Copenhagen Wheel does not mount on Aluminum Bike

eric siegel

Superpedestrian, Inc Copenhagen Wheel has a problem. I ordered the wheel three years ago. It was delivered last week. I tried to get it mounted on to my 201x Trek 2000, which is an aluminum bike. The bike shop told me that the hub is too wide to mount on my bike, and that any aluminum bike would be weakened by trying to deflect the fork wider to mount the Copenhagen Wheel. One of the partner shops listed on superpedestrian's web site (who had no idea they were a partner) also told me they would not mount it on an aluminum bike for the same reason.

So, it may be cool, but Superpedestrian, Inc needs to clarify that it may well not be useable on an aluminum bike, or at least on one that is bog standard like the Trek 2000.

I am not trying to bust them or anything, I just want to alert people who are searching on these keywords that this might be an issue.

Well that is a little odd. I ordered a Copenhagen Wheel for my wife's Trek 7000 Multirack which is an aluminum framed bicycle and the wheel went on without any problems and has worked fine since it first went on the bike. My only word of caution is that the Copenhagen wheel has an an extension that is secured to the chainstay which could get damaged if one is not careful. Sorry to hear about your problem with the C-Wheel as it really is quite nice.

So, it took some time, but I do have an update. It turns out, my version of the trek 2000, I think from about 2005 or so, has only a 22 mm gap, and a 30-35 mm gap is required. So please check that your bike has the required width where the wheel would drop in before you buy. The upshot was that I returned the wheel (I had ordered it 3 + years ago), and they gave me a refund. Everyone at Superpedestrian was nice and helpful and apologetic, but there it is.

Back