2016 Turbo S tires are too wide for fender and rack kit!

D C

A very strange thing happened when my bike shop, Belmont Wheelworks, tried to install the fender and rack kit on my 2016 Turbo S.

When they tried to put the rear wheel back on after installing the rack, they found that it would not fit! Apparently the 2016 model came with tires that were 50mm instead of the specced 45mm.

They solved the problem by swapping the 50mm tires for 45mm tires from the 2015 MY.

Anyone else have this problem?

I can easily see how that would be the case. My 2015 Turbo came with 700x45c tires and I have changed them to 700x35c. Plenty of fender clearance but having 700x50 tires could definitely be an issue.

Already the 45s are pretty tight. The studded tires I have 42. Studs take some additional space.

I had to remove the rubber spacer from the middle rack to fender attachment, to get more clearance for the Schwalbe tires. The front is a little marginal. I think they focused a little to much on style for the Turbo fenders. I know they could have done better. There was a Specialized commuter bike at work with factory fenders that were the proper length front and back.

Last edited:
I thought the Turbo S comes with 45 mm tires. But I agree with Allan, the mud guards are more for decoration than anything else. The front guard needs at least 10 cm more in the lower end and there should be more clearance overall. And another thing that I don't like is the attachments close to the axle; they move in hard bumps and the guard starts to drag when it touches the tire.

Last edited:
I am glad I live in San Diego where I don't need fenders because I think they look awful. Just my preference so don't slam me please.... :D
Even though I ride mostly on the street, I like the typical mountain bike look of no fenders.
But the main reason is I had to pay $400+ for a bike carrier that would handle the weight of 2 Turbos and the arm that swings up has to clamp down on the front tire so I couldn't put fenders on if I wanted to.

@John Dombrowski: What I meant with my post was that if you have to have guards, the city kit sure looks sleek but it does not do the job of guarding your feet from the mud, so they are pretty useless. It never rains in San Diego?

Back