yamaha pw series electric motor wiring diagram for a 2017 Giant Explore E+2

JmNBoulder

Region
USA
Hi
I have a 2016/17 Giant Explore E+ 2. It is the model that uses the EnergyPak with 4 slots, where 3 are used.
The terminal are positive and negative and the 3rd is a grey wire that goes into the motor.

I hooked up a 36v battery and the bike seems to work fine, however, I am trying to figure out what the 3rd wire is for.
The schematic shows it going into the "control assembly".

Does anyone have any idea what it's purpose is?

Does anyone have this model year ebike and can tell me the voltage coming out of the battery on that terminal is (if there is any).
I don't know if the wire is for monitoring the battery or something like that.
I am having a hellava time trying to find a replacement battery... I bought the ebike without one.

IMG_3969.JPG
IMG_3971.JPGIMG_3969.JPGIMG_3972.JPGScreen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.11.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.11.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 1.50.42 PM.png

Have you ridden the bike with the non-proprietary 36v battery? As I understand it the data wire (grey) provide two way communication between the battery and motor. Without the battery sending the motor controller data the motor shouldn't work and without the motor sending back data to the proprietary battery that battery won't supply sufficient current to run the motor. If you ever do get a proprietary battery don't use a multimeter to probe between the positive battery terminal and the battery data port because doing so will brick the battery as reported by some who have done this. A pedelec group in Germany devised an electronic device that sends data to the motor controller fooling it into working with a standard battery. I actually made an arduino clone based on their original plans but never used it because of glitches they reported. Since then they have updated the design but it is beyond what I would want to try to make. Instead I bought a second proprietary battery for my yamaha pw-se.

Have you ridden the bike with the non-proprietary 36v battery? As I understand it the data wire (grey) provide two way communication between the battery and motor. Without the battery sending the motor controller data the motor shouldn't work and without the motor sending back data to the proprietary battery that battery won't supply sufficient current to run the motor. If you ever do get a proprietary battery don't use a multimeter to probe between the positive battery terminal and the battery data port because doing so will brick the battery as reported by some who have done this. A pedelec group in Germany devised an electronic device that sends data to the motor controller fooling it into working with a standard battery. I actually made an arduino clone based on their original plans but never used it because of glitches they reported. Since then they have updated the design but it is beyond what I would want to try to make. Instead I bought a second proprietary battery for my yamaha pw-se.
I was just checking his github page and there it says Giant batteries use canbus and are incompatible with that hack. https://github.com/gamerpaddy/yamaha-ebike-battery-dongle

He indicated the Giant 5 pin batteries use canbus. OP has 3 pin motor. OP stated his generic 36v battery worked fine but that doesn't seem possible, not sure exactly what he meant by that.

Hi.
Yes, I attached a 36volt battery and rode it around the neighborhood. Everything worked, the power assist, the display , batter indicator, power ,etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 8.39.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 8.39.16 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 357
Looks like you're set then, not sure how that could happen with that motor and a generic battery - please update this thread if something changes.

Still holding out to find a replacement battery, even a dead one where I can replace the cells.... Also trying to figure out if the newer generation of battery 6 terminals) could be used but I suspect it is too "smart". I have the 6 terminal connector that I could swap out on the ebike. In the mean time I am going to get a battery to replace the hack I made. Thank you!

Still holding out to find a replacement battery, even a dead one where I can replace the cells.... Also trying to figure out if the newer generation of battery 6 terminals) could be used but I suspect it is too "smart". I have the 6 terminal connector that I could swap out on the ebike. In the mean time I am going to get a battery to replace the hack I made. Thank you!
i have a 2019 explore and bought a side load nenegypak500 on fb marketplace. As his bike was stolen.

Too bad you are in the USA , else I could sell you my enegypak 400 which only has 51 cycles and a health of 94%

Back