Baramind suspension handlebar - softening the ride

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Few E-bikers on this forum own this and find it useful.
@Chuck E. Cheese et al.

A review of this unique handlebar is presented by Pete at electric bike report.

A video from the company itself:

Just had mine delivered yesterday (Bam Trek). Ordered it from the company's website and it arrived from France in about a week. I have it on standby for the Allant+.

Just had mine delivered yesterday (Bam Trek). Ordered it from the company's website and it arrived from France in about a week. I have it on standby for the Allant+.

Awesome. Let us know your thoughts once you put some miles on them.
I think it can be a great accessory that doesn't add weight yet still bring plushness to the ride.

Few E-bikers on this forum own this and find it useful.@Chuck E. Cheese et al. A review of this unique handlebar is presented by Pete at electric bike report. A video from the company itself:

Very interesting tech... thanks for sharing. ;)

Baramind handlebars flex downwards but are rigid upwards, with the intention of providing suspension on bumpy roads and tracks and reducing vibrations to the rider’s hands and wrists in the process. This is achieved by the use of what Baramind describe as ‘a new kind of material directly coming from the aeronautics industry’. In fact it is a blend of fiberglass and carbon, used in the form of a plate hidden inside the mid section of the bars.

With the rider’s weight on the bars this plate flexes downwards to provide some modest suspension (up to around 30mm) and more rigid inserts in the top of the bar which do not move under compression mean that upward pressure on the bar ends – for example when pedalling hard – will not lead to the bars moving upwards which might mean loss of power or control.

Baramind-Inserts-stop-upward-flex-2.jpg

Fascinating!
I wonder how different it would "feel" for me -- not because of adding the vibration handling/flex, but because their 2 available sizes are not a straight match up with my existing handlebar.

Today: 700mm, 15degree backsweep, 18mm rise.
BAM City: 620mm, 20degree backsweep, 5degree rise.
BAM Trek: 660mm, 12degree backsweep, 5degree rise.

With Trek, I'd lose 0.75 inches from each side, and a slightly shallower backsweep angle... Sounds like a pretty close match, I think...
With City, I'd lose 1.5 inches from each side, but gain more backsweep angle... the total 3-inch loss could be a challenge, as I feel like my handlebar now is "reasonably crowded"...

I wonder how different it would "feel" for me -- not because of adding the vibration handling/flex, but because their 2 available sizes are not a straight match up with my existing handlebar.

If you are looking to get more comfortable ride experience, I think it is worth to try it.
If you are an Amazon prime member, you could order it from the UK website :

im always amazed by these reviews an recommendations. I rode bikes for 50 years without suspension products. But now use suspension seat posts. I think the decision might best be made on the basis of riding needs. Me? I ride on flat streets average runs of * miles one way on mediocre maintained streets. Averaging 20 mph and cognizant enough to avoid rough patches, a decent suspension seat post and tires with a range of pressure levels does it all. As usual, YMMV. But IME and in my environment expensive suspens upgrades are over rated. Mind, your ebike is a dream boat. But perhaps more than hobby riders need. That said, if I were a daily commuter I’d want mire. But I think more often than not we over sell some features.

after reviewing you build I think you’ve developed one of the sweetest bikes available. If you ever need an independent review feel free to send a test sample. Almost true. You two fellas are incredible. I’m a total curmudgeon and near impossible to please with OEM builds, but your bikes are simply over the top. I hope you are a complete success. It’s well earned and deserved.

without your input EBR would be a disappointing forum.

you and your partner deserve to be a complete success. Heck, you even please FeliZ. But

I got my Baramind Trek for christmas and finally got around to installing it. Having trouble with spacing since you can't install anything over the inserts and these are already significantly shorter than my Quick E stock handlebars. I've ridden in a few times and it feels good. I haven't ridden it long enough to get a full idea of what the benefits will be. I am hoping that less shoulder/neck pain and less numb hands are in my future.

