2019–2020 R&M Homage : Riders' Impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Here is a link to the Ortlieb Ebike Handlebar Mount Note the wider gap between the two side to accommodate the display mount

large_107323_20170130024106.jpg

Here is a link to the Busch & Muller 701 left handlebar end mirror that I like at Propel https://propelbikes.com/product/busch-muller-701-mirror-e-bikes/

b-m-701-mirror.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 35423
Marc & Brooklyn Boy…
Starting with the most obvious…
  • Fidlock water bottle (shown removed) which has a magnetic mount: twist slightly clockwise to remove; hold close to the connector to have it 'grabbed' firmly into stowed position. I've found this superior to handlebar-mounted cages and the Fabric stub system (on Delite & Charger) which must be pushed down to secure with this action resulting in the mount twisting around the handlebar.
    Caution: Fidlock and Fabric bottles are more difficult to squeeze than conventional water bottles.
  • KlickFix handlebar adapter E (with red locking button). Look carefully and you'll see thin securing cables inside the mounting arms. The adapter has been offset to the left to make room for…
  • Quadlock Out Front smartphone mount. Also available with black lever (at extra cost!); the blue lever is hardly noticeable when my iPhone is mounted (which is always, except for when photos are being taken!).
  • Mirrycle MTB mirror. There is a better option if you are able to mount on the left (Richard, can you help?). Some cyclists prefer to mount their Mirrycle so that the mirror is below the handlebar grip (rather than above and beyond as I have it).
  • Ortlieb Ultimate Six Pro handlebar bag. I also have Rixen+Kaul's equivalent which fits the same KlickFix mount. (I'll write up a comparison soon; suffice it to say that they both have advantages.)
… David
That information is very very helpful. Alaskan also provided an Ortlieb solution. Between the two of you I have picked up so much information. I enjoyed my first ebike (magnum), but in just a few days of Homage riding I am learning so much more about real bike riding. The range of riding options and capabilities on this machine is worth the major expenditure (and it is a big one). Your mount suggestions will solve some of my lingering questions. Thank you.

What are the brands and of handle bar accessories that you have around your Kiox? I just bought a Homage and am trying to figure out the best water bottle, phone and possibly front bag. I looked an ortlieb bag yesterday and the bracket did not look wide enough to go around the kiox display. I like your setup but didn't your accessories when I was originally at the bike store. Your thoughts would be extremely helpful.
View attachment 35423
Marc & Brooklyn Boy…
Starting with the most obvious…
  • Fidlock water bottle (shown removed) which has a magnetic mount: twist slightly clockwise to remove; hold close to the connector to have it 'grabbed' firmly into stowed position. I've found this superior to handlebar-mounted cages and the Fabric stub system (on Delite & Charger) which must be pushed down to secure with this action resulting in the mount twisting around the handlebar.
    Caution: Fidlock and Fabric bottles are more difficult to squeeze than conventional water bottles.
  • KlickFix handlebar adapter E (with red locking button). Look carefully and you'll see thin securing cables inside the mounting arms. The adapter has been offset to the left to make room for…
  • Quadlock Out Front smartphone mount. Also available with black lever (at extra cost!); the blue lever is hardly noticeable when my iPhone is mounted (which is always, except for when photos are being taken!).
  • Mirrycle MTB mirror. There is a better option if you are able to mount on the left (Richard, can you help?). Some cyclists prefer to mount their Mirrycle so that the mirror is below the handlebar grip (rather than above and beyond as I have it).
  • Ortlieb Ultimate Six Pro handlebar bag. I also have Rixen+Kaul's equivalent which fits the same KlickFix mount. (I'll write up a comparison soon; suffice it to say that they both have advantages.)
… David
Thanks David- I'll look into the Fidlock bottle and the KlickFix Handlebar adapter E. I have a Morpheus Labs phone mount which does the job well, i.e. easy to mount (and move) and to lock/unlock the phone. Also the case offers good protection after surviving multiple drops unrelated to biking. I'll send a photo.

I'll look into the Fidlock bottle.
One 'small' omission: the Fidlock base unit attaches to a pair of standard water bottle bosses, so you'll need to buy an adapter such as the KlickFix BottleFix to attach it anywhere at all on a Homage (or the majority of ebikes!).

Any sort of water bottle system (including Fabric) can be attached this way.
klickfix_bottlefix_a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David. I find your detailed set up information very valuable although I have to admit the hardest thing for me to acquire seems to be the bike itself. It arrived in Boston a month ago and apparently has been back and forth to Germany several times due to “shipping company errors”. There’s been a lot of promises, excuses and finger pointing but all I want is the bike! It’s again supposed to arrive at my LBS (an R&M dealer) today. Fingers crossed.

Thanks David. I find your detailed set up information very valuable although I have to admit the hardest thing for me to acquire seems to be the bike itself. It arrived in Boston a month ago and apparently has been back and forth to Germany several times due to “shipping company errors”. There’s been a lot of promises, excuses and finger pointing but all I want is the bike! It’s again supposed to arrive at my LBS (an R&M dealer) today. Fingers crossed.
Mine got hung up a bit too. I finally got it last Friday. Can't get enough of it. I even rode it to work the last two days.

