Yukon Headlamp.

Joe EE

I don't do a lot of night riding but there is something anemic looking about the headlamp that comes stock with the Yukon IMHO. I saw someone else had really beefed up their headlight and I liked it so I took a swing at that. I kept the stock headlight also as a Highbeam of sorts. I love the way it looks and the illumination is a lot better. Loving this bike!
hl lg1.jpg
hl lg 2.jpg
hl lg 3.jpg
hl lg 4.jpg
hl lg 5.jpg
hl lg 6.jpg

I don't do a lot of night riding but there is something anemic looking about the headlamp that comes stock with the Yukon IMHO. I saw someone else had really beefed up their headlight and I liked it so I took a swing at that. I kept the stock headlight also as a Highbeam of sorts. I love the way it looks and the illumination is a lot better. Loving this bike!View attachment 17193 View attachment 17194 View attachment 17195 View attachment 17196 View attachment 17197 View attachment 17198
Hi JOEE'
What is the brand of light that you installed and could you please post where you purchased it and how you attached it to the Yukon.
Thanks

Hey Bob. I bought the lamp from Dime City Cycles online. Search "old school Headlamps" on their site. The headlamp was around 60 bucks. I then agonized about how I was going to go about this. I didn't want to run it off the bike battery and I wasn't sure I could. The bulb that it comes with is incandescent and is 12 Volt 36 Watts. Either way I wanted to power it independent of the bike. I looked at videos on Youtube but there aren't a lot of things tackling this specific application. A local Hobby shop recommended swapping out the original bulb for an LED, which I originally resisted but after thinking about it for a while and getting nowhere fast, I decided to do just that.
At Walmart I purchased a 250 Lumen Headlight that people wear on the heads, I think it's made by Coleman. 20 bucks and it runs off of 3 AA batteries. That solved the power problem completely but created some new ones. I like to hobby so I have a lot of patience. I was trying to rig a remote on/off switch and that may be possible for someone who knows electronics better than me but I couldn't whip that one. My workaround was to drill a pinky sized hole in the top of the headlamp housing so I can reach in and press the tiny button on the circuit board that supports the LED light. Not perfect but it works. To turn it off I pull a battery, which interrupts the circuit. That much took the better part of a Saturday, painstaking work with delicate little parts and stuff. I thought that was going to be the hard part. I didn't realize I was going to have to customize the mount as well.
Sunday... The mounting bolt on the headlamp is around 3/4 of an inch thick made to securely mount it to a motorcycle. The hole on the front fork is around 1/4 inch, large enough to support the piddly stock headlight. I didn't think it would be a good idea to substantially weaken the fork by drilling a huge hole through it. I love this bike so I don't want to harm it or myself. I removed the 3/4 inch bolt which left me with 2 brackets that held it. I fashioned a piece of wood large enough to fit between the brackets and I used some 10 Gauge wire fit through a small hole I drilled in the wood to marry the two. I then proceeded to carefully drill a hole, front to back, through the wood that would accommodate the factory bolt that came with the Yukon. At some point, I plan to swap out the wood piece for a piece of hard plastic of the same size. Probably over the winter. Lastly I mounted the stock headlight on an accessory 8 inch handlebar that I got on Amazon. All this took the better part of Sunday. I now love the way this looks and I am glad you asked.

Yes AguassissiM, That looks like a solution. I just wanted something that didn't clip onto my handlebars. I believe I found it but it took some work.

Sorry @Joe EE did not mean to undermind your solution just seen that they are available on line and wanted to share it with you and anyone else who might be interested.

Back