New Amego Infinite - High Step

So..I ordered a new Amego Infinite the day before Canada Day from the Canadian company, Amego Electric Vehicles. I did an extensive amount of research and probably watched almost every video here at EBR. I did not want a mountain bike or a road bike and was looking for something with an upright riding posture. I wanted something with more than a 500 watt battery. I also wanted something that would be rugged enough to support my 230 pound, 6’ 2” frame. I ride my regular bike pretty regularly 15 to 30 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. The area I live in is Eastern Long Island and there are some hills (enough to be a pain now and then).

The bike arrived 9 days later which, considering Canada had two days off and the US had Independance day a couple of days later, was pretty good. The bike was well packed and protected and all I had to do was mount the handle bar and adjust, mount the seat and post, attach the pedals and fill the tires with air. They supplied any tools I needed.

The Infinite has a 500 watt nominal rear hub motor, 36, 13 gauge spokes in the wheels, a Shimano Acera derailleur (which is a couple of steps above the base Tourney). The handlebar is a Promax adjustable which can easily be tightened down more permanently. The Ergonomic Velo handgrips are locking and very comfortable. The seat is a Velo gel saddle which some will like but I replaced with a standard Brooks B17. The front fork has basic shocks that work pretty well. The hydraulic disc brakes are 180mm, front and rear, and work really well. The battery is 624 Watts.

I mounted a Topeak Velcro Trunk bag, similar to the Topeak MTX.

The bike is fantastic. The 2 inch wide Schwalbe Big Ben, 27.5 inch tires are comfortable and handle road imperfections well. I had to adjust the gears a little, standard thing to do and pretty easy. I also had to bend the protective cage around the rear hub a little to free up the derailleur. This was also pretty easy. Using the manual I set the display for MPH as the default was KMs. I’ve ridden the bike 350 miles in 9 days. It handles the hills fine, the throttle control is handy during initial takeoffs, the motor is peppy and the 6 different assist levels are very helpful. So far I have been using assist level 3 and riding about 17 to 18 miles an hour. The battery display has 6 bars. I have been getting 18 miles or so on the first bar....28 on the 2nd....38 on the third...48 on the fourth...pretty consistently. We shall see how that pans out over time.

All in all....I am extremely pleased with the buying experience and the bike itself!
IMG_Jul192018at32044PM.jpg

Last edited:
Great review and sweet looking ride!

We are considering this model as a second ebike for my wife and me.

Last edited:
Well..an 800 mile update. First off, the bike is still great. Learned an interesting thing though. The tire pump I have been using for years was about 20 psi off. I have been working harder than I had to, both on my regular bike and my Infinite. So...I inflated the tires to 70 pounds, I weigh 230 and I’m pretty much riding on just roads. In addition....I was relaxing a bit more than I was used to on the regular bike. I increased my effort a bit more, started working gears more and re-adjusted the Profile through the display programming from Power (the default) to Normal. So..what does this mean?

Well...there are 6 bars displaying what’s available from the battery. I also keep it in Pedal Assist Level 3 (out of 6) I used to get: 1st bar..18 miles, 2nd bar...28 miles....3rd bar....38 miles. I was happy with that. I now get.1st bar....21 miles, 2nd bar....31 miles, 3rd bar.....41 miles. This is very cool!

Anyway....still was a great purchase.

Last edited:
Well...I am currently at 2,100 miles (about 3400 kilometers). No news is good news and I really have nothing significant to report. The bike still runs well, looks great and there have been no issues. I have reduced the assist to level 2 and have greatly increased the range. I get anywhere from 26 to 32 miles (about 40 to 50 kms) before I use up the first of 6 bars on the display. I got close to 50 miles (80kms) before the 2nd bar was used up. I am very pleased with this bike.

Hi,

I think that is a seriously underrated bike. I live in Toronto and although I didn't ride one I had a close look at it at Amego.

What kind of riding are you doing to put in 2100 miles in a just few months? Are you commuting or just going out for a long rides?

I bought my bike in mid June and I'm only just about to hit 1000 miles. I guess with a commute of only 7km (4.35 miles) each way and some weekend pleasure rides the miles don't add up too fast.

That's some amazing range you are getting on Level 2 but I'm curious about what speed you can maintain at that level.

Level 2 on my bike Urban Plus feels like I'm on regular bike with a bit of a tailwind. I can maintain 25kph /15.5 mph with some of effort with a 300lb total weight (bike + rider and locks etc)

We have horrible traffic and drivers here in Toronto so I try to commute as quickly as is reasonably safe. 35km /22mph is my commuting cruising speed on level 3 out of 4, which gets me to the office about a minute or two later then on level 4. Level 4 is just too quick at 40kph+ /25mph and leaves me stuck at too many lights in high gear and also increases my close calls with death exponentially. Also on level 3 maintaining 35kph is quite easy so I can just wear my regular work clothes and not even work up a sweat.

Cheers

Hey....Well...I do a lot of 26 to 50 mile rides, almost every day. My bike is 60 pounds, I add about 10 pounds of stuff and I weigh 225., So....our weights are about the same. At level two (out of 6 levels) I keep the speed about the same as you..around 15 to 15.5 mph. I used to use level 3 and that was about 17.5 to 18 miles per hour but my range was less...but still good. Yes...I don’t really enjoy riding faster than 20 or so except for the occasional downhill. I also ride my “regular” bike about 50 to 70 miles a week for much shorter rides.

Cheers.

