Nitro E3 vs Stromer Elite

Hurley

Hi to all who read and especially comment,
For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Stromer is far more popular than the Nitro. I have ridden them both and by a pretty good margin I prefer the Nitro. More comfortable, 10 pounds lighter, better ride quality, equally as good pedal assist, more gears, better display, throttle, and best of all the seat post (kidding). Is it solely looks? To be with the masses? More reliable? I just don't get it!
Stroll towards the bottom and read this comparison... " http://www.electricstar.org"

Can someone help me out here, please?

I have not ridden the Nitro but just judging from the photos the geometry looks different. That means that some people might fit better with the Nitro and some folks will fit better with the Stromer. If you rode both and the Nitro feels right then the Nitro is the bike for you.

True. The geometry on the Stromer is more aggressive/aerodynamic. Most e-bike riders I would think prefer a more "laid back" geometry seeing as though the motor will pull you nicely through even a head wind.
But even with that said, Stromers leads the pack in E-bikes sold by a wide margin completely and utterly trouncing Nitro E-bikes sold.
So, you made at statement not an explanation. Much appreciated though. Ride on!

Might I add, the Nitro also has quick release front and rear wheels. Stromers do not have this nice feature. After-all, one does get a flat here and there...

We have sold many dozens of ST1 platinum but couple of months ago, Currie rep brought this E3 Nitro and from our experience, we can say E3 Nitro has an excellent ride feel but people don't like the awkward battery positioning. Some older folks were concerned that battery malfunctioning might lead to electrocution!! (which is almost impossible)

Anyway, I think it's a great bike and comes at a really attractive price point. They use the same TDCM Ultramotors that come on ST1 platinum, has 28mph top speed and 36V, 14.5 Ah battery which is similar to ST1 platinum. We have couple of 2014 models and at $2.2K, they offer a lot of value.

Thanks for your input-- especially coming from the source.
My guess is that beyond the "electrocution" concerns, people prefer a more traditional looking bike seat post stem. It is unfortunate that people don't know basic ohms law. It takes a lot of voltage to overcome the resistance of the human body to produce enough current (the current is what hurts you) to hurt you. Like you said, IMPOSSIBLE! Furthermore, if it was a concern, proximity of the battery would have nothing to do with it.

The 2014's can be seen all over in the low 2K range so it is a excellent value contrasted with the Stromer which is seldom on sale if at all.

Another nice feature of the Nitro is the removable display that can still be powered up by it's internal battery. This means you can prop up the bike upside down for tinkering...

The stromer was also on sale for good price. Both are good bikes, people seem to like ST1 more.

I rode the E3 nitro during my initial education. It was not as planted as the Stromer nor as refined. The idea of fiddling with my seat post to charge the battery did not appeal to me. One downside I remember is that every seatpost on the Nitro I looked at was scratched from being raised and lowered.

I rode the E3 nitro during my initial education. It was not as planted as the Stromer nor as refined. The idea of fiddling with my seat post to charge the battery did not appeal to me. One downside I remember is that every seatpost on the Nitro I looked at was scratched from being raised and lowered.
Good point. The seat post definitely gets scratched and it is obvious. The Stromer feels more planted as well to you. By refined can you elaborate?

To me, the Stromer is more stealth , a biggie to me. I have tried multiple seat posts,ended up w/a Body Float , cant do it w/the Nitro. Stromer could do 28 before but when shopping for bikes, Couldn't find a Nitro in person and finally I don't like the way it looks...last is just personal taste , just ignore if you do though! :)

Thanks opimax & Jayvee. Your input is appreciated. Ultimately, hopefully this thread gives folks thinking about which bike to buy, a more educated and informed decision.
As you guys have said, it comes to personal taste. But...Stromers are really, really out selling the Nitros.

Another nice feature in regards to the Nitro, lots of braze-ons...

