20x4 Tires

I have been offered Innova slick tyres.

I'm nearly 100% pavement

Surely thicker rubber but no idea on puncture resistance
I have the innova semi slick on my NewGen 345. They feel good on hard surfaces, but a little slippy on loose. Only done around 100 miles but no punctures yet. No discernible wear.

I have the innova semi slick on my NewGen 345. They feel good on hard surfaces, but a little slippy on loose. Only done around 100 miles but no punctures yet. No discernible wear.
Thanks for that. I went for these Tues do that's reassuring. I don't intend riding on loose surfaces so hopefully I can keep to that!

I’ve got 240 miles on my Lectric XP in the first 3 weeks and expect to be riding 70 to 90 miles a week. Most of that pavement but about 10% gravel. The stock tires are okay but I’m thinking of replacing them with something better on pavement. So, I’ve been searching and there’s not much out there at this size. Looks like the best option for a smoother ride would be the Kenda Kraze which is a 20x4.25 and needs different tubes. Another option is the Vee Speedster which is pricier but uses the 20x4 tube.

Anyone use these slick type tires on rock/gravel road? There are a couple knobby options with a fairly solid center tread but I expect they’d just wear down pretty quickly. It seems the best option there is the Vee Mission Command.

I’ve started a blog post for as a reference for myself and thought I’d share: http://beardystarstuff.net/2020/01/12/20x4-fat-tires/ .

Thanks for the review of the various 4" tires. I purchased a SunSeeker Fat Tad trike in May of 2020. It came stock with Kenda tires. After about 300 miles both front tire wore through and I had blowouts. The rear tire which I assume was the same kind is still doing OK after 650 miles. It seemed to me at the time to be ridiculous that a tire would wear out so quickly. I rode two vision recumbent bikes with skinnier tires for 25 years without them wearing out or ever even having a flat. So I bought two of the duro tires from Amazon and they wore through after about 120 miles. So then I bought two Kenda Kraze tires from Rad in Seattle. After about 120 miles I noticed today that I am seeing the green inner layer. Maybe I am being naive but you would think if they can make a car tire that will go for 40,000 miles they could make a bike tire that could go at least a few thousand miles. I guess a tadpole trike puts more pressure on the front tires. Has anybody found 20 x 4.25 tires for pavement and gravel that last longer than a few hundred miles? Or is that the best one can expect?

Attachments

• tire.JPG
    tire.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 516
Thanks for the review of the various 4" tires. I purchased a SunSeeker Fat Tad trike in May of 2020. It came stock with Kenda tires. After about 300 miles both front tire wore through and I had blowouts. The rear tire which I assume was the same kind is still doing OK after 650 miles. It seemed to me at the time to be ridiculous that a tire would wear out so quickly. I rode two vision recumbent bikes with skinnier tires for 25 years without them wearing out or ever even having a flat. So I bought two of the duro tires from Amazon and they wore through after about 120 miles. So then I bought two Kenda Kraze tires from Rad in Seattle. After about 120 miles I noticed today that I am seeing the green inner layer. Maybe I am being naive but you would think if they can make a car tire that will go for 40,000 miles they could make a bike tire that could go at least a few thousand miles. I guess a tadpole trike puts more pressure on the front tires. Has anybody found 20 x 4.25 tires for pavement and gravel that last longer than a few hundred miles? Or is that the best one can expect?

You can get away with 20x4 tires for your need of 20x4.25...the stock inner tubes for my tires were 20x4.20 and the tires themselves were 20x4 so with these tiny discrepancies it does not matter. I have gotten 20x4.25 inner tubes that worked fine and also 20x4 inner tubes that equally worked fine.

With that being said, it seems you have been getting tires that have little bead/knobs on them for road riding but road riding can take a lot out of tire tread as you can see. I have been using knobbier tires and they have been lasting a good 1000miles before tread is running bare. Here are some Mongoose 20x4 Knobby tires for 30 bucks, comparing these to the Vee Misson Control 20x4 Knobby tires for 60...

Knobs=more tread...More tread=longer lasting tires.

You can get away with 20x4 tires for your need of 20x4.25...the stock inner tubes for my tires were 20x4.20 and the tires themselves were 20x4 so with these tiny discrepancies it does not matter. I have gotten 20x4.25 inner tubes that worked fine and also 20x4 inner tubes that equally worked fine.

With that being said, it seems you have been getting tires that have little bead/knobs on them for road riding but road riding can take a lot out of tire tread as you can see. I have been using knobbier tires and they have been lasting a good 1000miles before tread is running bare. Here are some Mongoose 20x4 Knobby tires for 30 bucks, comparing these to the Vee Misson Control 20x4 Knobby tires for 60...

Knobs=more tread...More tread=longer lasting tires.
Thanks. I will give them a try.

I ended up going with vee mission whitewall tires they were 120tpi everthing else I was looking at was 30tpi. Hopefully the raring is accurate and they last a long time. Got them from enki cycles for 120 shipped

Attachments

• 20200810_112907.jpg
    20200810_112907.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 503
Youre running that tire over inflated . Your tire may have whatever tire pressure youre running on the side of it but the tire says otherwise .

Beardy & everyone else. Im thinking of getting myself those Kendra 20x4.25 tires. My area is mostly payment concert & gravel. Long as I can get to point A to point B in a chilling ride. Like Fr0d0 said would they actually fit ? Does anyone have them on their bike ?
My sister just got the Kenda 20x4.25" and she really likes - more stable and cushy ride than the 3.3"

I'm looking for recommendations on 20x4 fat tire for Rad Mini 4 knobby - I've ridden on the Kenda knobbies that you have to buy from Rad, but was looking for another source to compare, like mongoose on amazon - reviews seem positive and but there was some bad reviews citing chaoyang knock offs. Anyhelp would be great. Thanks

Good morning folks!
Amazon has the Mongoose 20x4 tires back in stock if anyone's looking to stock up.

So, to my dismay yesterday, I was out and about and found that the Pedal assist sensor wasn’t working. So, thankfully, although it wasn’t on the order I was able to get home with the throttle on its own.

Found just now that the sensor cable has been trapped by something severing the wires…. not was I was expecting. Lord only knows how it got trapped there, it’s at the point where the forks meet the frame and was cable tied down

edit: a further view shows the forks have trapped it when turning. Doh. Check your cables fellas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 258
Glad to help OB!
I'm also running the Tannus system in my CST tires .. so far so good with 7 miles on the bike,,,lol!
I'll be on a lot of different surfaces from big gravel to dirt trails out fishing.. I carry an extra tube and patches.
I'm lineman big at 6'3" 290 so I wanted to take all possible precautions.. even used the "Gorilla tape" trick for inside as the rim-strip over the spoke ends.
Cheers !

Back