Hill Topper Front Hub Motor not working

FreestyIAM

Hi all,

I have following kit from Hill topper, https://hilltopperbikes.com/product/summit-electric-bike-kit/.

I went to take it for a spin yesterday and found that the front hub motor won't activate, neither by throttle nor by PAS.

I can see the PAS indicator lighting up when i spin the cranks. If i spin the front wheel, the speedometer registers that the wheel is moving and gives a speed reading. I disconnected and reconnected all wires and still no go.

Unfortunately I can't find a troubleshooting guide from Hilltopper. Any ideas? I'm not particularly savvy with electrical stuff but i do have a voltmeter.

Electrical troubleshooting is finding out where the current "ain't". That involves using a multi-meter. You then start pulling plugs and checking pins or sockets to see where current is stopping. Start at the battery and work your way to the motor. You might need help, having someone spin the pedal for the PAS and moving the throttle.

Have you reached out to Clean Republic? They take a few days to respond, but I found they've been very helpful. I got outstanding warranty service from them. They will walk you through using a $20 multimeter to narrow down what the problem is.

When my motor wouldn't activate, it was a controller problem-- though it's a very different controller from yours.

Hi all,

I have following kit from Hill topper, https://hilltopperbikes.com/product/summit-electric-bike-kit/.

I went to take it for a spin yesterday and found that the front hub motor won't activate, neither by throttle nor by PAS.

I can see the PAS indicator lighting up when i spin the cranks. If i spin the front wheel, the speedometer registers that the wheel is moving and gives a speed reading. I disconnected and reconnected all wires and still no go.

Unfortunately I can't find a troubleshooting guide from Hilltopper. Any ideas? I'm not particularly savvy with electrical stuff but i do have a voltmeter.
Live & learn

Back