Adding a GenZe e102 to the fleet

elizilla

I recently sold my last motorcycle and decided to use some of what I got for it, to expand my little fleet of e-bikes. I myself am riding electric trikes due to disability but since I have had more than one trike I have been taking friends out on the bike paths and the companionship has been super fun! But some friends are freaked out by the trikes. So when I found this GenZe refurb sale I decided to get one, for the friends who are unnerved by trikes to ride. I am hoping to get my dad to try it.

What GenZe sale you ask? Well, they're selling off a bunch of refurbished returns and former rental fleet bikes, for $649 to $899, with free shipping to USA. https://www.genze.com/nearly-new/

I have ordered an 18" e102. One of the cheaper ones, with a couple hundred miles on it.

I won't be able to give a ride review since my left leg won't let me ride it. But I will report on how it goes for my friends and family, and how the maintenance and range goes. UPS says it will arrive today. I am looking forward to it!

The GenZe arrived yesterday. As I said in my last message, it has 600+ miles on it and was therefore one of the cheapest in the sale. Well, it arrived in a new looking box and when we took it out it was immaculate. The scratches were inventoried on the sale page and are as described. Frankly I have seen worse scratches on new bikes just from shop wear. They are tiny and already I forgot them. The tires look new; they must have been replaced in the refurbishment. Maybe the pedals were too. We had to thread them on and they were clean as new, with bearings that hadn’t loosened up yet.

GenZe’s factory is close to my home and two years ago I knocked on the door and was able to talk my way in. I saw bikes like mine being assembled that day. And according to UPS tracking my bike shipped from there. But the box says made in China. I suppose the refurbishment was done here even if the bike was made there.

The big question that I cannot answer yet, is the condition of the battery. I would assume they did some testing during the refurb but I would be surprised if they replaced them. I will report back when it gets some longer rides. If it hasn’t been abused, well, 600 miles might be 30 or 50 charging cycles. They’re supposed to be good for a couple hundred cycles so barring abuse it should still have plenty of life. We charged it up first thing and it seems good but we have only gone a few miles so far.

I cannot ride two wheels myself, for me it is a guest bike. My husband tested it for me and I followed on my etrike. He says he likes the throttle better. The pedal assist has a noticeable lag then jumps forward; he found it twitchy. He says higher gears twitch less, which makes sense since it is a cadence sensor. He says it pedals nicely even without power. He likes the brakes. He suggested I add some fenders.

We had a big storm blow in today while we were working in the garage, and we gave shelter to a family who were riding by on a five-seat (!) tandem pulling a bicycle trailer. Mom and dad and four children. No electric. As the storm waned, the dad from this family served as my second GenZe test pilot. Came back with a big grin. I suppose any Ebike would put a grin on the face of the captain of a tandem like that. ?

I am tall and so are all my family members so I bought the 18”. Website says this is good for riders 5’7” to 6’. I would say that is accurate. It is big. I might have done better to buy the smaller one since many friends are shorter and it is easier to ride a too small bike than a too large one. Heck if it proves popular maybe I will get a second one for the fleet, they’re easy to afford.

Last edited:
The GenZe has been popular enough that I was thinking again about getting a second in a smaller size. But when I went back to the site, the prices had increased by about $300 across the board. I guess my timing was good, when I got the one I got. Guess I will wait on getting a second; if the price goes down again I can consider it then.

Back