@David Roy I suspect the issues you are having with getting your Homage in a timely fashion might be related to the same issue I had with my Homage. I took delivery on my bike in late March and it immediately developed a loud, obnoxious creaking noise at the joint between the swing arm and frame. It is my understanding that this became a known issue for R&M that required numerous, and rather costly repairs at least in North America and possibly elsewhere. My bike had to be shipped back to the dealer in LA (1,300 miles from Bellingham. WA) repaired and then sent back. I heard that R&M suspended Homage production to re-engineer the frame to keep this from happening again. I could be wrong but they may have pulled bikes back from delivery to fix them before getting into the hands of customers. Here is a link to the thread I posted about my problem and the repair: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2019-homage-noisy-frame-swing-arm-issue.28521/ By the way, I have put 800 miles on the bike since the repair and it is smooth and silent. Looks like a good permanent fix.

2020 Homage …
2020_homage_01.jpg

• From R&M's Open Spaces publication (click link below).
  • GT (not GX) Rohloff?
  • Old motor.
  • No changes, apart from colour? Well, we were treated to an enormous MY2019 upgrade!

Attachments

• Open Spaces.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,944
Last edited by a moderator:
2020 Homage …
View attachment 35508
From R&M's Open Spaces publication.
No changes, apart from colour? GT (not GX) Rohloff? Well, we were treated to an enormous MY2019 upgrade!

It looks like the open spaces only had bikes with new features like the new Bosch Motor or use of power tubes. Why did they include the Homage? It looks unchanged from this year's model, Personally I am glad I got an older Delight. I am not a fan of the power tube batteries, not even on the 2019 Homage where at least it has a functional purpose allowing a two battery configuration. R&M usually gets things really right. The use of power tubes has no advantages I can see besides aesthetics. In all functional considerations the hidden battery is a negative.

It looks like the open spaces only had bikes with new features like the new Bosch Motor or use of power tubes. Why did they include the Homage? It looks unchanged from this year's model, Personally I am glad I got an older Delight. I am not a fan of the power tube batteries, not even on the 2019 Homage where at least it has a functional purpose allowing a two battery configuration. R&M usually gets things really right. The use of power tubes has no advantages I can see besides aesthetics. In all functional considerations the hidden battery is a negative.
Living in Brooklyn and riding into Manhattan’s Upper East side every day since getting my Homage Rohloff I am happy it’s protected and less apt to being damaged when leaning into other bikes and against bike racks. Also, I’d rather not have it visible (I am set up for two batteries but only have the power tube battery now). And besides the Bosch updates, I’m glad there have not been any changes because I’d simply be jealous! Cheers. Love this thread- John

I hope it's cool to post here. This seems to be the top Homage thread, thanks for starting it and your great feedback @David Berry. I met some of your shop's owners in Germany last week.

Let me know what you guys think. I still plan to do videos with Court for EBR as well as post directly, but I wanted to put my hat in the ring as well. I plan to post the videos in the forums and request feedback so I can cover more of the details you'd like to see. I learn so much from listening to you guys on here and I'm really grateful to be part of this community. I hope to post a thread soon for user-requested videos. I'll be posting the 2020 R&M bike videos as well as an overview of the new lineup on September 2nd. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.

I hope it's cool to post here. This seems to be the top Homage thread, thanks for starting it and your great feedback @David Berry. I met some of your shop's owners in Germany last week.

Let me know what you guys think. I still plan to do videos with Court for EBR as well as post directly, but I wanted to put my hat in the ring as well. I plan to post the videos in the forums and request feedback so I can cover more of the details you'd like to see. I learn so much from listening to you guys on here and I'm really grateful to be part of this community. I hope to post a thread soon for user-requested videos. I'll be posting the 2020 R&M bike videos as well as an overview of the new lineup on September 2nd. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.

Chris I will always be sure to read and watch your posts as what you have to say is well informed, well thought out. In addition, your integrity and heart come through loud and clear. Both in your videos with Court as well as your contributions here on the EBR forum.

Although we have never met, I consider you a cyber friend that I suspect I would enjoy spending time with you in real life. I hope that happens sometime, somewhere.

Chris I will always be sure to read and watch your posts as what you have to say is well informed, well thought out. In addition, your integrity and heart come through loud and clear. Both in your videos with Court as well as your contributions here on the EBR forum.

Although we have never met, I consider you a cyber friend that I suspect I would enjoy spending time with you in real life. I hope that happens sometime, somewhere.
Thanks for your kind words. I feel likewise, I learn quite a bit from you as well. Nothing beats practical experience with a bike. I look forward to meeting wherever that might be, I do need to get up to the PNW, I look forward to exploring more up there. I spent some time in the Jefferson Wilderness in Oregon when I was younger and it was a very memorable experience.

Great video! Very informative with professional production values and visuals usually not seen on blog style videos. Looking forward to future episodes.

Chris, yes! Please do as many R&M videos as possible. It's on my expensive wishlist and until I get one I'm starving for any and all information on these bikes. I think getting a better understanding of range on these bikes would be great. How far can one really go on a Charger, etc. Thanks.

Back