2020 Giant E-Bike Models and Photos

t_h_k

I ducked into the local Giant store in Victoria, Canada yesterday. They had several of the 2020 models on display and said there would be 27 ebike models in total this year. Here are a couple of highlights. Sorry in advance for photo quality. I expect the details are on the Giant Canada website.

The Fastroad E+ EX PRO looked like the replacement for my Explore E+ 1. The main points were:
- smaller battery (375WH); said they did a study and most users did not require higher capacity due to length of rides so they chose to reduce weight
- looks lighter and more streamlined; frame tubes much narrower, esp. around top of seat stays
- overall seemed to be at least 5 pounds lighter in lift test (no science at all in that)
- only one chainring on front and no front derailleur

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_302e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_302c.jpg

They also had a nice looking gravel bike. Shimano GRX components and 375 WH battery.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3031.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_302f.jpg

As a very happy Toughroad owner I am intrigued by that Revolt, but mine has a 500 battery. I get why they are leaning to the smaller one with the extra pack, but I would have to have that and there’s another little pile of cash. It would add up to some pretty decent range for touring operations, though.

Thanks for posting. I’m surprised your store already has a Revolt! They arent shipping those here for a while yet. Wish there was a way to power lights on that machine for dual use as a commuter. I sat on a fast road the other day, it’s the replacement for the Quick E, not the Explore.

I'm not sold on the smaller battery. I like the lineup and pricing is reasonable, but as Dave says I'd probably need the range extender which is pretty pricey.

Will have to see what the competition offers before deciding which way to go. If the Giant had a 500 or 600 wh battery and maybe only another $500 or so then I think I'd get the Giant no question.

I'm pretty excited for Revolt E+. I think it solves a couple issues I've had including chain retention and tire width on the Road E+ and figure, as battery capacity improves you can add bigger and bigger extensions.

I saw that the 250Wh extension was ~$400 overseas. Put a 180mm rotor on the front and 46T chainring on the bike and it is a very capable roadie.

I'm not sold on the smaller battery. I like the lineup and pricing is reasonable, but as Dave says I'd probably need the range extender which is pretty pricey.

Will have to see what the competition offers before deciding which way to go. If the Giant had a 500 or 600 wh battery and maybe only another $500 or so then I think I'd get the Giant no question.

I'm looking for an ebike I can gravel with, and the Revolt is super intriguing, but I agree that the smaller battery is a huge minus for me. Its a little weird that, in a time where everyone is moving to more capacity and longer range, Giant decided to reduce their battery pretty much across the lineup. If the Revolt had a more standard 500whr battery I'd probably have one ordered already. As it is, I'm kinda waiting for some reviews to come out and discuss practical range and costs of the external range extender.

In Canada the range extender isn't shown on the website. They do show the 500 wh battery for $1,150 Cdn. - It would be nice if they gave the buyer an option to choose the battery when buying.

None of them are listed as compatible with the Revolt though. It would be great if they offered a 500whr as an upgrade when you purchase though!

Does anyone has pricing detail about the range extender (in Canada)?

Also surprised by the smaller batteries. Having the choice of batteries would solve this kind of problems. Sure, they say that most riders have enough juice with the 375Wh battery but what about the rest of us? I need to have at least 65-75km of range and I'm not convinced that 375Wh is enough! Also when I factor in the battery degradation over time.

I think they made a mistake. I would have looked no further than the Fastroad 2020 if it had a 500Wh battery...

Last edited:
The bike I had prior to the ToughRoad had a 400Wh battery, and while I loved the bike, range anxiety was a constant presence on every ride. Anything over 40 miles meant I had to bring the charger with me just in case, and then worry about where to find some juice. Going to the 500Wh battery on the Giant was a huge relief and enhancer to my frame of mind out riding. I just can’t see this going all the way down to 375. I’d have to have the extender on every ride, which means more money to buy the thing, more weight on the bike and less room for water bottles. Can’t get there.

I think Giant is going to have a really hard time selling their 2020 ebikes after this strategic mistake. I'm guessing in about 7-9 months from now you'll see huge discounts on Giant electric bikes as they try to blow out old models.

I think Giant is going to have a really hard time selling their 2020 ebikes after this strategic mistake. I'm guessing in about 7-9 months from now you'll see huge discounts on Giant electric bikes as they try to blow out old models.
I agree totally. At a time when Bosch has upped the capacity of its Powertube batteries to 625Wh, why on earth would Giant cut the capacity on so many of its Ebikes?

Now they have to rely on dealers to cleverly convince hapless buyers that they don’t need the extra battery capacity. If I were a Giant ebike dealer, I’d be more than a little ticked off. I guess they’ll have to try to sell the idea that Yamaha’s motor uses less electricity than Bosch’s.

According to the local Giant dealer, most riders don't use the full capacity today and they want to make the bikes lighter. Whether I believe that or not ...

According to the local Giant dealer, most riders don't use the full capacity today and they want to make the bikes lighter. Whether I believe that or not ...
That’s a good line, but it doesn’t pass the smell test. I routinely burn my newish 500Wh battery down to one bar after less than 2 hours. And who cares if the bike is 20 ounces lighter? Mine is 50 lbs, and most are well north of 40.

Indeed. I'm thinking now that if I can get my head around the fact that I'll need the range extender 100% of the time for my use case, I'll be able to grab a Fastroad E+ EX PRO with a substantial discount comes next summer/early autumn.

"There are EnergyPaks with 300, 400 and 500Wh. Why is the housing always the same size?
• For different capacities, Giant uses cells with different densities. This way, the housing can be uniform and fit a variety of bikes.

Can I retrofit a larger capacity Giant EnergyPak on my bike?
• Yes, Giant EnergyPaks are interchangeable."

I guess there is some hope for a 500Wh battery then in the Fastroad EX PRO

Source: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/news/what-parts-need-service-and-how-often/22941

I think I posted in my other thread...
My Explore+3 range: 185lbs, mostly flat, average speed about 15, PAS3 - I use about 40% of my battery in 20-25 miles. The Explore has the 400w pack.

Very satisfied with this range, even 80% of it would be okay.

IMO this bike is one of the best deals out there for a yamaha mid-drive. The ride is just outstanding. At level 5 it is virtually effortless, and why I almost always use level 3.
It's pretty easy to hit max assist speed at any assist level. A little more speed would be nice from time to time. However, if you unleash these things and ride them closer to 25mph, my guess is you would cut the range by about half.

Just got an answer from Giant Canada where I asked if there was a way to fit a 500Wh battery on the Fastroad E+. Sadly, it's not the answer I was hoping for!

Giant Bicycles Canada said:
Hi,

Currently it is not possible to fit the 500wh battery into the Fastroad E+.

Regards,
JH

Well, I'm not against the Range Extender to achieve the range I need. It will depends on the rebate I can get next autumn.

One positive on the Range Extender is that you wouldn't need to carry the extra battery weight unless you needed it. My Giant Explore is heavy enough already.

Sure, but 95% of my use case is commuting for 65km (40miles) with an expected avg speed of 32km/h (20 mph). I have some range anxiety!

Back