ChatGPT on the joys of cycling and buying another ebike

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
As a first experiment with ChatGPT, I asked for a short essay on the joys of cycling. Verbatim response after a one second pause:
Cycling: A Joyful Activity

Cycling is not just a means of transportation; it is a way of life that brings numerous joys. There are several reasons why cycling is such a popular activity around the world. It is a low-impact exercise that is great for people of all ages, and it can be done alone or with friends. Cycling allows you to explore new places, get fresh air, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. In this essay, we will explore some of the joys of cycling.
One of the biggest joys of cycling is the freedom it provides. When you are on a bike, you can go anywhere you want, at any time. You can ride through the countryside, along the beach, or even through the city. You are not limited by traffic or road closures. Cycling is also an excellent way to stay healthy and active. It helps to improve your cardiovascular health, build muscle, and reduce stress. As you cycle, you get to enjoy the beautiful scenery and fresh air, which can help to clear your mind and improve your mood.
Another joy of cycling is the sense of community it creates. Cycling is a popular activity, and there are often cycling groups and clubs in many communities. Joining a cycling group can be a great way to meet new people, make friends, and share your passion for cycling. It can also provide you with the motivation and support you need to keep cycling and improve your skills.
Cycling is also a sustainable and eco-friendly mode of transportation. It is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner environment. Unlike cars or motorcycles, bikes do not emit any harmful pollutants, and they do not require any fuel. As a result, cycling is a green and sustainable way to travel.
In conclusion, the joys of cycling are many. From the freedom it provides to the sense of community it creates, cycling is a fantastic way to stay healthy, explore new places, and connect with others. It is also a sustainable and eco-friendly mode of transportation that can help to reduce your carbon footprint. So, if you haven't tried cycling before, now is the perfect time to start. Get on your bike, and enjoy the ride!

Not bad! Then I asked how to talk my wife into letting me buy another ebike:
Ebike Purchase Persuasion
When trying to persuade your wife to let you buy another ebike, it's important to approach the conversation in a respectful and thoughtful way. Here are a few tips that might help:
  1. Start by understanding her concerns: It's possible that your wife may have reservations about buying another ebike, so start by asking her what her concerns are. Listen carefully to her response and try to address her concerns in a thoughtful and rational way.
  2. Explain the benefits: Share with your wife the benefits of having another ebike, such as the health benefits of cycling, the cost savings compared to driving a car, and the fun and enjoyment you get from cycling.
  3. Offer a compromise: If your wife is still hesitant, try to find a compromise that works for both of you. Perhaps you can agree to limit the amount of money you spend on the bike, or you can commit to using it for specific purposes, such as commuting or exercise.
  4. Show her the options: Take your wife to a bike shop and show her the different options available. Allow her to test ride the bikes and ask the salesperson any questions she may have.
  5. Be patient: Remember, it may take time for your wife to come around to the idea of buying another ebike. Be patient and continue to communicate with her in a respectful and thoughtful manner.
Kinda generic, but probably a better approach than my usual "But honey, what about all those shoes??"

Another test: How to ride a bike on the beach?

Beach bike riding tips.​

Riding a bike on a beach can be a fun and exhilarating experience, but it can also be challenging due to the sand and uneven terrain. Here are some tips on how to ride a bike on a beach:
  1. Choose the right bike: Not all bikes are suitable for riding on sand. A fat tire bike is the best option for riding on a beach as it can handle the soft sand without sinking in.
  2. Adjust tire pressure: Lower the tire pressure to make the bike tires wider and provide more surface area for better traction on the sand.
  3. Wear appropriate clothing: Dress comfortably and wear appropriate clothing such as shorts and a t-shirt, and consider wearing a helmet.
  4. Choose the right time: It's best to ride on the beach during low tide when there is more hard-packed sand and less loose sand.
  5. Keep a steady pace: Maintaining a steady pace can help you maintain your balance and avoid getting bogged down in the sand.
  6. Avoid sudden turns and stops: Sudden turns and stops can cause you to lose your balance, so it's important to be cautious when maneuvering on the sand.
  7. Be aware of obstacles: Keep an eye out for rocks, shells, and other obstacles that may be hidden in the sand.
  8. Respect other beach-goers: If you're sharing the beach with pedestrians or other cyclists, be sure to give them plenty of space and avoid riding too close to them.
With these tips in mind, you should be able to enjoy a fun and safe bike ride on the beach.
Based on personal experience, pretty good advice. I can sometimes ride local beaches with 2.3" hybrid tires at low tide without deflating, but it's tricky.

