Specialized turbo vado SL 4.0 chainring information.

I do not have a chain gauge but only have 1300 miles on the chain
I have just completed 1325 miles on my chain and LBS said it was near to changing time so i went ahead with a new one(just £20). I have previously damaged a chainring and a cassette with a worn chain so to me its a no brainer.

I have just completed 1325 miles on my chain and LBS said it was near to changing time so i went ahead with a new one(just £20). I have previously damaged a chainring and a cassette with a worn chain so to me its a no brainer.
I would use a gauge before the replacement. @mfgrep wrote he rode his Vado SL almost as if it were a regular bicycle, so the chain might be still like a new!

Everything's possible, Pete! My Vado SL chain typically lasts for six months or some 2,000 miles. I always use motor assistance but of course it is very rarely the high level.

Importantly, I start thinking of the chain replacement past the 0.5% stretch mark and that's why my cassettes live long.

Everything's possible, Pete! My Vado SL chain typically lasts for six months or some 2,000 miles. I always use motor assistance but of course it is very rarely the high level.

Importantly, I start thinking of the chain replacement past the 0.5% stretch mark and that's why my cassettes live long.
Shrug. I'll buy the tool. Lol

I think chain wear depends on many things. A rider who neglects his chain,either through lack of maintenance or by using the motor incorrectly, will get a lesser chain life. Other facts i.e. rider weight or terrain ridden will also affect this.
To sum up chain longevity is different for everyone so you just need to maintain your chain and check it regularly as it really is the essential component that keeps you going forwards!

Further update. I have found something else that may have been contributing to my chain drops. A little surprised to find out that the free-wheeling hub was defective after only 1300 miles ! The rubber seal that sits between the hub and the wheel Had perished which was allowing water into the hub. One of the lugs had seized open and the spring had rusted. This caused an occasional clunking sound.
So hub replaced now all good.
In the future i will be listening to my free-wheel hub as it deffo sounded different!

Further update. I have found something else that may have been contributing to my chain drops. A little surprised to find out that the free-wheeling hub was defective after only 1300 miles ! The rubber seal that sits between the hub and the wheel Had perished which was allowing water into the hub. One of the lugs had seized open and the spring had rusted. This caused an occasional clunking sound.
So hub replaced now all good.
In the future i will be listening to my free-wheel hub as it deffo sounded different!

Hey Pete. I was thinking about you on Tuesday evening. I had an important dinner but needed to get my ride completed quickly. I picked a 12 mile route which travels South of me.....then North past my house....then back around to home. I do this ride regularly when I need a quickie.

After traveling South and heading back North....at/near the halfway point (6 miles)....I was crossing a major road. I was geared low and in ECO....BARELY torque-ing the pedals as there was no imminent traffic....and BAMMO my chain fell off at very slow speed. As expected I was unable to pull it out from being lodged between the motor and the chain ring. LUCKILY I was about 8 blocks from a big bike store and they helped me get settled and back home free of charge. I was able to shower and get to dinner thankfully....as my wife would've killed me this time!

Anyway....at the bike shop....the mechanic informed me that my chainring (Praxis, 44T, 104BCD), requires that I place the chain on the ring in a specific fashion....and he showed me the Praxis graphic printed on the back-side of the chainring (easily understandable once observed). I did not know this....did you? If you didn't know this....and you have replaced your chain on to the ring....you had a 50/50 chance of getting it installed right or wrong.

I am the most recent person to place the chain onto the ring....and I have no idea whether I 'got it right or wrong' at that time.....but I am hopeful that I had gotten it wrong and that this may have been the cause of my recent chain-slips.

I got lucky (again) and wasn't 20 miles from my house.....but damn this is making me uncomfortable. Both of the most recent chain issues occurred at times that I never would have expected. He suggested that I mount an aftermarket chain guide.....but I am really hesitant to do this.

