2021 Turbo Vado 4.0 Fenders and Lights

vvinay

Region
USA
I am purchasing a 21 Turbo Vado 4.0 and it has fenders on it. I will not need fenders or lights in my riding applications and it will not fit my Kuat rack with the front fender on. Can I remove these? I noticed that the rear tail light is incorporated into the fender by the photos. Can this be unplugged and stowed? The front appears to not have lights attached to it. Your help would be appreciated.

I am purchasing a 21 Turbo Vado 4.0 and it has fenders on it. I will not need fenders or lights in my riding applications and it will not fit my Kuat rack with the front fender on. Can I remove these? I noticed that the rear tail light is incorporated into the fender by the photos. Can this be unplugged and stowed? The front appears to not have lights attached to it. Your help would be appreciated.
The unequiped Vado has the rear light wired through the seat post and mounted under the saddle. Your LBS may be able to make the switch for you or you can do it yourself .Search 'seatpost light 'on this forum if noone chimes in.

The 2021 Vado SL 4/5 EQ are the same in regards to the rear fender light - the cable exits the frame near the backside of the motor casing between the chain stays. Your LBS or yourself could just remove the cable but you’ll definitely need some positive method to seal the hole because it’ll be unprotected since the fender is removed. Or just cut the wires an appropriate length and seal the bundle with shrink tube/silicone tie wrapped to a chain stay.

From looking at Kuat racks the bracket only clamps on the front wheel though ? Maybe you can just remove the front fender. Also the fenders can be shortened a good bit in the lower rear of the fender by removing the plastic guard - it’s a 2 piece design.

The Vado SL has the seat post/saddle configuration for the tail light and the normal Vado has it mounted on the fender. I agree with Voltman99 this should be able to be disconnected and sealed up and be able to re-connect at a later time if needed. I don't need the rack or the fenders so that is no issue for me. I tried the Vado SL non-equipment version for this reason but where I live at 6000' and a lot of steep grades in the community the SL's motor did not have enough to help me along like I would have wanted it to and this is why I am considering the normal Vado as it is supposed to have 4x's me. Both my wife and I wear HRM's and we have always been close within 10 beats of each other. She has an Aventon Level that she bought, and we did a ride where we agreed on getting are heart rates to a specific level and riding and I could not keep up with her even with the bike on Turbo mode. So this is why the change over to the Vado.
Thanks for all the input. By the way the Kuat rack I own, the front wheel secure arm has to be compressed on the front tire close to the fork.

The 2021 Vado SL 4/5 EQ are the same in regards to the rear fender light - the cable exits the frame near the backside of the motor casing between the chain stays. Your LBS or yourself could just remove the cable but you’ll definitely need some positive method to seal the hole because it’ll be unprotected since the fender is removed. Or just cut the wires an appropriate length and seal the bundle with shrink tube/silicone tie wrapped to a chain stay.

From looking at Kuat racks the bracket only clamps on the front wheel though ? Maybe you can just remove the front fender. Also the fenders can be shortened a good bit in the lower rear of the fender by removing the plastic guard - it’s a 2 piece design.
A bit late to the party, but I've been using the Kuat rack with my Vade EQ 5.0 SL with the fender on. Seems secure, and doesn't damage the fender - just presses it down against the tire a bit. But its flexible. The Kuat arm sits close to the fork, and past the top of the wheel - so it isn't going anywhere. (the compressed Kuat arm is shorter than the wheel diameter in that location).

A bit late to the party, but I've been using the Kuat rack with my Vade EQ 5.0 SL with the fender on. Seems secure, and doesn't damage the fender - just presses it down against the tire a bit. But its flexible. The Kuat arm sits close to the fork, and past the top of the wheel - so it isn't going anywhere. (the compressed Kuat arm is shorter than the wheel diameter in that location).
Thanks for the info! What model of Kuat?

for my vado SL 4.0 equiped, i use my sherpa kuat rack. i do use a bungee cord for more stability. so far.. working well.