A ~30-45 degree backsweep bar is the most comfortable and allows maximum contact with the bar from the hand, especially with the fleshy base of your thumb. Go ahead, try holding a broom stick at different angles. Together with a good ergonomic aborbent grip like Ergons, this appears ideal.

I don't know how Baramind compares to this setup, but I can't help but think that Baramind's bar would have been even better had it used a 45 degree backsweep, instead of nearly none, leading to poor weight distribution in the hand and wrist. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade my backsweep bar for a Baramind, because a little shock absorption can't compensate for bad hand placement, which happens regardless of how smooth the road is.

The bike industry overall is awful at making ergonomic bars for urban riding, reserving them generally for heavy retrogrouch bikes, even though backsweep bars are the norm on motorcycles, bike-share, and even (Swiss) military bikes. And then you have all the clowns who insist on drop bars but almost never use the drops. It's just people trying to look hardcore with 'performance' gear that degrades real life utility (knobby tires used in the city, MTB handlebars, etc)

I use this handlebar (not my pic), Velo Orange Postino, but there's plenty other promising variations.

1583422119666.png

"And then you have all the clowns who insist on drop bars but almost never use the drops."
Your comment made me laugh, because it's totally true for me. I have two light carbon road bikes and the only time I use the drops is if I'm trying to go as fast as I can (very seldom) and if I'm riding into a strong headwind.
I find the swept back bars on my ebike, which are similar to the bar in the photo you posted, are much more comfortable than my drop bar.

I don't know how Baramind compares to this setup, but I can't help but think that Baramind's bar would have been even better had it used a 45 degree backsweep, instead of nearly none, leading to poor weight distribution in the hand and wrist. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade my backsweep bar for a Baramind.

They make three different styles: a flat MTB bar with different inserts to fine tune the degree of flexibility depending on how hard you ride, a “Trek” model which I have that looks nearly identical to the OEM bar on my Stromer ST2, and a “City” model with greater sweep backward and are softer. I don’t think they go back as steep as 45 degrees, but they look comfortable.

I got mine a couple of years ago. I actually had to wait for the Trek bar to go into production. From the minute I put it on I was sold. I don’t feel them flex, but I do feel my arms, neck and shoulder muscles are much more relaxed after a long ride and the numbness is gone from my hands. I’m an evangelist. Direct from the company in Paris they were $100 plus something like 15or 20 dollars shipping to Vermont. It only took a week from the date I got word that they were shipping. I highly recommend them.

Does anyone remember the Bontrager Handlebar Insert Harmonic Dampers?

These were popular a decade ago as means to dampen vibration in the bars... not sure if they were effective? ;)

1587962583580.png
1587962590991.png

Last edited:
A ~30-45 degree backsweep bar is the most comfortable and allows maximum contact with the bar from the hand, especially with the fleshy base of your thumb. Go ahead, try holding a broom stick at different angles. Together with a good ergonomic aborbent grip like Ergons, this appears ideal.

I don't know how Baramind compares to this setup, but I can't help but think that Baramind's bar would have been even better had it used a 45 degree backsweep, instead of nearly none, leading to poor weight distribution in the hand and wrist. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade my backsweep bar for a Baramind, because a little shock absorption can't compensate for bad hand placement, which happens regardless of how smooth the road is.

The bike industry overall is awful at making ergonomic bars for urban riding, reserving them generally for heavy retrogrouch bikes, even though backsweep bars are the norm on motorcycles, bike-share, and even (Swiss) military bikes. And then you have all the clowns who insist on drop bars but almost never use the drops. It's just people trying to look hardcore with 'performance' gear that degrades real life utility (knobby tires used in the city, MTB handlebars, etc)

I use this handlebar (not my pic), Velo Orange Postino, but there's plenty other promising variations.

