PIM Power in Motion Bicycle

waterzap99

Not my first ebike. But first review. I have ridden bicycles all my life. That was the way to get to high school, undergratute and even graduate school. That said, I have only ridden a few ebikes. Other than the PIM, I also have a Polaris Appex. Same drivetrain, just some different components.

Firstly, and most important to me. All the parts that make this an electric bicycle, the battery and controller, motor, wiring harness, cadence sensor and display is available for sale on the PIM website. I believe the parts fit all the bicycles in the PIM lineup as well as some of the old Polaris bikes. They also have some very well made YouTube videos to show how to fix things and explain the working on the bike. Except for these ebike specific things, everything else on these bicycles are regular bicycle parts. Bottom bracket, chain, derailleur etc. Unless PIM stops selling parts, I see no reason I could not keep this bicycle on the road for many, many years. I am pretty handy, and for me, the one thing above all else that influences my buying decision for anything like this is getting parts.

Now on to the bicycle. The bike looks great. Everyone that has seen the PIM or Appex likes the way it looks. Very attractive, beefy and strong looking bicycles. All the components are brand name top notch quality. The brakes are excellent, 180mm Magura hydraulics, and they also have a shut off feature. If you pull the brake, the motor shuts down. I know the PIM and the Polaris are basically the same bicycles, but the PIM headtube looks to be slightly taller than the Polaris. The handlebars on the Polaris is also a bit wider than the PIM. Personally I like the shorter handlebar on the PIM. I find the Spank Spoon 785 on the Polaris a bit wide.

I like the seamless battery integration. More than once people asked me where the battery is. Even people that ride bicycles a lot don’t immediately recognize this as an ebike. Small details I consider “cool”. The battery connector is connected to a cable that clips on to the battery vs a slide in connector. There is no way you can get a bad connection from shaking or riding rough trails. Again speaks to the durability aspect of this bicycle.

The bike has a top speed of 25mph (750W hub motor), and I can vouch for that. You can go slightly faster downhill, but you run out of gears and just pedal air around 25-26 mph with the PIM, while the Appex has a slightly larger front chainring. I think the smaller chainring of the PIM is a bit better fit for this bike, seeing these they really are made to only go up to 25mph. What you loose in top speed you gain in a bit of oomph on the hills.

Power levels on this bicycle takes a bit of getting used. There are 3 regular power levels. +1, +2 and +3, and two unique levels. -1 and -2. You get ascending assist from -2 to +3.

Level +3, you are basically just moving your feet and the bike powers ahead. +1 I think is really the mode that most people will be on most of the time. -1 and -2 are the Active Trail levels -1 gives a bit of assistance going up hills, no assistance on level ground and 500W regen downhill. -2 is very little assistance on hills, I think almost nothing, nothing on level ground, and then 1000W regen on downhills.

This bike has regen when you backpedal on any of the power levels. The backpedal regen also feels stronger than the -1 or -2 downhill regen. You can feel the bicycle slowing down and REGEN starts flashing on the display screen. You don’t even always have to backpedal all the time. I have found that just one backpedal rotation, or even part of a full rotation puts it into regen. If you then don’t move your foot, it will stay in regen for a bit. On level ground backpedaling can bring you to a stop. Not quickly, but you can stop. I have ridden all around my neighborhood without using my brakes with just pedaling to speed up and backpedaling to slow down.

Practically you could probably cruise around the whole day on -1. Getting assistance on the hills, while getting regen on downhills, and then use the+ 1 to +3 modes if you really have to get somewhere fast. I can really see this being useful for Police and security services who can use -1 and -2 to patrol around at low speeds for most of the time, all the while charging the battery or depleting it slowly, and then switch to +3 if they need to get somewhere fast. Not sure how far or long you can go on -1, but it’s going to be quite a distance.

The backpedaling can make up for the other quirk in the bicycle which I have seen in reviews. When you stop pedaling, the motor will keep on going for a second or so. However if you want the motor to stop, just backpedal a bit. The motor then goes into regen and you start slowing down. You can also pull the brakes, which will also switch off the motor and put it in regen mode. I guess the reason for this delay is if you are pedaling, and then just stopping for a second to go around a turn, you do not want the motor to suddenly cut out mid turn. For me that extra second the motor stays on is a non issue.

Realistically, you can get around 25 miles with the standard 264 WH battery (bigger batteries are available soon). The bike is heavy, but I have pedaled it around without any assist and it’s not difficult. Just a bit slow.

As far as nitpicking a bit. The bicycle has no attachment points for water bottle cages. Maybe under the lower tube would have worked? Though with the front shocks you might run into the issue of the wheel banging against the water bottle. So not an easy solution to that. It does look like the bicycle has mounting points for a rack, and I will look into that. Does come with a stand though.
Some way to incorporate lights would also have been nice. Maybe an upgrade kit could be offered. There could be a work around using wiring from the battery, but I have not looked into that.