I'm deeply distrustful of how ChatGPT will be used, as few will bother to vette the responses before sharing them as gospel. The responses certainly sound plausible so far, but I've already found factual errors in my first 10 tests.

Last edited:
1681592239042.png

Last edited:
Another test: How to ride a bike on the beach?

Based on personal experience, pretty good advice. I can sometimes ride local beaches with 2.3" hybrid tires at low tide without deflating, but it's tricky.

I'm deeply distrustful of how ChatGPT will be used, as few will bother to vette the responses before sharing them as gospel. The responses certainly sound plausible so far, but I've already found factual errors in my first 10 tests.
Recently, I turned to ChatGPT when faced with a rather difficult repair challenge.

Having chatted my bike’s problem with scores of EBR members and gotten their best advice, and also Google searched multiple ways for various repair topics, I queried Chat.

And quickly received a very comprehensive list of possible solutions including virtually every idea previously postulated to me in EBR, or read in a Google search.

I felt the Chat response was a good audit check of my research — or could it possibly lead to the demise of EBR forums? GOODNESS NO!

Primarily because the eventual fix was not any one of the 10 or so Chat recommendations. ChatGPT was insufficient! My repair was #11 (My own!)

Go EBR Forums for original thought.
(I am sure ChatGPT reads these forums.)

Last edited:
"Help explain my friend how to relieve butt pain while riding a bicycle?"

Butt pain is a common issue faced by many cyclists, especially those who spend a lot of time on their bike. Here are some tips that your friend can use to relieve butt pain while riding a bicycle:
1. Get the right saddle: The saddle is the most important component of the bike that can affect your comfort. Your friend should choose a saddle that fits their sit bones (the bony part of the pelvis that contacts the saddle) and provides enough cushioning to absorb shocks.
2. Adjust saddle height: The saddle height should be adjusted to the right level so that your friend's knee is slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. If the saddle is too high or too low, your friend will feel discomfort in their butt.
3. Wear padded shorts: Padded shorts can help reduce friction between the butt and the saddle, and provide extra cushioning to reduce pressure points.
4. Change position frequently: Your friend should change their riding position frequently by shifting their weight from the saddle to the pedals or handlebars. This will help distribute pressure and prevent soreness.
5. Stand up: Your friend can stand up on the pedals occasionally to give their butt a break from the pressure of the saddle.
6. Build up gradually: If your friend is new to cycling, they should gradually build up their riding time and distance. This will allow their body to adjust to the new demands and reduce the risk of soreness.
Encourage your friend to try these tips and see if they help relieve their butt pain while riding a bicycle.

All sound advice, yet ChatGPT did not know my friend @GuruUno had converted his sporty e-bike into a beach cruiser! :)

Q: Should I wear tight-fitting lycra clothes when cycling?

A: Wearing tight-fitting Lycra clothes while cycling is a personal preference, but there are some practical reasons why many cyclists choose to wear this type of clothing. Here are some benefits of wearing tight-fitting Lycra clothes when cycling:

1. Reduced wind resistance: Tight-fitting clothes can reduce wind resistance, which can make cycling easier and more efficient.

2. Moisture-wicking properties: Lycra material is designed to wick moisture away from the skin, which can keep you dry and comfortable during your ride.

3. Improved aerodynamics: The snug fit of Lycra clothing can help to streamline your body shape, reducing drag and improving your aerodynamics.

4. Reduced chafing: Loose-fitting clothing can rub against the skin, causing chafing and discomfort. Tight-fitting Lycra clothing reduces this risk by staying in place and reducing friction.

5. Better visibility: Many Lycra cycling clothes are brightly colored or have reflective strips, which can improve your visibility to motorists and other cyclists.

That being said, wearing Lycra clothing is not a requirement for cycling. You can wear whatever clothing is comfortable for you and suits your cycling needs. Ultimately, the most important thing is to wear clothing that allows you to move freely and that keeps you safe and comfortable during your ride.

Very diplomatic, but what about public safety? Anyone who saw me in lycra would be scarred for life.

Have ye not heard of dadbod? Everyone is someone’s type.

Q: Are dadbods attractive?

A: "Dadbod" is a term that describes a body type characterized by a slightly overweight or soft physique, usually associated with a lack of regular exercise and healthy eating habits. Attraction to this body type is subjective and varies from person to person.

Some people find dadbods attractive because they find them to be more approachable and relatable than a very toned or muscular physique. Others may prefer a more athletic build. Ultimately, what one person finds attractive is a matter of personal preference, and there is no right or wrong answer.

It's important to remember that attractiveness is not solely determined by physical appearance, and there are many other factors that contribute to attraction and compatibility in a relationship. Body type is just one aspect of a person's physical appearance and should not be the sole factor in determining someone's attractiveness.