View attachment 46829

If you ever practice yoga, and your down dog position is corrected, the correct position will mimic this handlebar position, spreading the shoulder blades away from the spine/neck region. Doesn't pinch the muscles in the upper back, keeps energy moving.

Also riding on the hoods with drop bars is closer to correct posture.

You'll Never Believe What Occurred To Me Today...

Once I have got the Redshift ShockStop stem and seatpost for my Vado SL, I started wondering why in the world the Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebar in my full power Vado was not exactly working as advertised. As I experience storage issues nowadays, I keep my "big" Vado inside my station-wagon. After the last long ride -- during which my brother removed the seatpost, pedals, front wheel etc to be able to transport as many as three e-bikes (and three people) inside his car -- the time for my Vado reassembly has come.

When I put my e-bike together, I had a thorough look at the Baramind handlebars. To discover the elastomer inserts were pointing diagonally towards me! Simply, someone had installed the bars wrongly, giving the handlebars wrong angular orientation! (The inserts should be pointing upwards). Whodunit?! I expect that was that hopeless Specialized dealer back in May 2020...

Guys! After I rotated the bars properly (followed by rotating grips, brake levers and whatnot), the suspensions bars started working as advertised... Fantastically good!

A year and two months of riding with improperly installed suspension handlebars... :D

You'll Never Believe What Occurred To Me Today...

Once I have got the Redshift ShockStop stem and seatpost for my Vado SL, I started wondering why in the world the Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebar in my full power Vado was not exactly working as advertised. As I experience storage issues nowadays, I keep my "big" Vado inside my station-wagon. After the last long ride -- during which my brother removed the seatpost, pedals, front wheel etc to be able to transport as many as three e-bikes (and three people) inside his car -- the time for my Vado reassembly has come.

When I put my e-bike together, I had a thorough look at the Baramind handlebars. To discover the elastomer inserts were pointing diagonally towards me! Simply, someone had installed the bars wrongly, giving the handlebars wrong angular orientation! (The inserts should be pointing upwards). Whodunit?! I expect that was that hopeless Specialized dealer back in May 2020...

Guys! After I rotated the bars properly (followed by rotating grips, brake levers and whatnot), the suspensions bars started working as advertised... Fantastically good!

A year and two months of riding with improperly installed suspension handlebars... :D
Manure occurs…

They make three different styles: a flat MTB bar with different inserts to fine tune the degree of flexibility depending on how hard you ride, a “Trek” model which I have that looks nearly identical to the OEM bar on my Stromer ST2, and a “City” model with greater sweep backward and are softer. I don’t think they go back as steep as 45 degrees, but they look comfortable.

I got mine a couple of years ago. I actually had to wait for the Trek bar to go into production. From the minute I put it on I was sold. I don’t feel them flex, but I do feel my arms, neck and shoulder muscles are much more relaxed after a long ride and the numbness is gone from my hands. I’m an evangelist. Direct from the company in Paris they were $100 plus something like 15or 20 dollars shipping to Vermont. It only took a week from the date I got word that they were shipping. I highly recommend them.
Attached the Baramind Trek to my wife's Turbo Como. She loves it. It was very effective on our latest light off road ride. Stutter bumps which used to slow her down were a non issue and she mostly flew through trail dips and crevices that used to give her problems. She also climbed more efficiently due to the slightly more aggressive riding position than her OE bars allowed with the more upright sweep. We finished the 16 mile ride in "record" time for us. I asked her how her shoulders and arms felt and she said for the first time she doesn't feel "beat up". Hats off to the Baramind Trek. It took me about 30 minutes to replace the OE bar with the Baramind Trek. It seems very well constructed. Ordered at the website, total cost with shipping being about $25 dollars was close to $100 dollars. It took about 10 days to arrive from France to my home in the San Francisco bay area. I would recommend this as a viable alternative to a suspension stem or for for the Turbo Como, especially if you ride ill maintained city roads but also like to ride on gravel and/or off camber pock marked fire roads.

Back