2016 ST2 vs Specialized Turbo S

No Name

If money is not an issue, would you get a 2016 ST2 or a 2016 Specialized Turbo S ?

My commute is 7 miles on way and I'll be doing the commute rain/shine snow/sunny day.

I haven't seen any comparisons recently and the 2016 models are much different than when I was looking before. I already placed a deposit on a Turbo, but after seeing the video I'm torn again. I don't like the ST2 look that much, but I love the tech.

:D
If money is not an issue, would you get a 2016 ST2 or a 2016 Specialized Turbo S ?

My commute is 7 miles on way and I'll be doing the commute rain/shine snow/sunny day.

I haven't seen any comparisons recently and the 2016 models are much different than when I was looking before. I already placed a deposit on a Turbo, but after seeing the video I'm torn again. I don't like the ST2 look that much, but I love the tech.
If money is not an issue buy them both...ride one each day and the cream will rise to the top. Sell the looser to me... Both bikes are nice rides.

These are different bikes in ride quality, handling, and looks. Both are well-built AND purpose-built ebikes from the ground up. Both have 500W direct drive motors that will get you to 28mph quickly. The Turbo has a slightly more aggressive geometry, is lighter and more nimble, has a minimalist approach to display, and has a slightly smaller battery. Stromer ST2 is a little more comfortable, has more sophisticated electronics (and in my opinion a slightly more sophisticated controller for smoother performance) and is heavier. Groupsets are pretty much on par. Both have good range with the Turbo providing 2 power levels with regenerative capability with the Stromer providing 3 power levels with one of them tuneable.

After test riding both, pick the one you like the best, You can't go wrong with either. The other issue is service and support. Buying locally from an authorized dealer is important for after sale service and support.

Weight should definitely be a consideration if you plan on going up some stairs or putting the bike onto a bike rack.

I have had nothing but excellent support from Specialized with respect to my Turbo. I'm not saying this is the norm but I also had an issue with a Stromer and got really crappy support from Stromer. Crazy Lenny saved the day - excellent person, excellent dealer no matter where in the union you live.

If money were not an issue:

1) Test ride them both in the same day.

2) Stopwatch time from 0-28mph

3) Purchase the winner.

Ive found that the difference in torque is very pronounced between these two. There is a hill near my house that I have test rode multiple e- bikes on and though they were all 500w bikes they all went up the hill at very different speeds. Not sure if that's important to you but torque is a huge deal for my commute.

If you're going to commute 7 miles to NIH, both bikes should handle w/o any problem.

62lbs - ST2

54.5lbs - Turbo S

Turbo is lighter but you need to take into account that Turbo doesn't come with a fender or rack, so that will add 5-7lbs easily.

814Whr battery - ST2 (can take 983Whr battery in future)
48V system

702Whr battery - Turbo S 2016
36V system

This could make a huge difference in terms of power draw and ability to maintain speed.

If you're on Beach Dr and want to sustain 25mph with the roadies ;) higher voltage system is better.

In the DMV area, you have some really competent Turbo dealers (Spokes Etc, Performance Bicycles, City Bikes etc). Stromer lacks in that aspect.

I will be receiving my loaner ST2-s in the month of March 2016. You're welcome to test ride if you wish to. If you decide to go with Turbo, I would love to test ride that bike :)

Last edited:
If you're going to commute 7 miles to NIH, both bikes should handle w/o any problem.

62lbs - ST2

54.5lbs - Turbo S

Turbo is lighter but you need to take into account that Turbo doesn't come with a fender or rack, so that will add 5-7lbs easily.

814Whr battery - ST2 (can take 983Whr battery in future)
48V system

702Whr battery - Turbo S 2016
36V system

This could make a huge difference in terms of power draw and ability to maintain speed.

If you're on Beach Dr and want to sustain 25mph with the roadies ;) higher voltage system is better.

In the DMV area, you have some really competent Turbo dealers (Spokes Etc, Performance Bicycles, City Bikes etc). Stromer lacks in that aspect.

I will be receiving my loaner ST2-s in the month of March 2016. You're welcome to test ride if you wish to. If you decide to go with Turbo, I would love to test ride that bike :)
Ravi - I have both of these bikes in the shop as you probably know. You'd be surprised how well the Turbo S holds the high 20's. The way I look at it is if you want a sportier ride go for the Turbo, if you want a bit more comfort the ST2 is where it's at. There is certainly more criteria to consider, but I think if I was to break it down in my head, that's the simplest way to think of it. At the moment I've spent much more time on the ST2, but I plan to ride the Turbo S much more once the app is released. I hope to be able to provide much more details about it soon.

Ravi - I have both of these bikes in the shop as you probably know. You'd be surprised how well the Turbo S holds the high 20's. The way I look at it is if you want a sportier ride go for the Turbo, if you want a bit more comfort the ST2 is where it's at. There is certainly more criteria to consider, but I think if I was to break it down in my head, that's the simplest way to think of it. At the moment I've spent much more time on the ST2, but I plan to ride the Turbo S much more once the app is released. I hope to be able to provide much more details about it soon.

Hi Chris,
I agree with you about Turbo being a bit more sporty owing to 7lbs weight difference.
There is no doubt in my mind about Turbo holding speed as well. The main difference I see is the motor voltage it is running at i.e., 36V.
At lower voltage, you need higher amps to maintain ~25mph speed compared to any other 48V system. Up the voltage, you will minimize amp draw. So, doesn't matter what motor system they use (GoSwiss or TDCM or BionX), a 36V system will draw more amps and the range will be less.

Right now I have Easy Motion Nitro City which is again a 48V system and I am able to do ~28miles but it will consume amps because of the smaller battery and the way controller is setup. On an ST2, even with the higher weight, I get massive range and able to hold speed quite well. Granted, the terrain isn't super hilly.
As of today, I have ~3750 miles on my ST2 and I commute ~60miles RT 3 days week and when I use my ST2, at half way mark, I still have 50% battery left.
ST2 commute.JPG

Back