Here is my bike. I am 6' 2" and weigh 215 pounds.
With the bike rack bag loaded and a 70 ounce Camelbak attached to me, I rode 32.8 miles averaging 18.1 mph with about 900 feet of climbing and head winds about 30% of the time (mostly west).
Amazingly but I don't believe the computer, the computer said I only used 30% of the battery. I was on level 1 assist the whole time (40% assist).
To try to gauge the accuracy of the computer, I put it on the charger to see how long it would take to fully charge. It took only 2.4 hours to fully charge. Needless to say I was very impressed with the distance the bike is capable of. However, I am not impressed with the accuracy of the computer. I would guess more like 60% usage.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Nice bike. Stromer performance at a lower price. The seat post does look... unusual... and I think that's the entire reason why it's outsold by Stromer. People's buying decisions based on style. You can see just from the comments above - "personal taste".

Stromer is part bike, part art, paying for both.

Nice bike. Stromer performance at a lower price. The seat post does look... unusual... and I think that's the entire reason why it's outsold by Stromer. People's buying decisions based on style. You can see just from the comments above - "personal taste".

Stromer is part bike, part art, paying for both.

Appreciate the kind words. Thanks!

I just recently discovered the eFlow... I mean I think I saw it in the past, but completely disregarded it because of the awkward seat post; however, as I am in the process of buying a bike right now, I am now considering it strongly. The cost savings is SIGNIFICANT! From my calculations, I'd be saving close to $1500 with the eFlow, versus an ST1 Platinum. And there are things I'd be gaining from the eFlow, such as:

1) Throttle (gee, what a novel concept)
2) weight
3) removable display (display also seems bigger and easier to read)
4) quick release wheels (very important)

This has made my decision really difficult. Style IS very important, and the eFlow seat post looks "dorky" to me. But what kills me is not just spending and extra $1500 for style, but then also losing really good features, that I just listed. Now I'm very frustrated.

EDIT: I should add that the eFlow prices seem to vary greatly. My $1500 number came from a demo model being offered. For new price comparison, I guess the difference is closer to seven or eight hundred dollars.

Last edited:
I just recently discovered the eFlow... I mean I think I saw it in the past, but completely disregarded it because of the awkward seat post; however, as I am in the process of buying a bike right now, I am now considering it strongly. The cost savings is SIGNIFICANT! From my calculations, I'd be saving close to $1500 with the eFlow, versus an ST1 Platinum. And there are things I'd be gaining from the eFlow, such as:

2) weight

This has made my decision really difficult. Style IS very important, and the eFlow seat post looks "dorky" to me. But what kills me is not just spending and extra $1500 for style, but then also losing really good features, that I just listed. Now I'm very frustrated.

EDIT: I should add that the eFlow prices seem to vary greatly. My $1500 number came from a demo model being offered. For new price comparison, I guess the difference is closer to seven or eight hundred dollars.
Where are you? got a local dealer who wants to dump a new E3 Nitro (white step-thru medium). PM me if interested.

2) weight

At such significant savings, if you can get the warranty, you'll be very happy.
Both bikes are made in the same factory in Taiwan, of course different assembly line.

Thanks Ravi! Tough to pass on the look of the Stromer for the eFlow, but the cost savings and other features...

I know what you are saying Operator7.
The Stromer is gorgeous but far less value in my opinion. But again Stromer is beautiful bike.
Keep shopping and you will find one for around $2000.
I might add the Nitro has suspension.
I got mine brand new with warranty including the city kit for $1300 out the door.
Just found this. $1800 free shipping. Platinum's are going for over $4000 so that's at least a $2200 savings. You could buy (2) bikes.
"http://www.ebay.com"

Yes, good point about the suspension! When placing my order for the ST1, I was advised that Stromer no longer offers the choice of a suspension fork. I'm guessing one could just purchase their own suspension fork, though not sure how tough it would be to install that on a Stromer...

But yeah, it's really tough to pass up on the value. The extra features too?!

Back