Thanks for the info! What model of Kuat?
Kuat Transfer 2.0 (single bike model)
Max bike weight is 60# - fine for the SL - probably not for some heavier ebikes.
I do use the provided velcro strap which is supposed to be optional for bikes under 40 pounds.
Jay

Kuat Transfer 2.0 (single bike model)
Max bike weight is 60# - fine for the SL - probably not for some heavier ebikes.
I do use the provided velcro strap which is supposed to be optional for bikes under 40 pounds.
Jay
Next time you use the rack could you please post a picture? That would be greatly appreciated. I have to invest quite a lot to import it to Japan so I kind of wanna visualize it… Thanks!

@VoltMan99

I've got the Kuat Sherpa 2. It is a two bike carrier and it can hold TWO FORTY pound bikes. I don't believe there is loading ramp option/accessory for dealing with heavier bikes.

The Transfer 2 looks like an interesting rack with its ability to go from single bike to multiples.

Next time you use the rack could you please post a picture? That would be greatly appreciated. I have to invest quite a lot to import it to Japan so I kind of wanna visualize it… Thanks!
I took pictures of the rack upright, folded down and empty and with the bike in the normal position and tilted so you can access trunk or hatch with the bike loaded. Hope it helps.

Jay

Attachments

• [EXTERNAL]_Photos.zip
    931.7 KB · Views: 229
@VoltMan99

I've got the Kuat Sherpa 2. It is a two bike carrier and it can hold TWO FORTY pound bikes. I don't believe there is loading ramp option/accessory for dealing with heavier bikes.

The Transfer 2 looks like an interesting rack with its ability to go from single bike to multiples.

Some of my bike buddies have the Sherpa 2. It is sturdier, with higher capacity, and the arm locking mechanism seems a bit more bullet proof. The Transfer is lighter, and came in a one bike version (making it lighter still). And cheaper! All played into my decision tree. :)
J

I will add that fenders can interfere with locating the locking arm. The arm's hook is suppose to be as close to the fork as possible. This location is intended to keep the locking arm potentially slipping off the front of the wheel. Close to the fork means that it is in a narrower area of the wheel radius and can't creep forward. It can distort fenders - some use pipe insulation or foam to keep the fenders from deflecting.

Both my Vado and Lisa's Como have fenders, so bike racks with tire arms won't work for us. Because of this, I recently purchased the Hyperax Volt 2 e-bake hitch rack which clamps on to the center bar. Lisa's Como is a step-thru so this necessitated adding one of the Hyperax crossbars, too. The rack was $389.95 on Amazon less a coupon for $39.00, so all in with the crossbar it came to just over $400. It was delivered last Friday, but I have not yet had a chance to put it together and try it out. I hope to be able to do that this weekend and I will let everyone know how it works. Hyperax says the Volt 2 has a 70lb per bike capacity so it should be plenty for our 50lb & 55lb bikes. I have a Dodge 2500 4X4 long bed truck already set up for towing with a 2" hitch, so no additional cost for that. I have transported the bikes in the bed before, and it is not a problem with my sons to help, but lifting the bikes up and down by myself is a challenge. My truck isn't lifted, but because it is a 4X4, it is almost a foot higher than a 2WD truck. Because of that and the weight of the bikes I decided to try a rack, and the Hyperax Volt 2 seems to be a good balance between features, functionality and cost.

I will add that fenders can interfere with locating the locking arm. The arm's hook is suppose to be as close to the fork as possible. This location is intended to keep the locking arm potentially slipping off the front of the wheel. Close to the fork means that it is in a narrower area of the wheel radius and can't creep forward. It can distort fenders - some use pipe insulation or foam to keep the fenders from deflecting.
The arm does compress the fender ahead of the front fork. But it is flexible, and so far has not damaged it. But it would be more secure if it locked down on the wheel instead of the fender.
Jay

Back