don't like it's automatic shifting. And I already know how to handle the extra RV traveling issue.

So that gets us back to today's first test ride of the Aurora Limited.
= = = Today bike was used in the Manual Shifting Mode, stepped 9-speed.
= = = Shifting was 100% reliable and easy . . as the NuVinci always has been.
= = = I've not located a document that states the actual 9 steps gear ratios . . . they do not feel evenly spaced . . .
= = = Shifting was very similar to the Harmony Hub in manual shifting mode . . . however Harmony had more steps as you twisted the controller.
= = = Suspect I'll be using the 'manual shifting mode' as today's ride was comfortable.
= = = I only use the throttle for starts from a full-stop and it was fine and as I remember the ALE
= = = Aurora Limited has a nicer (for me) rider position, more upright, than was standard on the ALE
= - = I really, really, really dislike the wireless Bluetooth functions/features of the AutomatiQ
= - = = Yes, it is nice to have access to more hub configuration parameters . . . but it should be an add-on, Not So Critical to Hub Operation.
= - = = Two Power Buttons are needed to start the bike; Dapu Display/System Power PLUS the Enviolo Bluetooth CO Controller.
= - = = Twice during today' ride I forgot to turn-on the Bluetooth . . . so no shifting.
= - = = And BTW there is a watch battery that will need replacing . . . and will go dead at the worst time . . .
= - = = The CO Controller { videos call it the Commercial Option } is of very limited value.
= - = = = You can upshift/downshift if in manual shifting or change Cadence in automatic shifting . . . that's about it
= - = = = No Displayed Information, no hill diagram, no Hub gear position for manual shifting information
= - = = = Enviolo really missed their users with the overall AutomatiQ System features (or lack of features)
= - = = = Expect some huge motor supplier like Bosch is driving Enviolo's product design as small business bike companies like Evelo can only take what is offered.
= - = = = I wish Evelo would wake-up and not believe "the fully automatic, no user thinking" is what their customers want.

That's it for now - - - - will continue my Evelo Trial Period and am hopeful I could be cancelling the Dosh Drop CVT order even with the AutomaticQ Bluetooth B.S.
Hi....Im Jack I just ordered an Aurora SL which is interesting. My understanding is the SL's are all revamped open box Limited's that have been reconfigured. What Evelo discovered was the Limited actually had some frame flex problems that caused the belt system to place too much torque on motor and in turn broke motor gear. Anyway the bike was reconfigured with a chain drive with a tensioner . Also replaced Auto CVT with the standard cable controlled manual unit which like you I prefer. The bike I ordered (I was told) was the very last one to have this overhaul. I think it is turning into a sweet deal. Im getting the manual CVT that I want plus Evelo replaced motor with new motor! Got a close out deal of $1650.00 ! Also free ship & the full 4 yr 20K warranty! I'm Excited

Back