Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Stromer ST1 or ST2

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Trek XM700+

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
I've been looking at those reuse and Muller full suspension internal geared hub belt drive bikes, but could find no dealers in my area.

I've been looking at those reuse and Muller full suspension internal geared hub belt drive bikes, but could find no dealers in my area.
I think it was posted here that Riese and Muller is starting its foray into the US market with 2 dealers. One West Coast and one East. Understandable and probably a smart strategy to start small and work out the bugs (similar to how some big companies will test market first). I am purchasing mine through Propel in NY.

If you want to carry stuff to use it in city i think best options seem Faraday Porteur. But the riding position don't seem that comfortable and have a small battery. So be careful about those points. But for being light it is a winner.
Another issue is being expensive.

For Trek i am not quiet sure but it must be a good bike as being produced by TREK. At least frame must be a very good one without a doubt.

Kalkhoff i don't know what is wrong but i don't like it. I used it my husband's home in Germany and maybe it isn't same model but i feel i need to do lot of work while riding it. Maybe i didn't figure out how to ride or electronics of the bike.

If price is an issue, i will advice some new comers which i see at Interbike.

- Yuba has good bikes but they come with Bionx so be careful.
- Ariel Rider C-Class seem a good bike. I watched video of Court and i had chance to test the bike at interbike . The bike isn't that heavy, have lot of carrying capacity and motor is powerful and price is somewhere around 2,000 $ i guess. I didn't have chance to ride for long time so can't make a solid comment but seem like a good bike.
- Van Moof : If there is a dealer you can try it too. I tried it last year in Rotterdam and liked the bike.

If you want to carry stuff to use it in city i think best options seem Faraday Porteur. But the riding position don't seem that comfortable and have a small battery. So be careful about those points. But for being light it is a winner.
Another issue is being expensive.

For Trek i am not quiet sure but it must be a good bike as being produced by TREK. At least frame must be a very good one without a doubt.

Kalkhoff i don't know what is wrong but i don't like it. I used it my husband's home in Germany and maybe it isn't same model but i feel i need to do lot of work while riding it. Maybe i didn't figure out how to ride or electronics of the bike.

If price is an issue, i will advice some new comers which i see at Interbike.

- Yuba has good bikes but they come with Bionx so be careful.
- Ariel Rider C-Class seem a good bike. I watched video of Court and i had chance to test the bike at interbike . The bike isn't that heavy, have lot of carrying capacity and motor is powerful and price is somewhere around 2,000 $ i guess. I didn't have chance to ride for long time so can't make a solid comment but seem like a good bike.
- Van Moof : If there is a dealer you can try it too. I tried it last year in Rotterdam and liked the bike.
Why be careful of bionic ?

I tried Bionx system and never feel they are smooth in riding. They had a good technology for year 2009 when they were producing for Smart e-bike. It is something personal but i never liked bionx especially direct drive motors. (they have high acceleration at first but it is a slow motor and not powerful ).

Hi all. I'm a brand new member and trying to narrow down my list for a spring 2017 purchase. I would like to start commuting by ebike to work, during the warmer months (Michigan) at least 2-3 times per week. I have 3 leading candidates and I am hoping you all, with your wealth of experience, can chime in as to good, bad or otherwise.

A bit about the rider: early 50s, under 6 foot tall and about 170lbs, decent shape - capable of 20+ miles on my regular bike (but too slow to commute on my regular bike), not much mechanical knowledge or skills with bikes. My preferred budget is $6,000 or less but will ultimately pay what is necessary for the best possible choice (so the top of the line Stromer is a possibility), never ridden an e-bike, limited e-bike knowledge, no full-line e-bike dealers in my area so difficult to take test-drives.

A bit about the commute: 16 miles 1 way mostly flat, car-heavy and no bike lanes to speak of, will need to use residential or side streets to avoid heavy traffic, fair number of railroad track crossings, will be riding in the dark many days and perhaps light rain (I'll use my car on the worst weather days).

Main requirements: want a city/urban style with rack/fenders; no garage for storage (3 floor townhome with no garage) so I'll have to carry the bike into the house and up/down stairs (so lighter wins points), 20 - 28mph top speed, integrated lighting preferred, suspension not required - will likely buy a BodyFloat seatpost.

Choice #1: Kalkhoff Integrale S11: what I like: Gates Carbon Belt drive (my regular bike is a Spot Brand belt-drive and I prefer not to go back to chain), integrated battery, 1 dealer in my area but they have limited experience with e-bikes (told me they've only sold 4 Kalkhoffs).

Choice #2: Stromers: not sure which ST1 or ST2? No dealers in my area is a major drawback

Choice #3: Trek XM700+: large Trek dealer 1 mile from my house - services my current bikes (so this choice would really be about having easy access to service); really prefer the integrated batteries of the Kalkhoff and Stromer but like that this is a lighter choice.

Please chime in if you have experience/opinions on these choices or another that I might be overlooking. I've watched dozens of Court's reviews and used those to narrow things down to these three (although he hasn't reviewed the Kalkhoff yet).

Back