I think this is awesome. Totally agree with you that transportation policy isn't something likely, or desirable, in the US constitution, but that this is an interesting view of a culture's valuing of cycling as transport AND also of their valuing of the lives and safety of their people. Cycling injuries are a public health issue that can be prevented by separating bikes from cars on roadways.

Do you have a link to share here for an article on this topic? Thanks! :)

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.12.29 PM.png

Ok... what the hell, I'll open the box... i'm feeling feisty this morning:
Ah what a lovey thought JayVee. Progressive thinking. Unfortunately, virtually none of that happening here in the US. Money (which i happen to love, lest you all think I'm a communist :) ) rules, and quality of life innovation follows only if the market allows, which it only occasionally does. Here it's all about market-based short-term solutions that benefit those few self-interested companies with the $$. Virtually no energy innovation occurring in an oil-coal-energy-centric country, antiquated grid, hemorrhaging unbalanced healthcare system, zero-investment in aging infrastructure, a shortsighted feel-good tax-policy, huge expanding debt hugely-exposed / lack-of-saving for the future, and a indifference to quality of life issues... all as opposed to carefully thought-out 10-20-yr balance and policy. A national bike lane policy? Ha, That's actually pretty funny. In a million years that wouldn't happen here. It would require govt spending on an environmental quality-life issue. Never happen. Hell, if the mindset we have now existed with our previous generations, we'd have no national parks, bridges or roads. It takes a progressive, visionary government. If the above items, which can affect millions and all require long-term thinking and government investment support are going nowhere, bike lanes can only occur in progressive individual communities with $$.

If it doesnt have short-term ROI, forget it. You know the verse: "pave paradise and put up a parking lot...?" That's (some of) us!

A national bike lane policy? Ha, That's actually pretty funny.

There's national highway policy. I wonder about the possibility of federal transportation money made available as incentives to states who want to improve cycling infrastructure? :)

Federal transportation dollars paid for the bike lanes on our major through town road in 1985. I used them to go shopping on the bicycle weekly or more, plus visits to the doctor. The city is busy concreting the bike lanes over to give the cars 7 lanes through town, and building curbs so I can't get away from them if one is going to smash me. I may move out of state. Pity I can't afford Switzerland. Ohio synchronizes the traffic lights to move about 50% more traffic in four lanes than the indiana plan of every light turns red right when the cars get there. The shopping is better that way, you see. US 31 is hideous north of Indi, see by contrast US 20 in Ohio.

I think the most effective way to promote improved biking infrastructure is at the local level. Vote for candidates in city council, county supervisor and state offices who have explicitly stated support for improving the biking infrastructure in their jurisdictions, or even better ... run for one of those offices yourself. The key word in that statement is "VOTE". Voter turnout for down ticket races, particularly in off year elections is very low. In these elections, a committed interest group that can get out the vote can easily carry the election for a supported candidate.

I complained to a city council candidate last cycle about the conversion of the bike lanes to mandatory right hand turn lanes (and they are the only flat land) as I handed him $100. After the election the city converted two more of those mandatory turn lanes from my former bike lane.
Bicyclers are views as some sort of vermin by the police in this town. I heard one policeman telling a car theft sufferer to monitor the homeless camp near the tracks for her car. That place had no parking, and cars driven there would sink to the frames in the mud. Some of those people do ride bicycles. Also steal them, I imagine.
At the edge of town the city is installing steel fences along the road to force bikes into the 55 mph traffic lane.

I love ebiking, but personally I'd prefer smoother streets and bridges that aren't about to fall down first.

I love the sentiment, but for me I'd like it if they came at it from a different angle:

Mobility is a basic human right. People should not have to risk their life to go to school, work, shopping, or a friend's house. Our transportation systems should emphasize the efficient movement of people and goods, not vehicles.

To get to that utopian ideal is going to take decades. And there is going to be a lot more to it than building bike paths. You will want to change vehicle liability laws so that a motorist who hits a cyclist will likely permanently lose driving privileges, unless they can prove gross negligence on the cyclist's part. You will want cycling integrated with public transit, which at a minimum means safe and secure bicycle parking facilities at train stations or park & rides. You will certainly want bicycle paths, but you will want to integrate that with separated cycle lanes on some streets and "bicycle boulevards" (Fietsstraat to the Dutch) to provide a transportation network that makes it feasible to go most places you would care to go by bicycle.

Again, getting there in the United States will likely take decades. That isn't so much a reason to despair as it is a reason to begin work immediately.

Well, @Kurt in CT, money is an issue here too. A lot of the infrastructure will need to be voted on by the parliament. But... the difference here is that it’s seen as a necessary means to relieve the overcrowded roads, trains, and buses in certain areas. The general idea is to jump from 8% of people commuting to 16%. That would put the Swiss on par with the Germans. There are a couple of other arguments too:

- It favors Tourism. Renting out bikes (and e-bikes) is a big thing here and helps Tourism. We even have official mountain bikes guides who take people on tours.

- There is the precedent of pedestrian paths which have been in the Swiss constitution for a couple of decades. That worked out well and helped Tourism too. Plenty of money was allocated...

- Politically, the population has sent a strong message to the politicians. And because there are multiple parties, you can be sure that some of these parties will remind the others that 73.6% voted yes. All the parties except one gave their support to the initiative...

- Bicycles are practically the only means of transportation in Switzerland for which accidents have increased. This is going to be a very strong driving factor, given the popularity of bikes. When it comes to safety, our politicians are going to have a very difficult time saying “no” to allocating money. If they do, the media will go into overdrive and make a big fuss about it. Safety issues usually make headlines here.
JV, Interesting you mention the boost to tourism. I seems anytime you block-off cars from a urban area and convert to walking only, it becomes the most charming, attractive part of town and a destination. I'm surprised more towns don't do it. Not sure this relates to biking, but it does to me feel like a quality of life enhancement. More bikes and less cars... I can see it enhancing tourism.

Not a crazy idea; we just live in a backward nation. It´s true China has a huge pollution problem, but they are making
enormous strides toward addressing the problem with designated lanes & clean, electric transport. If only our government
would make positive steps to end our gasoline addiction, but for now it appears our representatives are too leveraged by
big oil.

Back