Are the 500w and 750w the same motor? And...

Steve--

Will going from a 36v battery to a 48v battery cause the 500w motor to produce more power? Or is there some limiting device/software in the motor?

Thanks
Steve

I agree you'll see more power/speed 36 vs. 48v. The bigger question will be how long it's able to do that without overheating. The true 750w will be able to handle that extra power much easier for a longer length of time than the 500 will.

One of the big factors when rating max motor wattage is it's ability to shed heat. The more heat it can shed, the higher the wattage rating.

There's also physical dimensions involved. In short, the bigger diameter motor or the wider, will win every time. If they are the same size, it's which is able to shed heat better.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Part of the reason why I was curious about this in the first place is due to the fact that all Falco's hub drive motors, regardless of the wattage rating, are all exactly the same price. I've noticed this with other brands as well, so it made me assume that they're all likely the same, and that the wattage is just being determined by some sort of setting or something.

I know that it's safe to use a 48v battery with the 500w Falco motor, as kit can be ordered with either battery, and their literature states that it will work with either voltage. My question is just whether it will produce more power or not. Because it would certainly be possible to build a motor contained two separate sets of windings, one for each voltage level. Both this or some other type of limiting device could easily cause the motor to operate at 500w, regardless of what voltage you supplied it with.

So I guess that's more precisely what my question is. Because in the absence of those two possible limiting factors I mentioned, that means my 500w motor hasn't been producing 500w all this time with the 36v battery I've been using. But that would be odd though too, because the 36v battery is the standard battery that's offered with the 500w kit.

And yeah, I know heat is an issue. I've been wondering for a long time why they don't manufacture these hub drives with cooling fins. It would add only a trivial amount of both weight and friction.

Steve, you don't want to confuse a motor's actual wattage capacity (ability to dissipate heat) with the controller and battery's ability to feed it.

An example might be, leaving voltage out of it for a second, you can take a 500w motor and supply it with/allow 2000w to it and it's going to:
1. Have a LOT more power than if it were being fed just 500w.
2. Eventually heat up to the point you'll cook it.

ALL else being equal, the 48v motor will turn faster than a 36v motor.

In the case where a motor is being fed a restricted amount of power (to de-rate it or for any other reason), that's done within the controller.

Will going from a 36v battery to a 48v battery cause the 500w motor to produce more power? Or is there some limiting device/software in the motor?

Thanks
Steve a 500 watt motor will run forever at 500 w that's its nominal speed it's peak power it's probably around 950 w. If you have an LCD screen that shows wattage or amp you will notice when you're at a dead stop and you Hammer the throttle when you take off that 500 watt motor will peek out around 750 to 800 watts roughly and as you gain speed the wattage lower once you get to 20 mph or so it'll be pulling 500 watts or under to conserve power that's why they say they're 87% efficient that's what it means it doesn't always pull it 500 watts it'll pull under 500 watts once you're cruising at 20 miles an hour on flat ground. I have a 350 w motor with a 48 volt battery with a 20 amp controller. And my bike is faster than my friends 500 watt 36 volt. A 48 volt battery charges to 54.6 volts when it's full and usually has a cutoff point of around 40 volts set by your controller or LCD screen. You can go down to 37 but that's draining the battery 100% with a cutting off at 40 volts it roughly has 15% left. Better on the battery

Back