350 watt motor restricted to 250 watt

Magnus Branzén

I'm about to buy my second electric bike, an Evo Cross 2014 model. In several european countries, the motor has been restricted to 250 watt from the default 350 watt.

I hope there are actual benefits to the systems lifespan and range from the battery with the restriction, besides making it street legal. Or does the modification necessary to restrict power output in itself cause increased wear and tear?

The question perhaps should be put how is the restriction accomplished: via modification to the battery, to the the control box, or in the hub motor? And how?

(As an aside: A mini-PC I own that essentially doesn't have good enough cooling for the chassi size and thermal output, I've restricted the processor in software to stay below about 70 % of max. The system performs much better thermally now – the fan can stay in lower RPM. 250 watt from a 350 watt motor is also around 70 %...)

There are two situations I can think of. There are others on this form who might have a more in depth understanding.

1. You actually have a 350 watt motor but the control erwill limit it to 250 watts. In this case you have the extra weight of a 350 watt motor but software is going to not let you access the extra power that is there. The motor is heavier than it needs to be in this case. No real harm, just some wasted potential.
2. You have a 250 watt motor. In this case the motor is less built out and not capable of creating as much force. It should be lighter and smaller than a equivalent 350 watt motor.

From the marketing material:

A 350 W motor, which has been limited to 250 W that regulates the motor’s operation and completely eliminates noise when the motor is engaged. In the Neo range, the motor and torque sensor are located on the rear of the frame, and they provide the rider with smooth and immediate power.​

Hi,
I am also considering buying and Evo Cross with the a 350W motor limited to 250W. Following on your post I am wondering if you find out how is the restriction accomplished and if there is a technical way to bypass the limitation?

Nope, not yet. Haven't had time to get into the available material from other sources either (I guess brushless motors from radio controlled mini race cars are exactly the same, and that community should be really down with stepping up the performance).

Back