Q: How can I protect myself from thoughtless pedestrians when cycling?

A: As a cyclist, it's important to be aware of the potential hazards posed by thoughtless pedestrians and take steps to protect yourself. Here are some tips to help you stay safe while cycling:

1. Be visible: Wear bright clothing and use lights on your bike to make yourself more visible to pedestrians.

2. Use your bell or horn: Use your bike bell or horn to alert pedestrians of your presence.

3. Slow down: Reduce your speed when approaching crowded areas or areas with a high volume of pedestrian traffic.

4. Stay in designated areas: Stick to designated bike lanes or paths to reduce the risk of colliding with pedestrians.

5. Anticipate pedestrian behavior: Be aware of the movements of pedestrians and anticipate their behavior, especially when crossing the street or when walking in groups.

6. Be alert: Keep your eyes and ears open and stay focused on your surroundings to avoid collisions with pedestrians.

7. Give pedestrians space: When passing pedestrians, give them plenty of space and slow down if necessary to avoid colliding with them.

8. Be courteous: Be courteous and respectful to pedestrians, and remember that they have the right of way in most situations.

By taking these precautions, you can help protect yourself against thoughtless pedestrians and reduce the risk of collisions and injuries while cycling.
Good answer — especially the part about pedestrians in groups, in which case all situational awareness vanishes.

I remember when I submitted a sales order for UPS ground to Hawaii to the shipping department back in the day. I received the order back with a drawing of the UPS Truck sinking in water with the caption "glub, glub glub- you sure you want this to go ground?"
Wow, another danger I didn't see coming — smartass AI.

As a first experiment with ChatGPT, I asked for a short essay on the joys of cycling. Verbatim response after a one second pause:

Not bad! Then I asked how to talk my wife into letting me buy another ebike:
Besides this I must note that if you use GPT chat together with this source over here you will get a perfect writing, I as a college student use this one since GPT appeared and it does for me the best writing.
Kinda generic, but probably a better approach than my usual "But honey, what about all those shoes??"
In fact, he's getting more and more ominous, I'm afraid one day I'll be fooled by a robot.

Last edited:
I felt the Chat response was a good audit check of my research — or could it possibly lead to the demise of EBR forums? GOODNESS NO!

Primarily because the eventual fix was not any one of the 10 or so Chat recommendations. ChatGPT was insufficient! My repair was #11 (My own!)

Go EBR Forums for original thought.
(I am sure ChatGPT reads these forums.)

Recently, I turned to ChatGPT when faced with a rather difficult repair challenge.
Just yesterday I asked GPT4 to diagnose a problem with my car. Its response matched my own research and when I asked it for a part number it gave me a real, correct part number. I fully expected it to make up something part-number shaped (which is something GPT3 and 3.5 did a lot). I guess I'll know on Saturday if that part really fixes the issue.

So far, ChapGPT's been very diplomatic in its answers. I put this to the ultimate test:

Q. Do I look fat in this dress?

A. As an AI language model, I don't have the capability to see how you look in a dress, but I can tell you that body size and shape are subjective and there is no one "right" way to look. It's important to focus on feeling comfortable and confident in your own skin, rather than worrying about conforming to societal beauty standards or fitting into a particular dress size.

It's also important to remember that the way you feel in a particular outfit is ultimately more important than how it looks on you. If you feel good and confident in the dress, then that's what matters most. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what you feel comfortable and confident wearing, and to embrace your body for its unique shape and size.
Again, very diplomatic, but not so helpful. Next time my wife asks me this question, "Sorry, honey, I can't see." isn't going to get me off the hook.

Last edited:
So far, ChapGPT's been very diplomatic in its answers. I put this to the ultimate test:

Q. Do I look fat in this dress?

Again, very diplomatic, but not so helpful. Next time my wife asks me this question, "Sorry, honey, I can't see." isn't going to get me off the hook.
I answered "It's not the dress" once when asked "Does this dress make me look fat?". School of hard knocks for me.

Will be a great tool for buying a new bike. This tech does well with filtering based on specific criteria. "Recommend ebikes that are 48v, 750 watt, with top components, upright stance, frame size X, white or red color, under $4000, etc..."

In fact, he's getting more and more ominous, I'm afraid one day I'll be fooled by a robot.
When I'm dealing with someone over the phone, I now always ask "Are you a robot, or a human? The reason this has become necessary is that many organizations, businesses, etc. don't actually want to talk to their customers or clients. There is always the possibility that it may be a robot that's lying, so this isn't a sure-fire defense.

Back