Well, my bike DOES make noise--the frequently squeaky disc brakes are an awesome safety feature! I also use my bell frequently. It's cheery little chime lets folks (who don't have hearing loss) know I'm coming and where I am.

When I was a kid, just like mentioned above, we all used to stick a playing card through our spokes with a clothespin so our bikes made a satisfying clackity-clack sound that varied depending on the speed we were riding. Fun stuff!

Have you tried cleaning the rotors with acetone? center the pads? Oil on the pads?

Last edited:
Folks who don't have hearing loss...
Plugged-in iPhone-related hearing loss?

There's a neat little gadget called Timber! mountain bike bell that looks and works like a Swiss cow bell: "Ding-ding-ding!" as you ride along. Fortunately, the clapper can be clamped. Being a sucker for anyone peddling innovations, I'll probably add one to my next online shopping cart.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried cleaning the rotors with acetone? center the pads? Oil on the pads?

Yes, clean the discs with rubbing alcohol or a degreaser. Remove the pads and, assuming they don't need to be replaced from wear, apply Dawn to the braking surface of one and rub the braking surfaces of the pads together to clean off any gunk. If the pads are really glazed over, gently sand the surface with a fine grit sandpaper (scrub the glaze off), rinse and pat dry. Make sure you bed the pads properly.

Bedding process - from cyclingtips.com
"Every disc brake and pad manufacturer has its own bed-in procedure, but all are slight variations on a similar set of steps. The key is to heat and cool the brakes in a repeatable and consistent manner, without accidentally scoring the pads or rotor by braking too hard, too soon. Again, the goal is a consistent transfer layer. Here’s what we have found works:
  • Hop on your bike somewhere with plenty of room. Pedal up to a moderate speed – 15km/h (9mph) or so.
  • Sit down in the saddle and apply the brakes evenly, without skidding, until speed drops to a walking pace.
  • Release the brakes while you’re still moving.
  • Repeat 10 times. You will feel brake power increasing with each repetition. Be careful not to skid as brake power increases with each repeat.
  • Perform the same set of steps, but increase speed to 25km/h (15mph).
  • Repeat 5-6 times.
"SRAM says to perform 20 slowdowns from a medium speed, and then another 10 from a higher speed. Shimano has a slightly different take, suggesting 10 stops with each brake..."

Please click on the link and read the entire article for more information and deeper explanation of the process. Proper bedding reduces squeeks, increases braking performance and modulation. It is a process that should be done on any new bike or when you change pads.

Strangely, sometimes it's sonic resonance from the frame. I have brand new e-bike that squawks (vibrating chatter) from the rear brake. Tried everything. Replaced the pads, then the discs, then the brakes and finally the entire back wheel. Nothing changes. I put the squeaky brakes on another bike and they are perfectly quiet. A Google search let me know it is more common than I thought possible. Probably not your issue, but an interesting phenomenon. http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...ance-has-anyone-got-long-term-fix-779649.html

Last edited:
Plugged-in iPhone-related hearing loss?

There's a neat little gadget called Timber! that looks and works like a Swiss cow bell: "Ding-ding-ding!" as you ride along. Fortunately, the clapper can be clamped. Being a sucker for anyone peddling innovations, I'll probably add one to my next online shopping cart.
... David

Sounds like you need to switch your tinder notifications to silent?

Thanks for the great advice, .....I confess that I like my brake noise and think it’s a fabulous safety feature!!!!!?

How about the 'Vrroom Bicycle Toy' by Mattel electric motor from the 1960s in the US... Put 'em on the cars and the bikes and update the marketing. LOL!

Those things still turn up on craigslist now & again. There´s one here in the bikes list right now

Yes, clean the discs with rubbing alcohol or a degreaser. Remove the pads and, assuming they don't need to be replaced from wear, apply Dawn to the braking surface of one and rub the braking surfaces of the pads together to clean off any gunk. If the pads are really glazed over, gently sand the surface with a fine grit sandpaper (scrub the glaze off), rinse and pat dry. Make sure you bed the pads properly.

Bedding process - from cyclingtips.com
"Every disc brake and pad manufacturer has its own bed-in procedure, but all are slight variations on a similar set of steps. The key is to heat and cool the brakes in a repeatable and consistent manner, without accidentally scoring the pads or rotor by braking too hard, too soon. Again, the goal is a consistent transfer layer. Here’s what we have found works:
  • Hop on your bike somewhere with plenty of room. Pedal up to a moderate speed – 15km/h (9mph) or so.
  • Sit down in the saddle and apply the brakes evenly, without skidding, until speed drops to a walking pace.
  • Release the brakes while you’re still moving.
  • Repeat 10 times. You will feel brake power increasing with each repetition. Be careful not to skid as brake power increases with each repeat.
  • Perform the same set of steps, but increase speed to 25km/h (15mph).
  • Repeat 5-6 times.
"SRAM says to perform 20 slowdowns from a medium speed, and then another 10 from a higher speed. Shimano has a slightly different take, suggesting 10 stops with each brake..."

Please click on the link and read the entire article for more information and deeper explanation of the process. Proper bedding reduces squeeks, increases braking performance and modulation. It is a process that should be done on any new bike or when you change pads.

Strangely, sometimes it's sonic resonance from the frame. I have brand new e-bike that squawks (vibrating chatter) from the rear brake. Tried everything. Replaced the pads, then the discs, then the brakes and finally the entire back wheel. Nothing changes. I put the squeaky brakes on another bike and they are perfectly quiet. A Google search let me know it is more common than I thought possible. Probably not your issue, but an interesting phenomenon. http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...ance-has-anyone-got-long-term-fix-779649.html

Hello Acey- I just had to do this on my new Haibike Sduro today. Both front and back 4 piston brakes had a high pitch squealing sound. Followed all those procedures listed above using the detergent method on the pads, fine grit sand paper and isopropyl alcohol on the disks. Now they are grabbing quite well with out the noise. Still working on the bedding procedure. Magura recommends start out pedaling and get to 20mph and start to brake hard (without a skid) and repeat 25-30 Xs to bed the brakes in on front and back. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the great advice, .....I confess that I like my brake noise and think it’s a fabulous safety feature!!!!!?

Wow, I think that it is so annoying that I have to get back to the basement shop and start finding a remedy for the high pitch ASAP. Same goes for my car brakes. Something about it just gives me the jitters. That's just me...

Back