2023 SuperLight R&M: Fantasy thread

Interesting idea, but I wonder if there's a market for lightweight R&M bikes. As you say R&M has developed brand equity and that brand is high quality, but heavy and solid bikes. Would the typical R&M buyer want a lightweight bike? If someone wanted a lightweight high performance ebike would they choose R&M over Specialized, Trek, Pinerallo, or Colnago?

Maybe, maybe not.

RIESE & MULLER ROADSTER​

The 2021 model is about 50 lbs. That is going to be the lightest eBike from R&M.

I just looked up the Roadster and it's a nice looking bike. What I don't understand is the gearing. You have a powerful Bosch motor and it comes with a single 42T chain ring and an 11-46 cassette. A high gear of 42/11 when you have a motor? Seems pretty low for a high gear when you have motor assistance. Similarly a 42/46 low gear for a bike not meant to be ridden off road seems pretty low when you consider you have a motor.

Not sure why they wouldn't go with a 50T chain ring. That would appear to be a better range of usable gears, but maybe that's just my preference and others like the lower gears.

I just looked up the Roadster and it's a nice looking bike. What I don't understand is the gearing. You have a powerful Bosch motor and it comes with a single 42T chain ring and an 11-46 cassette.
It really depends on what exactly Roadster version you're talking about -- and you seem to talk on Roadster Touring. You're from Canada where assistance stops at 32 km/h. With 40-622 wheels and 42-11 gearing, you hit 32 km/h at pretty low cadence of 63 rpm. Why would you need any higher gearing there? Now, the 28 mph (or 45 km/h) Roadster Touring HS has 48-11 gearing, and you could hit the max assistance speed at cadence of 78 rpm.

I have looked at the Roadster specs and looks. Very nice e-bike, resembling in many aspects (also: weight) similar offerings from Specialized or Trek.

Ah, I forgot about the limiter. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm saying I don't like the lower limits in Canada! I wish we could have the 45 km/hr. limit the US riders get.

But I suppose I shouldn't complain, at least 32 km/hr. is somewhat useful. I would find the 25 km/hr. of other jurisdictions to be far too restrictive to be useful.

Why are you so dedicated to the brand - over functionality?
Not sure at whom your comment was directed but I have purchased 7 ebikes in the last 1.5 years and not one was a repeat brand buy. With so many bikes actually made in Asia, it is nice to find hand built bikes like the Riese & Muller where the emphasis is quality over quantity (function and form). That doesn't mean there are no quality related issues and obviously there are some challenges for remote buyers but my first ride on an R&M bike was revelatory for me.

I'm turning 70 soon and at this stage of my life my primary hobby has been golf. I walk when I play so that is beneficial to my health. Since I purchased my first ebike in January 2020, I have logged +/- 7000 miles in the saddle, my BP is lower, minor arthritic conditions in my knees and wrists have improved, I have more energy and I just feel better. What is the value of better health due to a hobby you enjoy?

In an attempt to tie this into the Thread topic, it is my opinion that light weight, low powered ebikes are designed to provide avid cyclists with the ability to maintain a certain esthetic and performance measures to offset age related health/weight factors. Since I was never an avid cyclist (I preferred swimming laps) I am not prejudiced by a strong bike esthetic nor performance maintenance concerns. I have always enjoyed speed (cars, motorcycles, boats) and when bike riding, I like a safe yet brisk pace. I also have a busy life and so in order to get in a good cardio workout, in a reasonable time, my ebike is the perfect tool. Yesterday, I rode 41 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes and that's half the time it takes to play a round of golf. Since I like to ride that distance 4-5 times per week, an ebike is the only means to that end. What I need in an ebike is reliability, comfort, good handling, enough motor/battery power to achieve desired speed/range and good brakes. For me, the weight of the bike is almost irrelevant and the folks at Riese & Muller seem to be on the same page.

Last edited:
Not sure at whom your comment was directed but I have purchased 7 ebikes in the last 1.5 years and not one was a repeat brand buy. With so many bikes actually made in Asia, it is nice to find hand built bikes like the Riese & Muller where the emphasis is quality over quantity (function and form). That doesn't mean there are no quality related issues and obviously there are some challenges for remote buyers but my first ride on an R&M bike was revelatory for me.
It was to the OP of the thread really.

Wiki says R&M bikes are made in Taiwan by a 3rd party.... Is this true?

I have to admit I don't see this extra value....If anything, I'm reminded of the BMW X3... People paid a premium thinking they were buying German, but it was made in Russia... :D

Capture.JPG

It was to the OP of the thread really.

Wiki says R&M bikes are made in Taiwan by a 3rd party.... Is this true?

I have to admit I don't see this extra value....If anything, I'm reminded of the BMW X3... People paid a premium thinking they were buying German, but it was made in Russia... :D

View attachment 88623
Wikipedia is a famously unreliable source of accurate information where anyone can edit copy and introduce false info to advance their own agenda.

Riese & Muller frames are made in Taiwan per R&M specifications and shipped raw to Germany where all the components are gathered. All Riese & Muller bikes are assembled in a new, state of the art manufacturing facility in Germany. Each bike is assembled by a team using a unique assembly process. Checkout this interesting video about how R&M bikes are made.

Last edited:
Back