2020 Como 3 speed limiter question

Marjorie

I have a wonderful new Como 3 with about 200 miles on it. Everything is perfect except it cuts me off at 19.8mph. I see many places that the max speed should be 28mph. (Maybe there are restrictions in Michigan?) does anyone have any onsite into this? I’d like to go a bit faster.

I don’t think the 2020 3.0 is meant to be a 28mph bike. The motor, 1.2E( Brose C), is set up to be efficient and smooth, not a speed pedelec.
It may still be possible for your Specialized dealer to change the cut off speed. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea.
It’s interesting to see how unwilling Specialized and/or their dealers seem to be to communicate any intension concerning speed for the different Vado models.

I don’t think the 2020 3.0 is meant to be a 28mph bike. The motor, 1.2E( Brose C), is set up to be efficient and smooth, not a speed pedelec.
It may still be possible for your Specialized dealer to change the cut off speed. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea.
It’s interesting to see how unwilling Specialized and/or their dealers seem to be to communicate any intension concerning speed for the different Vado models.
Thank you - I agree that it’s probably not meant to be a 28mph bike. But I sure hit that 19.8 often! I’ll call the dealer and see if they can help.

My Specialized has a decal on the frame stating what class e-bike it is. To go 28 mph, you should have a class 3 decal.

Thank you - I agree that it’s probably not meant to be a 28mph bike. But I sure hit that 19.8 often! I’ll call the dealer and see if they can help.
Our e-bikes have strong motors so if you ride in Turbo or Sport mode you will reach 19.8mph real quickly. I have a EU Vado with 15.5mph (25kmph) assist limit so I hit that roof all the time if I use Turbo or Sport mode. I usually stay in Eco, moderate speed gives a good range :)

From my study on this question I’m pretty sure the 2020 3.0 was downspeced from ‘19 3.0 (28-mph) to the same components and specs as the ‘19 model 2.0, which is a 20-mph bike. 2.0 was dropped for 2020. I have two 2020 3.0 Comos arriving in the next few days and will confirm then.

From my study on this question I’m pretty sure the 2020 3.0 was downspeced from ‘19 3.0 (28-mph) to the same components and specs as the ‘19 model 2.0, which is a 20-mph bike. 2.0 was dropped for 2020. I have two 2020 3.0 Comos arriving in the next few days and will confirm then.
Thank you - when I was studying these bikes early in the spring, I found conflicting information. Your explanation explains the conflicts. I thought I was getting the specs of the 2019. Even though there are times I'd like to pass the 19.8mph, it really doesn't matter because it is SO much fun to ride no matter what the speed!

I believe this is correct. According to my LBS (talked to him today), the 2020 Como 4.0 now has the Class 3 speed, the 2020 Como 3.0 has the Class 1 speed. Their marketing is a bit confusing for sure.

I can confirm now that our two new US 2020 Como 3.0 bikes have assist limited to 20-mph, as I was expecting.

Hi Bob,

Yes.. it can be sometimes, even though I've tried to include all the details. Basically, the only Como that isn't compatible is the one that has a Center Lock rotor and hub. It seems that the 2020 Como 3.0 is just a regular 6-bolt hub & rotor combination which makes it compatible. For anyone confused here are the hubs side by side:

Disregard that it says SRAM on the left hub, this is a Formula DHT-148S hub which is rebranded and sold under many names (SRAM 746, Specialized HiLo, Stout XC Pro, XLC Evo etc) including Specialized. This hub is featured on almost all models of the Vado, Como, Levo and Kenevo bikes. Only the one or two models of the Como feature the Shimano FH-MT200B hub pictured on the right. This is a Center Lock hub and comes with a Center Lock braking rotor - this is not compatible with PLANET3!

So, as long as you walk up to the rear of your bike and it has a 6-bolt standard rotor (by any manufacturer, this can be a Tektro, Shimano, SRAM etc) and that silver (steel) locknut with wrench cutouts on the hub endcap - you can have a PLANET3 on your bike. And you should. :)

As far as installation instructions go - yes, specifically for the Vado & Como they'll be on the YouTube channel in a few days, but it's almost the same for all bikes and you can already take a look at some others here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXKf5UtYe43pwqswJPGna6A

Hi Bob,

Yes.. it can be sometimes, even though I've tried to include all the details. Basically, the only Como that isn't compatible is the one that has a Center Lock rotor and hub. It seems that the 2020 Como 3.0 is just a regular 6-bolt hub & rotor combination which makes it compatible. For anyone confused here are the hubs side by side:

View attachment 37669View attachment 37670

Disregard that it says SRAM on the left hub, this is a Formula DHT-148S hub which is rebranded and sold under many names (SRAM 746, Specialized HiLo, Stout XC Pro, XLC Evo etc) including Specialized. This hub is featured on almost all models of the Vado, Como, Levo and Kenevo bikes. Only the one or two models of the Como feature the Shimano FH-MT200B hub pictured on the right. This is a Center Lock hub and comes with a Center Lock braking rotor - this is not compatible with PLANET3!

So, as long as you walk up to the rear of your bike and it has a 6-bolt standard rotor (by any manufacturer, this can be a Tektro, Shimano, SRAM etc) and that silver (steel) locknut with wrench cutouts on the hub endcap - you can have a PLANET3 on your bike. And you should. :)

As far as installation instructions go - yes, specifically for the Vado & Como they'll be on the YouTube channel in a few days, but it's almost the same for all bikes and you can already take a look at some others here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXKf5UtYe43pwqswJPGna6A

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Bob

Back