All in all, I really like it.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 2,227
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 2,003
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1,813
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 1,807
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 2,028
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 1,907
  • pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 2,155
Last edited:
Great write up, thanks. I have always been a big fan of the Evantage / Polaris ebikes (I have 2) from a features and especially a design standpoint so I am glad the line lives on. One area I was not happy with was in the battery; the small standard 6aH batteries that came with the Polaris ebikes so it is nice to hear that larger capacity ones are coming out. An 8.8 or 10aH is a bare minimum now days. My Easy Motion has a 48v, 10.5aH battery in a similar downtube pack but much smaller in size than the ones Polaris used. The components on these Polaris eBikes have always been very good and the bike is beefy and solid. Regen is rare on an eBike, though I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. As for a water bottle, I just used a handle bar water bottle holder.

Thank you. On their site they have a 380WH battery coming out end of next month. My electrical math is a bit rusty, but
the current battery is 264WH / 44 V = 6 AH

The new ones will then be 8.63 AH. At some point on the site they said they will come out with a 500WH battery, which translates to 11.36 AH. I think they were not happy with the performance of that one, so shelved it for a bit. When one of these batteries die (hopefully long time from now). I would go for something like a 11 AH or more if available. For what I do with the bicycle at the moment, the current battery is enough. Of course I would love to have a battery that can go 1000 miles for $100, but that is a want, not a need. You are right, few bikes have regen. That said, I do like the regen. If nothing else, it will save your brakes a bit.

PIM Archer on Alki.JPG I have been riding a PIM Electric Bicycles since July of 2017. Loved it and the service so my wife now rides one also. I ride the Archer model and she is using the Zane ST. She is only 5'2 so the step through works great. She commutes on the sunny days, I am more of a die hard all weather rider. I had some planet bike EZ fenders installed with a Topeak rack. We both got the 380wh battery as now comes standard. The Price point is right, PIM switched to a manufacture direct model last summer. The entry level bike, which is still fairly well equipped sells for $1495. I paid $1795 for www.pimbicycles.com the Archer and we got the Zane ST for $1695. Both our bikes came with the Magura hydraulic disc brakes. The first post here looks like my bike but upgraded bars, etc. My battery gets me a 24 miles in the Seattle area with some hills. I do pedal and give the bike assist, change the power levels for a little more exercise on my way home. I am good with the 380wh battery but will probably pick up a 500wh for my wife when they come out. Their replacement 380wh battery runs $499. I picked another battery up for back up.

2017-12-11 08.37.23.jpg
I have been riding the 380 Wh battery all summer. I will for sure buy the 500 Wh when it comes available. Both the 264 and the 380 Wh Lithium packs seem well priced to me and I suspect the 500 will also be reasonable. I have mounted Topeak handlebar water bottle cages on both my and my wife's bikes. Also, the PIM website has the Topeak 29er rear rack and trunk bag system on sale. The trunk bag has a water bottle pouch if you do not like the handlebar idea.

Last edited:
PIM has just released a 500 Wh battery on their website. I purchased one and will get some time on it this week.

I just have a month on mine, but love everything but the weight. Hoping not to run out of juice! Rail trail 30 mile range is usual but can see I want more. Glad to hear there is a new battery. Truly amazing to have a bike like this when you get older. The wind in your hair.......

I just have a month on mine, but love everything but the weight. Hoping not to run out of juice! Rail trail 30 mile range is usual but can see I want more. Glad to hear there is a new battery. Truly amazing to have a bike like this when you get older. The wind in your hair.......

I totally hear you! i have ridden the 264, 380 and just plugged in the 500 Wh battery and will try a "range test" this week to see how much more distance I can get. Is your Rail to Trail paved or gravel?

PIM's come standard with mounting bosses for rear rack system. These two PIMs have the Topeak MTX Explorer MTX/RX rack and MTX trunk Bag. these were purchased from the PIM website. Great service and excellent products.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,074
Today i learned they are discontinued and parts are not available, i need a battery after one year and 2000 miles my $1700 bike is worthless.

Today i learned they are discontinued and parts are not available, i need a battery after one year and 2000 miles my $1700 bike is worthless.

Not aware that PIM has gone under. Did you contact them directly? Second; the batteries are made up of cells so I am thinking that there are ways to rebuild them.

I talked to Ben the tech today, he told me i was SOL. They have my battery in Seattle. I dont even know if they will send it back to me, the tech blocked my email.42431

I talked to Ben the tech today, he told me i was SOL. They have my battery in Seattle. I dont even know if they will send it back to me, the tech blocked my email.View attachment 42431
If it is your battery you should demand that they return it even if it is not repairable by them. I would suggest that you volunteer to pay the return shipping to get the battery shell back. I believe you can find repair/rebuild battery shops that can replace the Lithium cells and other components. Please post your experiences so the rest of us can now what to expect.

They are currently trying to find one to replace mine with.

Pim bicycles has not gone under, they claim my bike is using 2014 technology and want to move forward.

what size is the battery you are trying to replace? I have a 264 Kwh that is not being used...

Pim batteries can be rebuilt. Look up Nethers Batteries on FB. They have rebuilt Polaris and PIM batteries and even up'd the aH in same case.space.

Back