2016 SDuro w/Yamaha, battery shake & rattle, fix?

Dave C

My first post, EBR has been a great resource, thanks.

I just got my 2016 SDURO ALLMTN SL and having a lot of fun. Question, anyone have a fix for the battery rattle? I knew it was coming this way because Court mentioned it, I think on a 29" he tested, and I read it somewhere else. I believe the Bosch has a pad between frame and battery, so I was thinking of making a Neoprene one, or just wrapping a velcro strap around it.

I just got my 2016 SDURO ALLMTN SL and having a lot of fun. Question, anyone have a fix for the battery rattle? I knew it was coming this way because Court mentioned it, I think on a 29" he tested, and I read it somewhere else. I believe the Bosch has a pad between frame and battery, so I was thinking of making a Neoprene one, or just wrapping a velcro strap around it.

Dave C,
Here's how the foam padding looks like on the Xduro Full Seven RX. It looks like a PU foam (soft). Neoprene is a lot stiffer but may work too. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Foam padding_Exduro.jpg
    Foam padding_Exduro.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 1,254
Dave C,
Here's how the foam padding looks like on the Xduro Full Seven RX. It looks like a PU foam (soft). Neoprene is a lot stiffer but may work too. I hope this helps.
Thanks, that helps. Looks like a closed cell foam. I'll look for something like that. Check out the pic of what I'm using, a new pan scrubber from the kitchen. It works great too. For how well designed and finished the rest of the bike is, surprising the battery is allowed to have so much play.
IMG_0110.JPG

Thanks, that helps. Looks like a closed cell foam. I'll look for something like that. Check out the pic of what I'm using, a new pan scrubber from the kitchen. It works great too. For how well designed and finished the rest of the bike is, surprising the battery is allowed to have so much play.

that looks awful.
I had little bit of battery play on my previous eMTB. I solved it by gluing some thick foam tape. Very similar to what Ed did on his Full Seven Rx.

Thanks, that helps. Looks like a closed cell foam. I'll look for something like that. Check out the pic of what I'm using, a new pan scrubber from the kitchen. It works great too. For how well designed and finished the rest of the bike is, surprising the battery is allowed to have so much play. View attachment 13579
Try your local auto parts store. They'll have all sorts of DIY adhesive backed weather seal foam for doors, hoods and trunks. It's fairly inexpensive and will hold up to outdoor use. Prior to applying, wipe the surfaces with a soft cloth and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Reactions: Zds
Here's my fix that seems to work. A long vertical strip of door insulation from Home Depot. I might change it to several horizontal strips because the Yamaha battery slots in sideways and tends to roll the foam over. It was <$5 for 10 ft, so cheap to experiment. In any case I think it looks better than the billo sponge. Hope this helps if anyone else has this issue.
IMG_0111.JPG

I just got my 2016 SDURO ALLMTN and having a lot of fun. Question, anyone have a fix for the battery rattle? I knew it was coming this way because Court mentioned it, I think on a 29" he tested, and I read it somewhere else. I believe the Bosch has a pad between frame and battery, so I was thinking of making a Neoprene one, or just wrapping a velcro strap around it.

I've had the same problem with my Haibike sduro Yamaha. The lock latching is not holding the battery tight to the lock as it should. Three friends have the same bike without this issue. The problem can be solved as described in this thread but I wonder if there is a way of adjusting the lock mechanism so that the battery is held tight to the lock? I've previously used foam to force the battery upward towards the lock. I thought a more elegant solution would be a product called Sugru. This is a mouldable silicone rubber-like material. I formed two discs (pads) of Sugru and stuck them to the underside of the battery close to the position of the lock. Unforunately, Sugru cures too hard and therefore has very little flexibility -- unlike true silicone rubber. So while you can reduce the rattle, it is still present. A solution may be to glue a thin pad of foam to the pads that you form from the Sugru. None of this should be necessary on a quality bike. I will next attempt to open up the lock or replace it with another mechanism. I've had quite a few issues, both electronic and mechanical, with Haibike (which I love regardless). So I can't say I find the bike reliable. I'll post problems and solutions in other threads.

Last edited:
I've had the same problem with my Haibike sduro Yamaha. The lock latching is not holding the battery tight to the lock as it should. Three friends have the same bike without this issue. The problem can be solved as described in this thread but I wonder if there is a way of adjusting the lock mechanism so that the battery is held tight to the lock? I've previously used foam to force the battery upward towards the lock. I thought a more elegant solution would be a product called Sugru. This is a mouldable silicone rubber-like material. I formed two discs (pads) of Sugru and stuck them to the underside of the battery close to the position of the lock. Unforunately, Sugru cures too hard and therefore has very little flexibility -- unlike true silicone rubber. So while you can reduce the rattle, it is still present. A solution may be to glue a thin pad of foam to the pads that you form from the Sugru. None of this should be necessary on a quality bike. I will next attempt to open up the lock or replace it with another mechanism. I've had quite a few issues, both electronic and mechanical, with Haibike (which I love regardless). So I can't say I find the bike reliable. I'll post problems and solutions in other threads.
I have a Haibike AllMtn 6.0, and love it. My battery latch is working properly, although as a reminder, when transporting your bike, make sure the battery is fully seated in the latch. I thought mine was, but I lost it in transit to my favorite bing venue. A new 500 Wh battery cost around $900...............needless to say, a major bummer!

The lock is actually adjustable. I haven't actually made the adjustment yet and will post details later. The Sugru solution also worked

Back