bafang mid drive guys- HD or 02 on utah trikes fat trike?

vincent

have a friend with parkinsons and they are pretty set on buying a fat tad from utah trikes
utah trikes seems to only be doing mid drives now

trying to decide between a bbshd or bbs02 motor for this bike, i am inclined to go 02
mostly flat riding and rider is light, it would be enough power and maybe more efficient

but my question is on programming abilities, seems like i read somewhere that throttles on HD are smoother???? that the 02 is on/off
not sure why i am thinking that
my 02 was ok but i dont have it now to play with and see how much of that i can change, will be turning this motor way down whichever one we get

another thought was resale value later, seems hd might be better there..

dont think tsdz is an option from utah trikes and i dont want to be the test case being 800 miles from their shop so that is out

@vincent, my vote would be for the HD. Word has it the controller uses MUCH beafier components. For the difference in price, might be the more reliable option, especially when powering a trike fatty...

I don't know if there's an "as delivered" difference in the programming between them, but to change whatever is there when you get it, to something that's very likely much friendlier, uses the exact same software, cable, and menus. A lot of support for that here as you likely already know....

If I were ordering one of these, I would want a definite for sure confirmation the motor they would ship with it would be UART based.... -Al

Good point on the uart! I did not even think about that

Better check , are any of the hd coming with canbus now? Thought that was just the ultra motors

Good point on the uart! I did not even think about that

Better check , are any of the hd coming with canbus now? Thought that was just the ultra motors
No, it's more than just the Ultra's. The M500 and 600 are CANbus, as well as the newest models (M625?) that must also use a Bafang battery!

There was one guy who confirmed his new BBSHD bike was UART not too long ago, but I think it's worth the time trouble to confirm for sure. I know I would!

Last edited:
The HD is a good 10% more efficient on power than the 02 and the throttle is fully programable. I am not sure if the newer 02's have a programable throttle but the older models to not. Make sure you get the programing cable with the unit as factory programing sucks for anything but commuting. The lower levels are too powerful with big initial jumps.

Back