2020 Vado 3.0 winter tire fit

Greg Smith

Region
USA
Winter is upon us and this is my first year riding in snow and ice with an e-bike. Previously, I rode a Trek 520 with 35-622 Schwalbe Winter Marathon Plus tires. I think these tires are too narrow to fit the rims on my Vado, so I'm looking to purchase new tires.

The OEM tires on the Vado are 47-622. Unfortunately, the winter tires I'm comparing do not come in that size. They are either 40, 42, or 50mm.

Will a 50-622 with studs fit under the Vado's fenders without rubbing? Naturally, I'd prefer going with the wider tire in Winter if possible. Anyone running Schwalbe 50-622 Winter Marathon Plus tires on a Vado? The fenders on the Vado are not really adjustable.

Greg,
I own and ride a 2017 Vado 5.0. I do not think this e-bike (which is almost indentical to the current Vado 6.0) is different to 2020 Vado 3.0 in terms of wheel size or fender fit. Both my Vado 5.0 and the current Vado 6.0 come with 51-622 Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres.

Two seasons ago, Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus were available in 47-622 size so I bought them and used for a winter. However, I was curious if the 50-622 MW+ would fit, and I bought them for the 2021/2022 winter. A full success. The tyres fit the Vado fenders perfectly and without any rubbing! I have ridden for 1,103 km on them without any issues!

1669024502020.png

1669024556521.png

Greg,
I own and ride a 2017 Vado 5.0. I do not think this e-bike (which is almost indentical to the current Vado 6.0) is different to 2020 Vado 3.0 in terms of wheel size or fender fit. Both my Vado 5.0 and the current Vado 6.0 come with 51-622 Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres.

Two seasons ago, Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus were available in 47-622 size so I bought them and used for a winter. However, I was curious if the 50-622 MW+ would fit, and I bought them for the 2021/2022 winter. A full success. The tyres fit the Vado fenders perfectly and without any rubbing! I have ridden for 1,103 km on them without any issues!

View attachment 140704
View attachment 140705
Oh wow! Thanks for the reply. Very specific and helpful info.
Here in the midwest USA, most LBS just don't carry anything other than 3-season, recreational bike parts. If they carry winter tires at all, they are very limited in the sizes they carry. So, I'm having to order them from a bike shop in Germany and the shipping is significant, so I wanted to have peace of mind before ordering.

Thank you.

Oh wow! Thanks for the reply. Very specific and helpful info.
Here in the midwest USA, most LBS just don't carry anything other than 3-season, recreational bike parts. If they carry winter tires at all, they are very limited in the sizes they carry. So, I'm having to order them from a bike shop in Germany and the shipping is significant, so I wanted to have peace of mind before ordering.

Thank you.
Yes, I can understand it. I was the most surprised myself after I did the swap. I was afraid the studs would be rubbing the fender. It looks Schwalbe designed the tyre the way 50 mm included the studs.

Norwegian Nokian tires are a great option. I’ve been on them for nearly a decade. A second set of rims makes it really easy to switch out.

while some dolts think Norwegians aren’t winter bike riders, Oslo did this in 2020,

In October, the city of Oslo launched a subsidy program to reimburse ambitious cyclists for half the cost of equipping their bikes with studded tires, which provide much-needed extra traction on snow and ice. The subsidy applied not only to the tires themselves, but also to workshops for fitting and installing the tires. More than 4,000 people applied for the funds within the first five days, prompting city officials to expand the program to accommodate more riders.

Oslo, like many cities, has seen a substantial uptick in biking recently, with two-wheeled trips up by more than half over last year as of September. As Heidi Sørensen, director of Norway’s Climate Agency, told Norwegian newspaper Dagsavisen, “We want to give cyclists an opportunity to continue with the good trend in the winter.” The government hopes the program will help normalize winter cycling and demonstrate that it is not just for die-hard enthusiasts.

Norwegian Nokian tires are a great option. I’ve been on them for nearly a decade. A second set of rims makes it really easy to switch out.
Finnish. It would be nice if you have shown a link to a site where the bike Nokian studded tyres could be bought.

You can order the Schwalbe tires from the North American site which is in Vancouver BC but they ship US orders through Ferndale WA to keep the shipping cost normal. Personally I would go slightly smaller to allow space for snow and debris but it depends on your local conditions. You don't want to encounter a jammed tire. I use to use studded tires for commuting in occasional morning ice. I purchased the tires during the summer months when they were closeouts on sale but that was several years ago. 45North has added studded tires to their winter gear and seem to be more available in the US even though they are in Minnesota. The Finish Nokian bicyle tires are referred to as Nokian - Suomi. A goggle search turns up the Suomi site ( suomityres.fi ) for bicycle tires so maybe they reorganized or sold the bicycle tire division.

Winter is upon us and this is my first year riding in snow and ice with an e-bike. Previously, I rode a Trek 520 with 35-622 Schwalbe Winter Marathon Plus tires. I think these tires are too narrow to fit the rims on my Vado, so I'm looking to purchase new tires.

The OEM tires on the Vado are 47-622. Unfortunately, the winter tires I'm comparing do not come in that size. They are either 40, 42, or 50mm.

Will a 50-622 with studs fit under the Vado's fenders without rubbing? Naturally, I'd prefer going with the wider tire in Winter if possible. Anyone running Schwalbe 50-622 Winter Marathon Plus tires on a Vado? The fenders on the Vado are not really adjustable.

Winter riding time, heck yea!!

Here's the setup on my Vado, I swapped over to 27.5 wheels in order to run a larger casing tire of the Schwalbe Ice Spiker pro (best on the market IMO). The front fender touched the knobs only a little during harsh bumps, otherwise they're fine.

Feel free to message should you have any additional q's

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_162317588_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210213_162317588_HDR.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210213_122804476.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122804476.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210213_122813923.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122813923.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20210213_111208.jpg