Known Issues & Problems with Addmotor Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Addmotor as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Thank you Ann. This is just our Companies philosophy. We want to improve our bikes to give the customers a better experience. We welcome everyone who has or had a problem with his bike to write a post here and share the solutions. We support this and will read every single post published in this forum.

I purchased an Addmotor H1 spoke wheel, 500wt 48v. in mid February 2017

i use this daily for a 3 mile trip to school and work. after 3 months I've had these problems.
The tubes are cheap, Replaced.
Gear track comes un timed with proper gears

and now the one I'm really pissed off about. The bike will randomly shut off.
The screen is light, tells me speed, battery life etc, No acceleration thru throttle nor pedal
If i pedal and ride, it will sometimes come back on.
If i turn it off it will come back on with an "Error 25" and not work for awhile

This is my only option for transportation in my area. I have Epilepsy and chose not to drive, But i can't be a bicycle sweaty mess for work, Or the girls.

any information help

Jim, if I understand your post, the derailleur is not shifting properly? That's not unusual for a new bike to need some simple adjustments after a bit of break in period. New cables stretch for brakes & shifting which may alter the performance. Any bike shop can help you with this or check out some videos; it's not very hard to learn. Then you don't need to pay a shop for regular maintenance :).

Did a little research and that Error 25 is a brake wire issue aka, your motor interrupt system. You could have a connection that came loose or a brake that is a little too tight so it keeps the motor interrupt switch engaged. Or the reed switch and magnet sensor in the brake lever are a little too close to each other. There should be a tiny locking screw on the underside of the lever; loosen that then turn the small knurled knob so that it is out a little bit more and see if that solves the issue. If it does, then make sure and retighten the locking screw on the bottom of the lever and you're ready to go.

@Addmotor seems to respond quickly to customer service requests so if this doesn't solve your Error 25 issue, please contact them.

The "Error 25" issue is a well known problem and we are working on it to improve the mistake for future bikes. "Error 25" means a brake problem. When the brake is used, the controller will cut acceleration. That is probably why you do not get any response from the motor. It is actually easy to handle. Most of the time it is the sensor that is a little lose. You find it near the rear wheel, as you can see on the picture below.
QQ图片20170508113543.jpg
Please try to fasten the sensor. The Error should not appear again. If nothing changes, please let us know, then we will give you more options.

PS: Have you contacted [email protected] for the issue?

Simple! Fixed and I can be out and about again.

Addmotor the customer support was fast. On point and awesome.
This bike rocks because I can avoid my crazy areas drivers by running up the curbs or dogging this and that. Off road, on road, best option next to a car. Cheaper maintenance too. Free gas.

The "Error 25" issue is a well known problem and we are working on it to improve the mistake for future bikes. "Error 25" means a brake problem. When the brake is used, the controller will cut acceleration. That is probably why you do not get any response from the motor. It is actually easy to handle. Most of the time it is the sensor that is a little lose. You find it near the rear wheel, as you can see on the picture below.
View attachment 16435
Please try to fasten the sensor. The Error should not appear again. If nothing changes, please let us know, then we will give you more options.

The sensor was not the problem it was the connections inside the black box. The wire loom around the sensors port faded off and I bet a drizzle of water touched it. Removed. Rewired, new harness connectors. Done. Ive taken electrical class's. Thanks again!

The sensor was not the problem it was the connections inside the black box. The wire loom around the sensors port faded off and I bet a drizzle of water touched it. Removed. Rewired, new harness connectors. Done. Ive taken electrical class's. Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply and your hint with the black box connections. Of course the Error 25 can have a lot of reasons, but the best known is that the sensor is lose. But we will pay attention on the one you told us from now on.

It's probably not something you will see again. Since I have Epilepsy I drive this everywhere every day 200 miles in 3 months, in a stuck up area where people are on the phone more then the steering wheel. I just picked up something that in the end wasn't bad and simple to fix

Again y'all are awesome!

We are glad that you are doing great with your bike and hope you keep safe in traffic. Always count with the stupidity or unawareness of others.

View attachment 16435

I have experienced the brake sensor failure as well on a newer HitHot H2. I'm very interested in where to get spare parts. Can you suggest where one might purchase brake-cables with the built in sensor and other parts for the Addmotor bikes? I've worked with Philip at [email protected]. He is very helpful and has helped me diagnose trouble. For example; unplugging the brake sensor restored the bike to operation yet the brake light feature does not work of course. The sensor has failed and is always on. At this time I'm sure I need parts and I'm wondering where to purchase them. Do you know of an online store or physical location that might have Addmotor bike partrs.

@James Marrs, the support people at @Addmotor online should be able to sell you replacement parts. Don't know of any physical store at this time. Have you checked to make sure that the very small wires connecting to the light have not come loose? Just a thought :)

Hi @James Marrs ,

Here is Philip again. We are keeping up with your case as well as possible. As Jim mentioned above, there is the possibility that the connection at the controller could be loose. Before you change the sensor on your bike we suggest you to look this up. We are talking with the factory right now how we could help you the best and I will let you know as far as we have any result available.

Hello Philip & Addmotor Team,

Thank you for this update. I find that, with the brake sensor unplugged at the junction box, the bike will return to normal operation. If source voltage is applied to the sensor, the sensor is always-on. I will continue to look for possible loose connections. However, I'm pretty sure the sensor has failed. It does not appear that the sensor can be removed from the brake cable. It seems the sensor is part of the brake cable. Please let me know if I'm wrong about the built-in sensor on the brake cable. I do not want to damage anything. Can you sell me replacement parts? I don't have a bike-shop that carriers these items. This bike was purchased from UPZY. However, I don't know if they sell replacement parts.

Thank you once again for the feedback. These are great bikes and I'm excited about the future for Addmotor.

Sincerely, Jim

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Addmotor as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Hello Ann M. , Thank you for setting up this forum allowing us to enjoy constructive discussion about the Addmotor bikes. I think these are well engineered e-bikes and I'm confident in the Addmotor Team. I'm new to forums and excited to learn from everyone here. Sincerely, Jim Marrs

Thanks, @James Marrs, it's always a challenge when dealing with a company that only sells online when issues occur. I've been pleased that the Addmotor team are looking to fix issues and improve quality. If you get stuck please find a local shop that works on electric bikes if diagnostics via the web get too confusing. A lot of simple issues can be readily fixed with a physical person to help you.

Can someone possible help us, we just purchased 2 of the ADD motor bikes with the 4" fat tires 500wt 48v and 1 of the bikes keeps accelerating on it's own. So you start to pedal and motor kicks in, but never stops and just keeps going faster and faster, the only way to stop it is putting on the brakes. If you just throttle a little same thing happens. please help, we can no longer use that one because it is actually very dangerous, no error codes are showing up either. Just purchased in June, 110 miles on it. Thanks for any suggestions.

@Cathy Schlecht, need a bit larger photo to work with. Please include some closeups of the area right between the seatpost and over into the rear wheel. Many ebikes have some sort of external sensor located there. Otherwise it is all within the controller.

Back