Zen Photon - Details From The CEO & Finding The Perfect Winter Commuter

Miggles

Region
Canada
I'm not an expert on the (excellent) tech in the Zen Photon or eBikes in general, so I figured it would be
helpful to provide a summary of my eBike research as a "typical"/standard MTB commuter: this post is
intended for individuals who are likewise just entering the eBike sphere. I plan on eventually updating
this post or writing a review in a few months once I've had time to ride it.
81480f4b-.jpg

c31d0c58-.jpg

8ce7aade-.jpg

Disclaimer
I'm not affiliated with Zen Bikes in any way - just an annoying customer who's sharing what they've
learned about the technical details of the bike. Ravi Kempaiah, the CEO of Zen Bikes, very generously
offered me his time so be sure to thank him if you appreciate this post. The sources of this post are
about 50/50 from Ravi and the web (manuals & experts). As noted by Ravi, the zenebikes.com/ca site
has some discrepancies but they are aware of this and are working on updating the site. You'll have to
contact the Zen team directly if you are interested in upgrades (and their prices) that are mentioned
below but not currently listed on the site.

Details
Be sure to check out Zen's 2023 model post before reading this one, as I will avoid repeating what's
already been covered. It's nearly the same as the 2024 model except rear racks are now welded rather
than bolted on, and the lights have been upgraded from 200 lumens to 400 lumens.

Tires: still comes with the Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires by default, but can be upgraded to all-
seasons (Schwalbe Johnny Watts 365). The rims are 27.5 inches and support a minimum width of 2
inches and a maximum of 2.8, but 2.4 - 2.6 inches is ideal: 2 inches will look goofy, and 2.8 inches
will require removing the fenders. The Super Moto-X tires use inner tubes, but the rims themselves are tubeless-ready.
Racks: rear rack welded to the frame and is rated for 25kg (55lb); front rack is bolted to the frame
and rated for 8kg (17.5lb)

Battery: is UL-certified and consists of Samsung cells. Ravi has an extensive background in battery
tech and opted for a controller that stops charging the battery at 80% to prolong its lifespan (think
EV batteries). You can turn this off to charge the battery to 100% for longer trips. The battery can
also be quickly disconnected and charged separate from the bike itself (useful for winter/prolonged
storage). While the battery itself is custom, I don't believe it to be a proprietary fit, although I am not
100% certain on this

Seat: comes with a "crusier-style seat" that lies somewhere between a narrow athletic saddle and a
plush, wide dutch-style saddle. You can optionally upgrade to a suspension seatpost (see the
accessories section of the site)

Brakes: the brakes will behave differently in winter, but should still work. The brake fluid itself is
rated to -70C. They provide excellent braking power by nature of being quad-piston hydraulic disk
breaks

Lights: the 2024 model now comes with 400 lumen lights by default, but they can be optionally
upgraded to 600 lumens if the bike is in the factory

Belt: the Gates Carbon Belt Drive tension can be adjusted via specialized tool or mobile app. It is
important that the tension be correct and that you handle the belt with care such as to not damage
the internal carbon fibre cords. I would highly recommend reading Gates' user manual BEFORE
servicing your belt in any way, as it demands different treatment than a chain. If it gets gritty or
grimey, just clean with a little bit of water and a brush. Optionally, you can also read this article for a
deep dive into belt drives by an expert

Hub gearbox: there is a proper procedure for removing/installing the rear wheel in a way that
damages neither the Eviolo hub nor the Gates belt. From what I can tell, the only detail omitted is
that Gates' recommendation is to slacken the belt before dropping out the rear wheel, then
tensoning after reinstalling the wheel. Enviolo has some great guides like resetting the hub if you
manage to f*** it up.

Motor: the mid-drive motor is a custom part but does not appear to be a proprietary fit (I'm not 100%
certain on this). It's limited to 32Km/h in Canada and 45Km/h in the US, but I heard from previous
customer that users can switch between the two limits themselves. Ravi has a great post discussing
the choices he made in selecting the motor and why. It has IPX5 water resistance, just be sure to
occasionally inspect the O-rings and their seal during maintenance.

Self-service: the bike comes with a technical manual of sorts to guide users in servicing their own
bikes. You can access the menu (to change the speed limit, charging limit, etc.) by pressing and
holding the + and - buttons at the same time

"Why Not The Lectric One?"
Why choose the Zen Photon over the Lectric One that offers similar tech and a 750W motor for $1500
CAD ($1000 USD) less? - I'm sure the Lectric One is a great bike and its a killer value, but its a summer
commuter bike to me, not a year-round one. I'm insane and engage in the act known as winter
commuting in Winnipeg, Canada where we see -35C (-31F) in the winter, our cycling infrastructure is
anemic, and winter commutes consist of snow, ice, slush, and the absence of gutters to ride in. I'm
finally buying an eBike to make winter commuting more viable; notably, to counteract headwinds and
the added resistance of compacted snow (it's more than you think).

I specifically selected the Zen Photon for my winter to its leg up over the Lectric One in the following
ways:
  • Photon's 27.5" tires + fork suspension vs One's 20" tires + no suspension - this is especially important in pothole-littered cities
  • Photon's mid-frame battery vs One's battery mounted behind the seatpost - this leads to better weight distribution, which is crucial for handling ice
  • Photon's torque-sensor vs One's cadence sensor - while I lack firsthand experience, many swear by torque-based pedal assist vs cadence-based
  • Photon's 400 (or 600) lumen headlight vs One's safety lights - the sun sets as early as 4pm here, so night riding capability is valuable.
This is in now way an exhaustive list nor is the Photon objectively better than the One: it's all about the
application in which you plan to use it. I would personally recommend the One over the Photon (sorry
Ravi) if you are not a winter cyclist and can live with a bumpier ride
(i.e. your city's cycling infrastructure
is decent); the value is simply unparalleled from what I can see.

But for me, the Photon is my dream winter commuter. It is compatible with winter tires, which are a
godsend if you plan on doing anything beside riding in a perfectly straight line on ice. You can easily
remove the battery inside and charge it to keep it out of freezing temperatures. I've provided absolutely
everything I know about the Photon: questions specific to the Zen Photon are best directed to Ravi and
his team.
Please leave a comment if you have any questions or year-round commuting tips of your own
that you'd like to share.

Quick Winter Tips
(flat) ice is overrated. You can handle it (without studded tires) as long as you do not sharply turn or lean
while riding on it: ride in straight lines. Slush on the other hand, is the dark souls of winter commuting:
downshift, use wide low-pressure knobby trail tires, and go slow. I've wiped out on slush waaaaay more
times than ice, and often in the middle of the road too... there's no shame in using the sidewalk if the
road is too dangerous, just be mindful that snowbanks may encroach on the sidewalk and give you (and
pedestrians) less space. Wind is what really makes you cold: cover all exposed skin. Remember to
(slightly) underdress, wear layers, and use ski goggles: you don't think they're necessary, until you
eyelids begin to freeze together and your eyes start to hurt, ask me how I know :)
20240119_163945.jpg

original_928298d9-b1d4-4111-aad6-6743c9c29e8a_20240109_133329.jpg

original_6e3b31bb-021c-4423-a114-741c7afa6caa_20240109_133803.jpg

Attachments

• 20240109_133749.jpg
    20240109_133749.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back