2015 Models hit shops in San Diego yesterday...

Take a link out of the chain, to tighten the tension on the rear derailleur.

Yeah, should probably try that first. The chain could be already stretched somewhat. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Already talked to him. His solution would be to either add a chain guide or put a narrow-wide chainring together with the Type 2 derailleur. For the latter solution, parts only are almost three hundred euros. I think I'll try taking a link or two out first.

Edit: My chain behaves just as is explained in the Specialized help -thread you posted (waves). I think when in gear 1 the chains quite tight so not sure how many links can be removed, if any.

Last edited:
Just for curiosity, when it comes off, it goes to the inside of the chainring? At least that's where mine winds up when it happens. (Only three times in 400 miles, so far)

Sorry to hear another bummer with Specialized. Be advised that Shimano SLX has a clutch feature that dramatically stiffens the rear derailleur, so much so you are required to toggle it off for wheel removal. Just in case you want to consider replacement options. -S

Sorry to hear another bummer with Specialized. Be advised that Shimano SLX has a clutch feature that dramatically stiffens the rear derailleur, so much so you are required to toggle it off for wheel removal. Just in case you want to consider replacement options. -S

Thanks for the info. Shimano could be an option indeed. There's also the XT and XTR series, dont really know how they differ. I read somewhere that the clutch is quite handy when taking the wheel out. How does one choose the cage length. SRAM at least comes in three different lengths, short, medium and long.

Cant answer your question but I am 185cm (6 feet and some) and riding the Turbo XL frame without any problems. Still I am probably too short for this frame.

Thanks Marko. It helps. I'm slightly shorter (1m83) and the XL frame seems quite big to me. But, of course, a proper fit depends on how long your arms are and what type of position you're looking for. So it's different for every rider. I haven't seen the XL, but noted that the horizontal top tube is 635mm according to Specialized's web site. This seems like a rather long top tube, and the stem is also quite long. Most of my race and trekking bikes had a 595-600mm horizontal top tube, and the retailers were always joking that I loved big frames. But, of course, it depends on how Specialized has measured the tube. For the horizontal top tube length, some manufacturers measure the "imaginary" horizontal length between the seatpost tube and head tube (as in a classic diamond shaped race bike), whereas others are measuring the actual physical length of the tube. I prefer measuring the "imaginary" length as I can correlate that back to my "diamond shape" bike frames. Could you try to measure that? It would help me a lot. I've attached a picture. Thank you.

I will try to take measurements. Thanks for the pic.

Measuring from the front side of the seat tube to the back side of the handlebar attachment tube I got 61 cm. From the top of the hadle bar to ground it was 103 cm. Not necessarily extremely accurate but hope it helps.

Glad to be of assistance.

I was actually "forced" to buy the XL because this was also one of those sweet deals you cannot pass by. I got a showroom bike with a rack and the guards for 2990€. It wasnt really completely showroom as it seemed the store owner had been using it for a bit more than that, but it was in perfect condition and at such a low price so didn't really mind. The alternative size he had was medium and I thought I'd rather have a slightly too big frame than too small. He was just anxious to get rid of them because he was apparently disappointed with them as a business. That's understandable because they are S-pedelecs which are semi-illegal or at least in a gray area here. Also, at their normal price there just isn't enough demand even if they were legal. Or, if you restrict the speed to 25 km/h, nobody's going to want to pay that amount of money for a normal pedelec cabable of much more.

funny you mention this as I have just done a minor overhaul to my bike yesterday. Took both wheels off, swapped tires, cleaned the wheels and the frame thoroughly....so as I was fondling ehm cleaning the frame I did get to examine the entire body. The only place where I found rough affected areas were in the middle of the down tube. Also on the rims I could feel overall ripples around the crest of the rims. Otherwise it's in great shape and it looked rather exciting when it was all clean and spiffy looking.

Having said that I am somewhat envious of the custom paint option. I would love to have a bike in an attractive Yellow variant. :)

Interestingly enough I now have another Specialized bike in the formula red but it is not an ebike. It is a Specialized Sirrus Pro and this is the only color it came in. I bought it mainly because the geometry is very similar to the Turbo and I have rather gotten used to that riding position.

I have noticed that also the cables rub off the paint from the sides of the head tube. I was planning to put a small blob of sugru to the shifter lever to protect the frame but was too late. The red paint layer actually looks more like a hard plastic film rather than paint.

wise decision. I think the Sirrus is too fragile for an electric kit. The Turbo is really built well for the speed and vibrations of the increased speed and weight of an electric motor.

From decades of experience, if you are on the fence when choosing size, I'd suggest buying the smaller, for the simple reason that you can always add a taller stem or expose more seatpost to make the bike fit "larger", but you can't make it any smaller no matter what you do...

As one example, I have a Volton bike (only comes in one size) which fits me well enough - it's about the size of a Medium Turbo - but I'd like to put a Thudbuster on it, and the seat is down too close to the frame to fit it. It would also be difficult to get into a more aero position, due to the height of the headtube. And a smaller bike handles a bit better, with the weight slightly lower.

Back