What I Learned from Buying and Riding My First Electric Bike

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I did this interview with Logan from CNET recently where we talk about buying your first electric bike. He had lots of great questions and really covered the process from start to finish, receiving the bike and building it... then using and maintaining it a bit. It was a lot of fun, and I think it could be useful here too, for anyone who is new to the space and considering buying an ebike. Enjoy!

Rock on :D and this is his full written article back at the official CNET website. If you're trying to figure out the different ebike categories, and figure out what some of the best options are in those categories... check out my best electric bikes page and some of the topic specific guides like best affordable electric bikes.

Last edited:
Cute little video, but watching videos such as this one makes me so happy with the quality of your work on EBR - without all the d@mn jump cuts!!! I don't know whether it is better overall planning or experience, but your videos look so much more professional.

Cute little video, but watching videos such as this one makes me so happy with the quality of your work on EBR - without all the d@mn jump cuts!!! I don't know whether it is better overall planning or experience, but your videos look so much more professional.
Aww, thanks! I enjoyed his music and different insights. Definitely a different editing style... my goal is usually NO CUTS!! just one longform video. Lately, with so many details to share, and the ride footage, I do have some cuts. I tend to use transitions and don't do the zoom in zoom out thing that a lot of YouTubers seem to do to highlight their points or emphasize a shot.

Hi guys! I did this interview with Logan from CNET recently where we talk about buying your first electric bike. He had lots of great questions and really covered the process from start to finish, receiving the bike and building it... then using and maintaining it a bit. It was a lot of fun, and I think it could be useful here too, for anyone who is new to the space and considering buying an ebike. Enjoy!

Rock on :D and this is his full written article back at the official CNET website. If you're trying to figure out the different ebike categories, and figure out what some of the best options are in those categories... check out my best electric bikes page and some of the topic-specific guides like best affordable electric bikes.

Great video for new buyers... I will have to repost this for newbies who visit EBR for the first time seeking advice.

PS. Love the part when he puts the key in the ignition. ;)

Last edited:
Just want to say love the new dew. Is it here to stay?

200w_d.gif

Not so crazy about that review. Not enough talk about batteries, 4 lights out of 5 does not mean 4/5ths of the battery remaining unfortunately, so is range discussion is useless. He talks about how big the bike is mmm. Does that bike not have a walk mode to help with getting it up the stairs. He's happy enough to keep it for a year... not very happy then I guess.

Not so crazy about that review. Not enough talk about batteries, 4 lights out of 5 does not mean 4/5ths of the battery remaining unfortunately, so is range discussion is useless. He talks about how big the bike is mmm. Does that bike not have a walk mode to help with getting it up the stairs. He's happy enough to keep it for a year... not very happy then I guess.
Go easy on a newbie... He is sharing what he's learned - which is not much :). Better than commercials like the recent one by FLX - zero useful info in that one.
Yes, it has a Walk mode. People don't read manuals.

Those "Christmas lights" - 4 lights out of 5 (or 4 bars out 5 on LCD displays, same thing) are very incaccurate, it just tells you that there is "some" charge left. It's based on approximate voltage and changes when you change motor output because voltage is sagging under load.

I have definitely appreciated cnet reviews...electronics and such, right? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
I would still like to have a radrunner, or a mini. 👍

Touche... good point. It's always easy for me to recommend safe choices. ;)

OK Maybe... but remember this is CNET a news/marketing organization not just Joe newbie.
Didn't realize that. It did sound like somebody's own experience, but, like I wrote - the guy hasn't learned much. Alright, if this is a team effort, then a "boo" to this news/marketing team :).
I have to say that have lost interest in CNET materials in the last few years - the quality has deteriorated, too much of half-baked journalism.

Last edited:
What I learned almost immediately is that, while riding an ebike with the power off is certainly doable, the sheer weight of my ebike (47.5 lbs) forces me to use assisted pedaling more than I thought I’d have to. I do ride with the motor turned off on downhill, flat and slight uphill stretches.

Few years ago I wouldn't consider a bike under $1,300. The landscape has changed lately, low-end market segment has saturated. There are now $1,000-$1,200 bikes comparable in $/mile to $2,000 bikes though you would normally get a lower end derallieur and cheap or no lights. What was a no-no few years ago @$900, is now $600.

Last edited:
Few years ago I wouldn't consider a bike under $1,300. The landscape has changed lately, low-end market segment has saturated. There are now $1,000-$1,200 bikes comparable in $/mile to $2,000 bikes though you would normally get a lower end derallieur and cheap or no lights. What was a no-no few years ago @$900, is now $600.
If they remove some components like you mentioned such as fenders, chaincover, simple display, no lights then maybe maybe I can consider 900$. But still need to do your due dillegence. Check reviews of the bike, what components they are using. Because I believe chance of getting a bad e-bike for 900$ is higher than getting a good one. I am not as experienced as you but that is my idea.

Back