3 New 04 Yamaha YDX Moro 07 Special Editions

Ken Shopken

Region
USA
Well, our 3 new Yamaha Moro 07s arrived last week.

We spent a bit of time setting up the suspension for our weight and moving stuff about to our preferences. The owners manual unfortunately did not have a section on suspension setups, so we had to go to Rockshocks for specs.

I managed to get my suspension to 30% sag and stay within the maximum recommended air pressure ranges. I am 220lbs. My son Tim however at 275lbs cannot get into recommended pressure ranges so he is running more sag and higher pressures than recommended. The rear is still too soft for him and is an issue when steep climbing. The lockout on the rear shock helps and he runs high fork compression with rapid rebound for now.
My daughter in laws bike has the opposite problem in that she is 5'10" but only 115lbs. She must run very low air pressures, and we are still experimenting with it. She also rides on the large frame (her preference) but the medium may have suited her better.

Frame fit on all 3 bikes is decent for all 3 of us. I am 6'4" and my only complaint is that the stock handlebar is too low, setting below my seat height by about an inch. I am ordering a set of bars that are 180mm higher to reduce some of the wrist strain while riding. I have a pretty good selection of quality handlebars, but none with a 35mm mounting diameter. Choices are fairly limited on the market so far, and this included 35mm stems and lift stems. My son is 6'2" with shorter legs so the bars seem to suit him and my daughter in law. We tilted her bars a bit rearward and her seat forward.

The Yamaha motor, controller and software are incredible. Far more power than I was expecting and what an intuitive power delivery system! There is virtually ZERO trailing assist, which was my main complaint when climbing on my home built enduro with the ToSeven Dm01 mid drive. Power delivery is instantaneous yet very smooth and predictable. I am still experimenting with the automatic assist mode that used a rear hub pitch sensor to dampen response on steep climbs and to cut power on descending trails to save power in automatic mode.

Battery life is impressive. At only 36v and 500wh I was skeptical, but the control system is very economical and efficient. We have lots of long climbs near our homes, and we have already subjected our bikes to a very long and somewhat steep climb on our evening workouts. So far we have only used 1 indicated battery bar, with my sons bike consuming one bar about 5 minutes before mine indicated one bar drop. We climbed about 3 continuous miles in lower gears on eco mode, level 3 of 4 and an additional 4 miles of approach with lots of elevation change. We will get a long ride in this weekend with plenty of elevation change and will get a better idea of how the batteries will do.

Pedaling without assist is much better than I had imagined than it would be and riding on eco mode 1 and 2 is very doable for longest range. Riding somewhat competitively on our road sections, I find myself in eco 3 and 4 most of the time on the climb sections of our evening routes.

The bikes are very stable at speed and yet very agile and playful. They are set up excellent for standing pedaling and climbing. I have already managed to climb a few very tight trails with switchbacks that surprised me that I managed them. The front end is a bit harder to lift than I would have liked (I read that this is due to the long chain-stay) but no doubt contributes to the bikes climbing abilities. The 180mm taller bars should help me out here. I will see.

So far we are very pleased with the machines. A group of local riders that I know have also bought them. We are planning a few group rides over this winter, so as a group we will find out the good, bad and the ugly over time.

The extra battery included in our $1700 plus $75 dealer set up purchases, will be sent out in a month or so we were told. The deal seemed too good to be true, but so far its the real deal!

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    590.8 KB · Views: 19
Back