Hello from Volton Bicycles. Our story and introduction to EBR.

Joe

Before Volton came in to being, there was a Giant bicycle and an expensive, low-powered front wheel conversion kit. After a well spent afternoon in my garage, I had partially built my first electric bike with a functioning throttle and a non-functioning pedal cadence assist. With a couple more hours of work and assistance by some friendly builders on a popular electric vehicle forum, I had a fully functioning electric bike.

As a cyclist, I, up until this point, enjoyed the simple pleasures and functions of my seven-speed and mountain bike. During my electric bike ride, I was amazed at the power this little 36v 250w motor put to the pavement. It was exciting to ride and I was hooked.

This revelation created a problem, the bike wasn't mine.

I had assembled this machine for my father following a major surgery he underwent. He lived next to a bike path and enjoyed cycling. At the very least I figured it would be a happy and healthy change of pace, considering he was spending all his rehabilitation time inside a gym during a great Chicago spring, Reluctantly, as he usually is about “tech stuff,” he took it for a short ride along his local path. He returned with the “grin” and looked forward to his next ride and his return to cycling.

After his throttle-filled rides he would call and tell me about the “dozens” of people that stopped and talked to him about his new electric bike. He would constantly tell me that more people would enjoy the functionality and benefits of this technology. He was right, by the end of the summer I ended up converting more bikes for friends and decided to give electric bicycles some more attention.

In the fall of 2011, I began designing and sourcing parts that would become Volton Bicycles models.

Today, Volton Bicycles supplies well-designed and better performing electric bikes. We are committed to educating people interested in electric bikes, and making Volton models more accessible through our growing dealer network.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and open to communication and we always welcome feedback and contact from our growing number of current and future riders.

Whether you're just starting to research and pique your interest in electric bikes, or you're trying to decide on a model and need additional information, or you want to talk about the latest cycling product that everyone needs to have, we are here for your support.

We look forward to hearing from you and we can't wait to see you on the trail!

Joe! This is an amazing story, it's inspiring to hear how you got your start and heartwarming to see an example of family and community that's turned into a way of life for you and the others at Volton.

Having owned the Alation 500 for an extended period, using it to commute to my job daily in Austin, I enjoyed the frame design, motor, battery etc. but what really stood out was your openness and genuine interest. I'm excited to hear about your expanding network of dealers but was really impressed with how seamless my online order was... again, your support went a long way in reassuring me.

My reviews speak for themselves, I feel like you've chosen great components and built on a balanced, sturdy platform but it's also exciting to see the new improvements being introduced all the time. Like the new battery pack covers and fender and light improvements. Keep up the great work and thanks for chiming in to share your story!

Before Volton came in to being, there was a Giant bicycle and an expensive, low-powered front wheel conversion kit. After a well spent afternoon in my garage, I had partially built my first electric bike with a functioning throttle and a non-functioning pedal cadence assist. With a couple more hours of work and assistance by some friendly builders on a popular electric vehicle forum, I had a fully functioning electric bike.

As a cyclist, I, up until this point, enjoyed the simple pleasures and functions of my seven-speed and mountain bike. During my electric bike ride, I was amazed at the power this little 36v 250w motor put to the pavement. It was exciting to ride and I was hooked.

This revelation created a problem, the bike wasn't mine.

I had assembled this machine for my father following a major surgery he underwent. He lived next to a bike path and enjoyed cycling. At the very least I figured it would be a happy and healthy change of pace, considering he was spending all his rehabilitation time inside a gym during a great Chicago spring, Reluctantly, as he usually is about “tech stuff,” he took it for a short ride along his local path. He returned with the “grin” and looked forward to his next ride and his return to cycling.

After his throttle-filled rides he would call and tell me about the “dozens” of people that stopped and talked to him about his new electric bike. He would constantly tell me that more people would enjoy the functionality and benefits of this technology. He was right, by the end of the summer I ended up converting more bikes for friends and decided to give electric bicycles some more attention.

In the fall of 2011, I began designing and sourcing parts that would become Volton Bicycles models.

Today, Volton Bicycles supplies well-designed and better performing electric bikes. We are committed to educating people interested in electric bikes, and making Volton models more accessible through our growing dealer network.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and open to communication and we always welcome feedback and contact from our growing number of current and future riders.

