1UP bike rack

Silvercat

Hi,
First, thanks again to all the folks who offered invaluable assistance re my recent 1UP Quik Rack single. I have yet to take my relatively heavy 29 inch NCM Moscow Plus (I better black out that name!) ebike for a test run using that rack, but it sure appears very well made and is compact and light weight. I placed that ebike on that rack which was not that easy given I was on a sloped driveway and I am long past my university hockey playing days! Damn bike is heavy! I was able to get the front wheel on that rack, then maneuvered the heavier back wheel (due to hub motor) in place.

Anyway, just curious what folks recommend to strap the bike rack to the car hitch (where typical trailer chains would go). The 1UP comes with a Velcro short strap but that sure does not give me any confidence. I would think a chain connecting the rack to the hitch would make much more sense and clearly offer greater security (in case the 1UP becomes loose ( highly unlikely I hope!).

I also plan to use straps (like kayak roof rack straps) to wrap around the bike frame thru to the hitch, for added peace of mind.
When I secured my ebike on that rack, without any added straps, etc., the bike could easily move back and forth a certain extent. The bike wheels were firmly in place in that rack’s brackets, but just gave me some anxiety with only those 2 wheel supports holding the bike. I am aware folks have said that no further security measures are required to prevent the bike from falling off that rack.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi,
First, thanks again to all the folks who offered invaluable assistance re my recent 1UP Quik Rack single. I have yet to take my relatively heavy 29 inch NCM Moscow Plus (I better black out that name!) ebike for a test run using that rack, but it sure appears very well made and is compact and light weight. I placed that ebike on that rack which was not that easy given I was on a sloped driveway and I am long past my university hockey playing days! Damn bike is heavy! I was able to get the front wheel on that rack, then maneuvered the heavier back wheel (due to hub motor) in place.

Anyway, just curious what folks recommend to strap the bike rack to the car hitch (where typical trailer chains would go). The 1UP comes with a Velcro short strap but that sure does not give me any confidence. I would think a chain connecting the rack to the hitch would make much more sense and clearly offer greater security (in case the 1UP becomes loose ( highly unlikely I hope!).

I also plan to use straps (like kayak roof rack straps) to wrap around the bike frame thru to the hitch, for added peace of mind.
When I secured my ebike on that rack, without any added straps, etc., the bike could easily move back and forth a certain extent. The bike wheels were firmly in place in that rack’s brackets, but just gave me some anxiety with only those 2 wheel supports holding the bike. I am aware folks have said that no further security measures are required to prevent the bike from falling off that rack.
My rack is a Kuat, but it secures the bikes in the same manner as the 1Up. I use Velcro straps at three points. One ties the rear wheel to the wheel clamp, one ties that same wheel to the base, and the third ties the front wheel to the front wheel clamp. This eliminates all movement, and provides some peace of mind regarding the possibility of clamp failure. It doesn’t take long to add or remove them.

When you put the tray down flat for the bike, make very sure that the black tabs snap all the way into the round cutouts, that the tray isn’t sort of hovering, so to speak… then tighten down the gold threaded retainer barrel under the tray all the way. I neglected to do that one fine day, and at one point looked in my rear view mirror and - no bike! The tray had dropped down to the tilted rearward position; the bike was still there and fine, but it was tipped way back and no longer visible over the trunk. That was a moment. Of course, always strap it on independently, whether it’s a strap across the trunk or something as simple as a hiplok through the rear wheel to the arm of the rack holding it (SUV got no trunk and not always practical for the strap thing).

Having stated that, I think the 1Up is the best rack I’ve ever used, certainly the easiest to take on and off the car, and just a quality product all around.

I think your statement ‘that was a moment’ speaks volumes. Makes your heart skip a beat or two, doesn’t it?
1Up is a beautiful rack, but far too much money to bring to Canada. Instead I bought a Sienna Hybrid so I can carry the bikes safely inside my vehicle.

I think your statement ‘that was a moment’ speaks volumes. Makes your heart skip a beat or two, doesn’t it?
1Up is a beautiful rack, but far too much money to bring to Canada. Instead I bought a Sienna Hybrid so I can carry the bikes safely inside my vehicle.
Actually, I picked up my 1UP across the US border and brought it back to Canada without paying a cent for taxes or duty (American made). I guess I just happened to be very lucky to get a pleasant border agent who, when I told him I had a $350.00 bike rack, wished me a nice day! I had expected to pay taxes to the tune of about $60.00.
All depends on who you get as the border agent. Key, of course, is to be totally honest, transparent.

When you put the tray down flat for the bike, make very sure that the black tabs snap all the way into the round cutouts, that the tray isn’t sort of hovering, so to speak… then tighten down the gold threaded retainer barrel under the tray all the way. I neglected to do that one fine day, and at one point looked in my rear view mirror and - no bike! The tray had dropped down to the tilted rearward position; the bike was still there and fine, but it was tipped way back and no longer visible over the trunk. That was a moment. Of course, always strap it on independently, whether it’s a strap across the trunk or something as simple as a hiplok through the rear wheel to the arm of the rack holding it (SUV got no trunk and not always practical for the strap thing).

