2018 Turbo Vado 5.0 power button replacement

IronChefBoyardee

Region
USA
City
Austin, Texas
Has anyone had their power buttons start to crack or split, and had to replace it? My used bike has a small crack and I was looking into a replacement part to get in case it gets worse, and Specialized says it's not replaceable. They have to replace the whole battery, which mine is out of warranty.

From this photo it indeed looks like the power button is part of the battery assembly, not the cover, but maybe there is a way? Alternatively I may have to just figure out a makeshift cover like a vinyl decal to keep out water or prevent it from splitting further.

Attached photos of my power button, and one with the cover removed from Youtube.

Attachments

• tempImageBhwX8C.png
    tempImageBhwX8C.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 133
  • Specialized battery opened.jpg
    Specialized battery opened.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 115
Yeah, no kidding. This bike only had like 600 miles on it when I bought it used.

I guess I'll keep my eye out for faulty batteries on eBay being parted out so I could replace this part of the battery enclosure.

You might try clear 100% silicone caulk and put a thin film over it. Sticks to about anything and impervious to almost everything.

It has a piece of electrical tape over it for now to keep it from getting worse, and I don't often ride in the rain. More concerned about resale value when I save up to get a new bike. I don't want to have to explain that the power button is falling apart.

I emailed a handful of ebike battery repair places in the US to see if they have any extra enclosures from faulty batteries. If not I'll just keep a search on eBay, it looks like faulty batteries don't cost that much when they get posted.

I get this is an older design but it's such a bad idea to integrate a cheap little button cover onto a $1k battery and then you won't sell replacement parts or let qualified 3rd party shops replace parts on them.

I guess I should throw it out here that if anyone in the US has a faulty battery they had replaced and don't need the old one I'll buy the enclosure off of you.

Maybe the previous owner of this bike abused it, but I still think it's bad design to permanently integrate a power button into a battery, and refuse to allow any way to fix one portion of it. Even if this only happens on 1 out of 10 of the batteries.

Back