Carrying Spare Pedego Rear Rack Batteries

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I often carry extra gear when I ride so I ordered this large Pannier bag from Pedego:

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/pedego-commuter-pannier-bag/

P1060913a.jpg P1070067a.jpg

I discovered that the bag is large enough to carry a spare battery. There are pouches sewn in each side which appear to be meant for this purpose. They hold the battery close to the frame for better weight distribution. Two batteries can be carried, one on each side, if desired.

P1070070a.jpg P1070071a.jpg

There is also plenty of room for extra gear.

P1070073a.jpg P1070074a.jpg

I've used the bag on several extended rides so far with good results. Not cheap at $130 but the other, cheaper bags Pedego sells aren't large enough to carry a rear rack battery. I'm sure there are other, cheaper pannier bags out there that will work for this purpose but finding one can be difficult. For anyone interested, this one works.

Looks great. Nice to have a place for your spare. Weight distribution could be a problem, though. I think I'd rather have it in the trunk/rack bag.

My H has that pannier bag. The only disappointment is poor durability of the zipper pulls.

I agree. For $130, the bag could be better made and more durable.

I'm still looking for a high quality pannier that will hold the Pedego rear rack battery. If I find one, I'll post again.

An update to my original post:

I found a rear tail bag large enough to hold two spare Pedego rear rack batteries. The battery weight is centered and no panniers are necessary.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

P1070108a.jpg P1070106a.jpg P1070109a.jpg P1070110a.jpg P1070113a.jpg

The bag uses the Bontrager / Electra interchange quick attach system but can be attached to the Pedego rack with velcro straps or bungees.

Another option is to use the mounting adapter mentioned in another post:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...for-use-with-standard-bags-accessories.25762/

Although the trunk bag mentioned above works well for carrying a spare battery, there isn't much room for other gear. Another problem is everything must be removed from the bag to access the battery. As an alternative, I mounted an aluminum box on the Pedego rack using insulated cable clamps. There is no modification to the bike and the box is easily removed. I lined it with plastic strips to make a snug fit for the spare battery. The Bontrager / Electra rack is mounted on top of the battery box for use with trunk bags. When not being used to carry a battery, the box can be used for other gear.

P1070131a.jpg P1070130a.jpg P1070129a.jpg P1070133a.jpg P1070134a.jpg P1070136a.jpg P1070139a.jpg

The setup does raise the center of gravity of the bike a bit but not enough to make a noticeable difference in handling.

Wow, thanks for the pics. That's kind of awesome.

There's got to be a way to wire them up in parallel. How cool would that be? Unnecessary -- it's no big deal to swap one battery for the other, the way you've got it set up -- but cool anyhow.

Arkel Dry-Lite Panniers are a good match for the weirdly proportioned Pedego rack. Reasonably priced and they don't have a zipper.

I found that placing heavy things on top of the Interceptor rack often made the bike quite tippy when it was parked.

Wow, thanks for the pics. That's kind of awesome.

There's got to be a way to wire them up in parallel. How cool would that be? Unnecessary -- it's no big deal to swap one battery for the other, the way you've got it set up -- but cool anyhow.

The batteries could be wired in parallel but I prefer to keep one in "reserve" and only use if needed. Using both at once requires charging both batteries after every ride even if only partially discharged. A battery switch is a possibility though.

Arkel Dry-Lite Panniers are a good match for the weirdly proportioned Pedego rack. Reasonably priced and they don't have a zipper.

I found that placing heavy things on top of the Interceptor rack often made the bike quite tippy when it was parked.

Yes, you have to use caution to avoid tipping when parked. I may add a double leg kickstand or a single leg model mounted farther to the rear.

The Pedego Interceptor is already heavy in the rear and the weight of the second battery doesn't help. It isn't an issue for a heavy rider like myself but a lighter person may notice the imbalance.

How about leaning into a curve ? It has to be a bit unnerving .

Not that I've noticed. Maybe it's my height & weight (6' 2", 265 lbs). I'm also used to carrying a lot of cargo on a bike. It could be an issue for a smaller, lighter rider though.

Nice! The clamps hold firmly, with little or no shifting?

I have a friend who uses a trunk bag for her spare battery and removes everything to swap. At about 5’4”, she doesn’t seem to mind the weight up high, but I should ask her.

Nice! The clamps hold firmly, with little or no shifting?

I have a friend who uses a trunk bag for her spare battery and removes everything to swap. At about 5’4”, she doesn’t seem to mind the weight up high, but I should ask her.

Yes, the 5/8" rubber insulated clamps hold perfectly on the Pedego rails with no slippage. They remove easily and don't mar the original paint finish. I recommend these stainless steel clamps from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LOKMAN-Stainless-Cushioned-Insulated-Installation/dp/B01HPE18N6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542744395&sr=8-3&keywords=5/8+in.+Rubber-Insulated+Metal+Clamps

41wzWumQ-uL.jpg

You can use these together with other sizes to attach the top of a standard bike rack to the Pedego rack. See my other post:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...for-use-with-standard-bags-accessories.25762/

My H has that pannier bag. The only disappointment is poor durability of the zipper pulls.
Update— after the zipper pull problems in October, One of the zippers failed. Today my husband went into the dealer for another matter and told the dealer about the poor wear of the bags. The dealer gave him a new set. I don’t know if these are improved or are the same thing he got last time, but it’s good they are standing behind their product.

Update— after the zipper pull problems in October, One of the zippers failed. Today my husband went into the dealer for another matter and told the dealer about the poor wear of the bags. The dealer gave him a new set. I don’t know if these are improved or are the same thing he got last time, but it’s good they are standing behind their product.

Although I haven't had a problem with mine yet, it does appear the zippers aren't the best quality. They are quite stiff to operate which probably contributes to premature failure.

I use this product on many of my zippered items with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/Zipper-Ease-...ocphy=9007126&hvtargid=pla-606028747672&psc=1

I haven't tried it yet with the Pedego panniers though.

This is an old thread but I came across it when searching and discovered that I was able to put a spare battery in the convertible bag. https://pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/pedego-convertible-bag/

I had to expand the top (zippered expansion) and was able to put the battery in sideways. It definitely added weight and I felt it slightly while riding, but the added peace of mind on a longer ride was worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_6242.jpeg
    IMG_6242.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum!

My wife has that Pedego bag. It's been around for a few years now and it is a quality made product. It's one of the few available that are wide enough to fit the Pedego rack. Since I frequently swap my bags between bikes, my only complaint is, it isn't quick attach, and requires messing around with the Velcro straps. My wife leaves hers attached to her bike though, and she likes the bag very much.

There are several bags on the market that will accept a spare Pedego battery which are quick attach. Unfortunately, they require an adapter to fit the Pedego rack. I also prefer to carry the weight of a spare battery down lower on the frame, usually in panniers. The deployable panniers on all the bags I've tried, including the Pedego, will not carry the weight of a spare battery. It requires the use of separate, heavier duty, panniers.

Thanks for posting! There may be other Pedego owners who aren't aware this wider bag exists.

LOVE that bag. The velcro are a PITA if you try to snag them between the battery and the rack, but they are long enough to go all the way around the battery. I don't do that- it feels more secure looping around the rack. I didn't put it down the side because I wanted the weight centered, but it does make the bike a little "tippy" on the kickstand.

I'm only going to do this for trips that might exceed 25 miles. My battery is 2 years old and I often get home after a 20-25 mile ride with 1 bar so it's really for my "range anxiety"

My alternative solution was going to be to bring the charger and plan on a Starbucks break ... but I like this solution better!

Back