Having stated that, I think the 1Up is the best rack I’ve ever used, certainly the easiest to take on and off the car, and just a quality product all around.
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. Curious about what you mean when you say ‘black tabs snapping into the round cut outs‘. I have a Quik Rack single that has red and blue levers. Red used to raise the support brackets. Blue used to move the trays into and from their folded position.
Sure would have freaked me out to look into mirror and not see my bike!!
A local bike shop guy knew a friend who has a 1UP. Thought it was and is fantastic. He showed me what you mentioned regarding the gold threaded retainer barrel to secure the trays. A simple matter of screwing that rubber barrel in until it sits flush.
I guess any strap should be fine as long as it goes thru the bike frame and/ or seat post and then connects to the hitch. I might also use a strap to connect both tire support ‘brackets’ to one another. A few extra minutes doing that could prevent any issues should the rack fail, although from what I have read and researched, that rack is very unlikely to fail. I will use straps just for peace of mind!

Thanks!

Hi,

Just tighten the ball connection and apply the Velcro strap. The Quick Rack aint goin anywhere if you tighten the ball!

Just tighten the ball connection and apply the Velcro strap. The Quick Rack aint goin anywhere if you tighten the ball!
Thanks! I doubt that Velcro strap will be effective. But, what a tremendous bike rack! I just hope I can secure my Trek Allant 7 without any fender damage!
Thanks again,

Thanks! I doubt that Velcro strap will be effective. But, what a tremendous bike rack! I just hope I can secure my Trek Allant 7 without any fender damage!
Thanks again,
One way to test it. Park on an uphill and completely loosen the ball connection. Make sure your rack has a 60-80 lb bike secured in. Then punch the accelerator to the floor and observe. My prediction is the strap does not break.

Thanks again,
Velcro straps are effective in securing the bike in a manner that prevents excessive shaking. The rack, if tightened properly to the hitch, is unlikely to need additional means of attachment.

Your fenders, on the other hand, may be an issue. You might consider returning it and selecting another rack. Just my opinion.

Velcro straps are effective in securing the bike in a manner that prevents excessive shaking. The rack, if tightened properly to the hitch, is unlikely to need additional means of attachment.

Your fenders, on the other hand, may be an issue. You might consider returning it and selecting another rack. Just my opinion.
Hi,
A number of folks here on the ebike forums have clearly indicated the 1UP will work with bikes with fenders. 1UP has said the same. Adjustments to the support tire brackets are possible (to have the support piece/rod sit just below the fender)as well as the use of pipe insulation, etc., to ensure fenders are not damaged.
Thanks

One way to test it. Park on an uphill and completely loosen the ball connection. Make sure your rack has a 60-80 lb bike secured in. Then punch the accelerator to the floor and observe. My prediction is the strap does not break.
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I likely would try your test using a really cheap bike!

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. Curious about what you mean when you say ‘black tabs snapping into the round cut outs‘. I have a Quik Rack single that has red and blue levers. Red used to raise the support brackets. Blue used to move the trays into and from their folded position.
Sure would have freaked me out to look into mirror and not see my bike!!
A local bike shop guy knew a friend who has a 1UP. Thought it was and is fantastic. He showed me what you mentioned regarding the gold threaded retainer barrel to secure the trays. A simple matter of screwing that rubber barrel in until it sits flush.
I guess any strap should be fine as long as it goes thru the bike frame and/ or seat post and then connects to the hitch. I might also use a strap to connect both tire support ‘brackets’ to one another. A few extra minutes doing that could prevent any issues should the rack fail, although from what I have read and researched, that rack is very unlikely to fail. I will use straps just for peace of mind!

Thanks!
I think what @Saratoga Dave refers to as cutouts are actually the detente rack positions for storage, loading and lowering.

I never understood why a Velcro strap is provided on the Quick Rack when it isn’t required on the SD? I just tighten it until the ball contacts the inside of the receiver. I’ve driven long distances with two fairly hefty e-mtbs loaded onto the rack without straps or tie downs. Mind you, neither of these bikes have fenders that would require any mods.

Assuming that you lowered the wheel spools to accommodate bike tires and clear the fenders, how stable is the bike during transport?

I think what @Saratoga Dave refers to as cutouts are actually the detente rack positions for storage, loading and lowering.

I never understood why a Velcro strap is provided on the Quick Rack when it isn’t required on the SD? I just tighten it until the ball contacts the inside of the receiver. I’ve driven long distances with two fairly hefty e-mtbs loaded onto the rack without straps or tie downs. Mind you, neither of these bikes have fenders that would require any mods.

Assuming that you lowered the wheel spools to accommodate bike tires and clear the fenders, how stable is the bike during transport?
Very true re the Velcro strap for the Quik Rack model. A 1UP staff member told me earlier today that as long as the wheel spools are above the 3 or 9 o’clock position (above the wheel axle), there should be no problem. I will experiment with a regular bike with fenders to test that.

Back