Whether you're just starting to research and pique your interest in electric bikes, or you're trying to decide on a model and need additional information, or you want to talk about the latest cycling product that everyone needs to have, we are here for your support.

We look forward to hearing from you and we can't wait to see you on the trail!

Great start, Joe.

It is important especially in this country to promote the culture of 'green commuting'. This popped up on my google alerts and would like to know your comments. The brand "Arrow" from Italy looks exactly similar to the Volton models. Have you filed some sort of design patent on the Volton designs? Otherwise, you might be able contact this company to see that your design license are not violated.

here is the website for 'arrow' electric bikes:

Volton has nice stealthy design (although the name isn't too stealthy!) Seems to offer great value as well. The only individual concern I have is my need for a more upright riding position.

Mike, your analysis was interesting and enjoyable to read. Here are a few random thoughts:

instead of comparing the Volton Alation to a fat tire bike, why not instead compare it to bikes like: the E-motion Evo or Neo MBs or Izip Peak.

"Stealth" - to me this means not only hiding the battery but also not drawing a lot of attention to myself with a fat tire bike. I do most of my writing on bike paths and in here in Colorado, if you are riding the bike on a bike path then you can't use assist.

Comfort - I need a little more upright riding position at my age that's why I mentioned that. I'm hoping that Volton will offer an idea that appeals more to the comfort rider.

Regarding your analysis: of course even the objective categories, such as the value of disc brakes, are still subjective. That's why everyone will reach a different conclusion!

Mike, your analysis was interesting and enjoyable to read. Here are a few random thoughts:

instead of comparing the Volton Alation to a fat tire bike, why not instead compare it to bikes like: the E-motion Evo or Neo MBs or Izip Peak.

"Stealth" - to me this means not only hiding the battery but also not drawing a lot of attention to myself with a fat tire bike. I do most of my writing on bike paths and in here in Colorado, if you are riding the bike on a bike path then you can't use assist.

Comfort - I need a little more upright riding position at my age that's why I mentioned that. I'm hoping that Volton will offer an idea that appeals more to the comfort rider.

Regarding your analysis: of course even the objective categories, such as the value of disc brakes, are still subjective. That's why everyone will reach a different conclusion!

OK, I will add more comparisons and pair them up as better matches. If you have one that you are specifically interested in, let me know. I will write up your choice.

The "Bias" is supposed to reflect how "objective" we are [not]. Everyone must admit that we are biased Daniel Kahneman won a Nobel Prize for his Prospect Theory work. He wrote a book "Thinking Fast and Slow". I just used his decision-making theory to drive the evaluation. I am surprised how biased I am, which often leads to very poor decisions.

Daniel Kahneman based an entire chapter in his book about how the "human mind is a machine for jumping to conclusions".

Last edited:

btw - if you google for "cost benefit electric bicycle", my article is the #1 Google search result!

I will add a bike frame geometry feature for comfort. Is that enough for upright position?

I will also a fat tire feature to account for lack of stealth.

I save these in a Google sheet that anybody can download.

Feel free to compare. Personally bike geometry is too in-depth for me. Adjustable stem, semi-cruiser type handle bars ... just a comfort-design that the eye can see ... that's all I want.

...so I look in the cruiser / comfort category usually. The reason I posted here is because I like Volton design philosophy and wondered if it extended into the type of riding I do.

Feel free to compare. Personally bike geometry is too in-depth for me. Adjustable stem, semi-cruiser type handle bars ... just a comfort-design that the eye can see ... that's all I want.

...so I look in the cruiser / comfort category usually. The reason I posted here is because I like Volton design philosophy and wondered if it extended into the type of riding I do.
Ok, better yet. I will add those instead. Easier for me to visualize

To change riding position to anything you like, just swap out the handlebars and/or stem. Any bike shop could do this for a nominal cost. I put an adjustable stem on mine.

Joe, up until yesterday I was thinking I'd get a pedego but then I saw EBR's review of your Alation and I'm totally in crisis. To further complicate things, I love your Boulevard DLX model as well! Aggggghhh, what to do??? My office is moving in January and the new location will be a lovely 4.4 mi distance from my house down a handy bike path. I'm 58 and my knees are gone but I'm thinking I may have found a way to finally get out of LA traffic. Now I just gotta decide what to get. Very hard to do when you can't see, touch, ride, feel etc before you buy!

Back