2019 Full Seven LT 3.0

Johnitahoe

Just got my new bike. There is a lot of play in the headset. I've tried re-tightening it several times. Never can get rid of the play in it. How far can I tighten it without damaging any parts? Is there a torque setting. Tried many of the ideas on YouTube. Nothing has worked so far. Any ideas? Thanks, John

It is a new or used bike? You have watched YouTube videos on how to adjust the headset and there is still play?

One thing that is not mentioned in some videos is that the end of steering tube needs to be approximately 3mm below the top of the stem so that the compression screw will tighten the bearing. If the steerer tube is too long, you end up merely tightening the top cap against the steerer.

Remove the top cap and see if the steering tube is not too long. If it is, you would need to add another headset spacer under the stem. Once it is the proper length, it requires very little torque to adjust the bearings. You only need enough to compress it and eliminate play. If you crank down on the top cap's screw, you will over-torque the bearing and the steering will not be smooth.

You are brilliant!!! The bike is new but I am 6'5" so as soon as I get a bike I have to modify it before I can ride it. I was trying to put a taller stem on it. You can see in the below pictures that the new stem did not provide enough gap for the compression screw. I put the original stem on for now, but I am wondering can I remove a spacer and put a thinner spacer in so I can accommodate the after market stem. The spec on the bike say aluminum steerer tube 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" so what size and material type spacer would I need? Thanks a bunch!! John
image1-11.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg

You need a 1 1/8" spacer. They are usually made of aluminum, but there are carbon and even ones as well. You can buy kits online with many different sizes from 1mm to 20mm and different colors too. A bike shop might even give you one.

You are brilliant!!! The bike is new but I am 6'5" so as soon as I get a bike I have to modify it before I can ride it. I was trying to put a taller stem on it. You can see in the below pictures that the new stem did not provide enough gap for the compression screw. I put the original stem on for now, but I am wondering can I remove a spacer and put a thinner spacer in so I can accommodate the after market stem. The spec on the bike say aluminum steerer tube 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" so what size and material type spacer would I need? Thanks a bunch!! JohnView attachment 53994View attachment 53995

Easy fix... just add a 5-10mm spacer below your new stem.

I had the same issue upon arrival of my Haibike 10.0, last year, however, the play was not that much as you have described. My LBS took care of it during a 1 year tuneup. In the interim, I torqued it down a bit more. Good Luck!

Back