29" e-bike for commuting - reliable central motor TSDZ2 or Bafang ?

martinw

Hi,

I commute regularly following 5.5miles long route through the forest to the train station :

file.php

As you can see forth and back it's ~1h 50min ride without motor (mostly gravel road not suitable for city bikes). I would like to reduce time spent on the route (forth and back) under 50 minutes (as I have kids now
icon_e_wink.gif
). That means I need double my average speed to at least ~15 miles per hour (25km/h). When descending I maintain speed around 25mph. I use heavy and relatively wide tyres : 2,25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic in the front, 2.1" Schwalbe double defense in rear. I need heavy tyres because of rough gravel surface. My weight is 210pounds (95kg) and I would like use motor on my 29" MTB (steel frame).

From what I read here I really like TSDZ2 central motor with torque sensor but some people say it's noisy and not so reliable in the long run. What others motor I could use, I would maybe sacrifice torque sensor for motor realibility (maybe bafang models...). I do not think that rear hub motor is optimal for my purpose, what do you think ? On the way back there's 3.5mile long section with ~7% average gradient (few short sections just 0.2miles with 13% gradient).

What motor would you recommend ? I still plan to pedalling as much as I can as before so I don't think i need something stronger than 250w. Also legal limit in my country (Czech Republic) for motor assistance is <=15miles per hour and only <=250w motors on public roads (which is my case). When you offroad 1kw motor is allowed but I would prefer to keep 250w where is guaranteed that I fulfil all requirement in the case of accident.

Last edited:
I have a TSDZ2 with brass gear and Opensource Software (highly recommended) with about 400miles.

I didnt run it without the brass gear but many say its alot quieter with the stock plastic gear.

It was initially noisy for the first 2 rides then quieted down. Just recently it started making more noise so I am going to open it up and try some more grease (no idea how well it was greased from the start).

So yes, its noisy. If regreasing doesnt quiet mine down Im going to take it off the bike and try a hub motor.

The Bafang BBS02 is pretty quiet but I just hate a cadence only assist + all the extras you need for the install (brake motor cutouts, shift detectors). It might work for you though.

I recommend asking this over at endless-spere

Back