2016 Shimano Steps bikes

David Barovian

Change Shimano Steps mid-size motors for 2016 new Raleigh bikes. No longer to make Currie hub wheel motors. Why? I plan to buy 2015 Raleigh Route IE and some sale about $1800. Cheap price but it s heavy weight as 55 lbs. I like 2016 Route IE (mid-motor) and lightweight but little expensive as $2600. I will wait for low cost next spring. Do you know Shimano Steps mid-motor is better than Currie hub motor?

There's different performance for hub motors, more speed focused where the various mid-drive systems may be a little better at torque or hill climbing. So it's a matter of what style of riding you want to do. When the motor is in the rear wheel and battery in the middle, a hub motor system can have a nice weight balance, a feature that's true with all mid drive ebikes! Remember, too that mid drive motors come in different wattages, so a 250 watt mid drive will not produce as much power as a 350 watt or bigger.

Change Shimano Steps mid-size motors for 2016 new Raleigh bikes. No longer to make Currie hub wheel motors. Why? I plan to buy 2015 Raleigh Route IE and some sale about $1800. Cheap price but it s heavy weight as 55 lbs. I like 2016 Route IE (mid-motor) and lightweight but little expensive as $2600. I will wait for low cost next spring. Do you know Shimano Steps mid-motor is better than Currie hub motor?
@David Barovian I think you may mean the Detour iE as that is the only bike that is changing to the Shimano STEPS. The Route iE will have a Currie Drive mid drive motor similar to that of the Tekoa iE. If you're curious about what STEPs feels like, see if you local shop as the Misceo iE and test ride that. The Misceo iE has the same Shimano STEPS motor, and that should let you know if it's worth it or not.

I purchased 2 detour ie's a small for the wife and a large for me. I am disabled and needed the step-thru model. I did two identical as this gives me multiple batteries and chargers to play with. I will not fully retire for another year so I only managed to put on about 600 miles on my bike and she did 200 on hers. Normally I have a trailer with 1 or 2 grandkids be hind. Central pa has lots of steep hills and these bikes Work!! I can't believe the enjoyment of this ride. Ienjoy this as much or more than my Greg lemond that I rode prior to my disability.

Back