Hi.
If you look back through the thread i did mention this as i was told this by my LBS. They put it on as per the diagram on the chainwheel. Within a week it was off again. This was when i said 'enough was enough'. And fitted a Narrow wide chainring and 200 miles later no problems at all!
Ps. If you decide to continue with the Praxis i read on another thread someone stuck a photo on the outside of the ring to
Hey Pete. I was thinking about you on Tuesday evening. I had an important dinner but needed to get my ride completed quickly. I picked a 12 mile route which travels South of me.....then North past my house....then back around to home. I do this ride regularly when I need a quickie.

After traveling South and heading back North....at/near the halfway point (6 miles)....I was crossing a major road. I was geared low and in ECO....BARELY torque-ing the pedals as there was no imminent traffic....and BAMMO my chain fell off at very slow speed. As expected I was unable to pull it out from being lodged between the motor and the chain ring. LUCKILY I was about 8 blocks from a big bike store and they helped me get settled and back home free of charge. I was able to shower and get to dinner thankfully....as my wife would've killed me this time!

Anyway....at the bike shop....the mechanic informed me that my chainring (Praxis, 44T, 104BCD), requires that I place the chain on the ring in a specific fashion....and he showed me the Praxis graphic printed on the back-side of the chainring (easily understandable once observed). I did not know this....did you? If you didn't know this....and you have replaced your chain on to the ring....you had a 50/50 chance of getting it installed right or wrong.

I am the most recent person to place the chain onto the ring....and I have no idea whether I 'got it right or wrong' at that time.....but I am hopeful that I had gotten it wrong and that this may have been the cause of my recent chain-slips.

I got lucky (again) and wasn't 20 miles from my house.....but damn this is making me uncomfortable. Both of the most recent chain issues occurred at times that I never would have expected. He suggested that I mount an aftermarket chain guide.....but I am r
Hi.
If you look back through the thread i did mention this as i was told this by my LBS. They put it on as per the diagram on the chainwheel. Within a week it was off again. This was when i said 'enough was enough'. And fitted a Narrow wide chainring and 200 miles later no problems at all!
Ps. If you decide to continue with the Praxis i read on another thread someone stuck a photo on the outside of the ring to make it easier the next time it comes off👍

Hi.
Ps. If you decide to continue with the Praxis i read on another thread someone stuck a photo on the outside of the ring to

Hi.
Ps. If you decide to continue with the Praxis i read on another thread someone stuck a photo on the outside of the ring to make it easier the next time it comes off👍

Damn. I was hopeful that this could be my problem. Where did you find a 44T 104BCD chainwheel??....most seem to top out at about 38T.
PXL_20231019_160257417.jpg

Oh yes thanks!....plenty of inexpensive options there.
Finding a 104 BCD 4-hole ring bigger than 36 or 38T is an issue. The bigger chainrings in this format are mostly for e-bikes. I'm lucky to live in the country where Garbaruk family runs their factory but numerous older post on these Fora related to Specialized replacement chainrings have always lead to Deckas. (There were times when Deckas was the only replacement to Praxis!)

Finding a 104 BCD 4-hole ring bigger than 36 or 38T is an issue. The bigger chainrings in this format are mostly for e-bikes. I'm lucky to live in the country where Garbaruk family runs their factory but numerous older post on these Fora related to Specialized replacement chainrings have always lead to Deckas. (There were times when Deckas was the only replacement to Praxis!)

Thanks for the assist. And I assume that I must give up the chain ring guard (plastic) should I swap out my Praxis chain ring?....or will these outer cut-outs allow me to mount the guard?

PS: I put some GravelKing slicks on the Vado SL yesterday. I was ready for a change from the Pathfinder Sport tires and settled on the GravelKings. I originally was going SS version but decided to go slicks as 95%+ of my riding is asphalt. I rode about 18 miles on them yesterday and I'm not ready to judge them quite yet.

They were VERY difficult to install on the rims and I ended up throwing the white flag and took the rims/tires to my LBS. It was worth every penny of the $15 they charged me to mount.....though very emasculating :)

Back