2016 Haibike Trekking Sduro RC - Er 15 / Err 15 / Error 15

Nick S

EDIT: Please see my follow-up below. While this temporarily appeared to solve the problem, the error returned quickly into my next ride.

TL;DR: If your Yamaha display flashes alternately betweeen "Er" and "15", try replacing the display's internal backup battery with a fresh CR2032 coin cell.

I encountered this error midway through my commute to work this morning. After arriving at work I was able to find a service manual online, which described this as the display coming loose. The suggested solution was to replace (re-attach) the display. I googled around some more, and ran across a German post which traced the problem to a failed cold solder on the display mount. Uh oh.

Unfortunately, removing and reattaching the display as the service manual suggested didn't help; I tried removing the main battery from the bike, and reinstalling that as well. No matter what, as soon as the display powered on, it would repeatedly flash between Er, 15, Er, 15.

I called CurrieTech support, and spoke to Matt who was very helpful. He indicated that they may need to replace the mount for the display, but that I should replace the internal CR2032 battery in the display first. Presto, as soon as I replaced the CR2032 coin cell with a new battery, inserted the display into the mount, and pressed the power button, all back to normal.

I'm not sure why there's no apparent low battery warning for the internal coin cell, but if this happens to you, hope the above helps.

Attachments

• err_1.JPG
    err_1.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 4,037
  • err_2.JPG
    err_2.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 4,115
Last edited:
Just curious: when the CR2032 battery is dead (or flashing), does the bike still operate normally when the display is attached?

I don't know what happens if the CR2032 battery is completely dead. My battery was just low, apparently, as I still had the time displayed when the display was off the bike. There was no dimming or any other indication that the battery was low. I'm hoping this is really what the problem is, but I guess I'll just have to keep riding and see if the problem reoccurs, even with a fresh CR2032 battery installed.

When this problem occurred, the bike appeared to allow me to continue to pedal in the assist mode I was in. It did not allow any input from the control module; no toggling of lights, increase/decrease of assist mode, etc. Once powered off completely (by removing then reinserting the main bike battery), there would have been no way to activate an assist mode again until the display was working, because you'd be unable to select an assist mode.

Thank you for the information. How long have you had your bike and how many miles (or kilometers) have you ridden? This information would help us who have Yamaha systems know when to start looking for such problems.

So, unfortunately this was a bit of a red herring. :( The display stopped the Er 15 flashing after the battery replaced and the display was reconnected to the bike, and all appeared to be back to normal. However, within a block or two of starting my commute home yesterday, the error resumed.

I think it's likely that there's a problem with the display mount. I'm working with CurrieTech Support, it sounds like they'll be shipping me a replacement mount. I'll then either need to replace myself or find a local dealership to do the work. I purchased the bike online, so labor cost will be my responsibility.

Thank you for the information. How long have you had your bike and how many miles (or kilometers) have you ridden? This information would help us who have Yamaha systems know when to start looking for such problems.

I have had the bike for just over a year, though it was a 2016 model so the battery was probably another year or so older. I'm not sure how many miles I have ridden. Not a huge amount, very likely under 500 miles; the bike is mainly used for commuting, and I alternate between bike, train, and bus depending on weather.

Back