2020 Cannondale Synapse Neo 1First Impression

The problem is the Synapse has the WTB Byway TCS, 650b x 47mm tire that seems to be glued to the rim.

If you remove all the air from the tube (removing the valve stem is the easy way to do that), then you should be able to squeeze the tire's sidewalls towards each other and wiggle the tire free. Do you know if the tire is mounted tubeless or not?

Tom, keep us informed on your progress.

A couple of weeks ago I test rode a Specialized Creo and I'd love to do a comparison test ride on a Synapse Neo 1, but there are very few bike shops that sell Cannondale on Vancouver Island and none plan on bringing any in this year. They will order one for me, but I want to test ride any bike before I buy it.

If you remove all the air from the tube (removing the valve stem is the easy way to do that), then you should be able to squeeze the tire's sidewalls towards each other and wiggle the tire free. Do you know if the tire is mounted tubeless or not?
I tried that. Someone else said to lay the bike on its side and stand on the tire to force it in. I tried that and no success. I can't tell if it is tubeless or not. The bike shop where I bought it is shut down because of the lockdown.

Finally, I did it. What a struggle. I watched "Extremeley difficult tubeless tire removal from Enve Carbon rim,"
and found it very comforting-- I then knew that I was not alone. I also saw that some people ended up destroying either the rim or the tire while trying to get the rim off. Now I'm confident that I can be back on the road soon. Thanks so much for the moral support.

So did it turn out to be tubeless? I’m guessing no since you never apparently saw sealant coming out, but maybe it’s time to make it so. With sealant and something like a Dart kit from Stan’s you’d have a lot less to worry about.

Update on riding the Cannondale Synapse Neo 1. Awesome bike. I finally found the sweet spot riding this bike and love riding it. I was having issues getting on and off of the bike. After falling while trying to get on (no body damage), and watching many YouTube videos everything clicked and I am now confident getting on and off of the bike. I think first on what I am doing so slowing down and paying attention helped a lot.

I still struggle getting the battery on and off but can transport the bike with the battery still attachéd. With the electronic shifting the carbon drop- bars etc that were added to the bike, riding this bike is pure fun. I’m hoping to do more riding in the fall when we have cooler weather.

Attachments

• C1BEAA12-4C26-40A0-81E3-3E786037975A.jpeg
    C1BEAA12-4C26-40A0-81E3-3E786037975A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 415
I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. A bike shop in a nearby city has a Neo 1 for sale at a heavy discount. I plan on taking a look at it, but I can't help drooling over the Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3. The downside is it's double the price of the discounted Neo.

Update on riding the Cannondale Synapse Neo 1. Awesome bike. I finally found the sweet spot riding this bike and love riding it. I was having issues getting on and off of the bike. After falling while trying to get on (no body damage), and watching many YouTube videos everything clicked and I am now confident getting on and off of the bike. I think first on what I am doing so slowing down and paying attention helped a lot.

I still struggle getting the battery on and off but can transport the bike with the battery still attachéd. With the electronic shifting the carbon drop- bars etc that were added to the bike, riding this bike is pure fun. I’m hoping to do more riding in the fall when we have cooler weather.

You don't need to take the battery out--just plug in the battery cable to the bike. You'll see-- it's simple and even has an auto-off.

Eventually, I mastered changing flats on the Cannondale synapse. The attached PDF should be of use should anyone have similar problems.

Attachments

• changing a flat and wheel removal on the Synapse Neo SE 2020.pdf
    300 KB · Views: 1,421
Back