Well...I am currently at 2,100 miles (about 3400 kilometers). No news is good news and I really have nothing significant to report. The bike still runs well, looks great and there have been no issues. I have reduced the assist to level 2 and have greatly increased the range. I get anywhere from 26 to 32 miles (about 40 to 50 kms) before I use up the first of 6 bars on the display. I got close to 50 miles (80kms) before the 2nd bar was used up. I am very pleased with this bike.
I bought an EVO H1 from Amego last April and it’s also giving me no problems, looks a bit like yours but does not have shocks. It has the BionX system which was produced herein Canada, but has since ( 2 days after I bought the bike they went into receivership) Amego offered to let me switch for another brand but I decided to stay with the BionX as I think it is the best manufactured rear hub out there. I have 2600 kms trouble free. It’s hard to test the range as it has regen and I get between 2 to 350 kms between charges, I also ride it quite often with no assist especially on flat surfaces.

So..I ordered a new Amego Infinite the day before Canada Day from the Canadian company, Amego Electric Vehicles. I did an extensive amount of research and probably watched almost every video here at EBR. I did not want a mountain bike or a road bike and was looking for something with an upright riding posture. I wanted something with more than a 500 watt battery. I also wanted something that would be rugged enough to support my 230 pound, 6’ 2” frame. I ride my regular bike pretty regularly 15 to 30 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. The area I live in is Eastern Long Island and there are some hills (enough to be a pain now and then).

The bike arrived 9 days later which, considering Canada had two days off and the US had Independance day a couple of days later, was pretty good. The bike was well packed and protected and all I had to do was mount the handle bar and adjust, mount the seat and post, attach the pedals and fill the tires with air. They supplied any tools I needed.

The Infinite has a 500 watt nominal rear hub motor, 36, 13 gauge spokes in the wheels, a Shimano Acera derailleur (which is a couple of steps above the base Tourney). The handlebar is a Promax adjustable which can easily be tightened down more permanently. The Ergonomic Velo handgrips are locking and very comfortable. The seat is a Velo gel saddle which some will like but I replaced with a standard Brooks B17. The front fork has basic shocks that work pretty well. The hydraulic disc brakes are 180mm, front and rear, and work really well. The battery is 624 Watts.

I mounted a Topeak Velcro Trunk bag, similar to the Topeak MTX.

The bike is fantastic. The 2 inch wide Schwalbe Big Ben, 27.5 inch tires are comfortable and handle road imperfections well. I had to adjust the gears a little, standard thing to do and pretty easy. I also had to bend the protective cage around the rear hub a little to free up the derailleur. This was also pretty easy. Using the manual I set the display for MPH as the default was KMs. I’ve ridden the bike 350 miles in 9 days. It handles the hills fine, the throttle control is handy during initial takeoffs, the motor is peppy and the 6 different assist levels are very helpful. So far I have been using assist level 3 and riding about 17 to 18 miles an hour. The battery display has 6 bars. I have been getting 18 miles or so on the first bar....28 on the 2nd....38 on the third...48 on the fourth...pretty consistently. We shall see how that pans out over time.

All in all....I am extremely pleased with the buying experience and the bike itself!View attachment 23825
Did you use a Topeak rack ?

Curious-I'm interested in this bike and I really appreciate your reports as I'm sure others do. Will you put the bike away for the winter?

I don’t think so but I expect a major reduction in mileage. I have an indoor smart trainer for one of my other bikes that I currently use. That will get much more utilization in the winter. It’s been 40 degrees or so already and I still ride a bit...but not at the rate I used to...4 or 5 twenty mile rides a week....

Hi,

I think that is a seriously underrated bike. I live in Toronto and although I didn't ride one I had a close look at it at Amego.

What kind of riding are you doing to put in 2100 miles in a just few months? Are you commuting or just going out for a long rides?

I bought my bike in mid June and I'm only just about to hit 1000 miles. I guess with a commute of only 7km (4.35 miles) each way and some weekend pleasure rides the miles don't add up too fast.

That's some amazing range you are getting on Level 2 but I'm curious about what speed you can maintain at that level.

Level 2 on my bike Urban Plus feels like I'm on regular bike with a bit of a tailwind. I can maintain 25kph /15.5 mph with some of effort with a 300lb total weight (bike + rider and locks etc)

We have horrible traffic and drivers here in Toronto so I try to commute as quickly as is reasonably safe. 35km /22mph is my commuting cruising speed on level 3 out of 4, which gets me to the office about a minute or two later then on level 4. Level 4 is just too quick at 40kph+ /25mph and leaves me stuck at too many lights in high gear and also increases my close calls with death exponentially. Also on level 3 maintaining 35kph is quite easy so I can just wear my regular work clothes and not even work up a sweat.

Cheers
I live in Canada as well only on the other end and the Infinite isn't a big seller here but in many countries it's the best or at least a huge seller. Remember, the Infinite is a twin of the Magnum Metro plus and I was just reading there's now a two month wait for the bike in the US. It's the top selling bike in New Zealand, Australia, and Israel and a big seller in Europe and the U.K. Apparently the Infinite is Amego's largest selling bike but I have never seen one.

It was fairly easy for me to get here in the US. It was on Amazon and I corresponded with them on their site.

Taking a quick look on their site there are 38 in stock, I’m thinking they might be available now. I have read about major waits for the Magnum’s though....at least in the past.

Well....at 3,000 miles the bike is still working really well. Battery mileage has dropped off a little but not a major amount and the 40 to 45 degree weather may be part of the reason for that. I am still very happy with this purchase.

Back