Yamaha ebikes

DDBB

I really like the Yamaha e-bikes but they don't seem to have much of a dealer network, at least here in the upper great lakes area.. Nearest dealer is 6 hours away.. I'm having a hard time finding ANY dealers of ebikes close to where we live which is delaying our purchases.

I, on the other hand, found no way of contacting them. I've written a half-dozen emails to various addresses and on Facebook, with no replies whatsoever.

Mike was kind enough to offer me a test ride closer to where we live and the 3 year warranty is outstanding but having to go to Chicago for warranty work is too far for us

I heard from my local Pedego dealer that Yamaha is on the move and will become a big ebike presence here in the US. I don't recall if he said they were going to have a branded dealer network or work through LBS, but he said they are coming. He really likes their ebikes. They have a lot of experience selling/servicing ebikes in Japan, so I imagine they will hit the ground running, and judging by their other products, will have a good idea of what Americans want in an ebike.

In Japan they sell a lot of bikes for parents (they assume these are moms) to carry kids and groceries, so I'm hoping that they will also be selling more practical/comfort oriented bikes here in the states that will be good for commuting and replacing cars for errands and things, hopefully in sizes that fit women and men who are taller than the average Japanese mother. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

No full suspension bikes from Yamaha in the near future according to my dealer.. The YDX-torc is a great bike but it's a hard tail..

YES, and I hope that Yamaha brings these bike styles to the US. I lived in Japan and bikes are an important mode of transportation, as you said. Practical everyday transportation, and also transportation for recreation.

Also, as the see from the school-uniformed teen boys in the bottom photo show, the "step through" is not considered a ladies style. High bar bikes are not practical for cycling in crowded settings, because the leg-swing that is required takes a lot of physical space.

YES, and I hope that Yamaha brings these bike styles to the US. I lived in Japan and bikes are an important mode of transportation, as you said. Practical everyday transportation, and also transportation for recreation.

Also, as the see from the school-uniformed teen boys in the bottom photo show, the "step through" is not considered a ladies style. High bar bikes are not practical for cycling in crowded settings, because the leg-swing that is required takes a lot of physical space.

JMHO, it would require a ginormous shift in perception and culture for Americans to accept or want to buy Japanese style utility bikes. It would be like asking Americans to make kei cars their preferred family vehicle. I can see American women buying mamachari bicycles because they are "kawaii," but American men? No way.

Re: how to get mama-chari’s in the US:

A Frenchwoman, Clementine Climent, who lives in New York imports Yamaha mama-chari's http://kaerubikes.com/home/products/
& https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbb6feGTWOis-RnQwLZUe-Q.

Also there is a gentleman in Kyoto, Shuichi Kobayashi, who has exported Bridgestone mama-chari's to the US and Canada in the past http://mamabicycle.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-yellow-anjelino-has-been-packed-and.html note Bridgestone changed the name of their Angelino line to Bikke. Bridgestone use Yamaha motors & batteries but buyers would rely on the importer for parts support, Yamaha recently launched its Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles brand on the US market but I thought it unlikely their N American ebike retailers would import Japanese market batteries, at least batteries can be repacked.

Imported electric mama-chari's cost around $2,600 with shipping and customs duty, they cost $1,400 in Japan. Occasionally I see one come up for sale on Craigslist. Here in DC most seem to be brought back by people returning from living in Japan eg military or diplomatic families.

Last edited:
I think they have a lot of potential here. American women are a huge potential e-cycling market that is largely ignored by companies that focus on aggressive road-bike styling that may appeal to women who are avid cyclists, but not to the rest of us. And, many men also want a comfortable, practical bike, as seen by all of the American men I see around riding upright-ride step-through ebikes, or swapping out their handlebars and seats for more ergonomic options. I really like bikes that have great functionality, and I think as more and more people realize the potential of ebikes for healthy and fun daily transport, they'll just get more popular. :)

That's kind of disappointing to hear that reputable company like Yamaha didn't reply you.
Yep. I am trying once again. Now that I own both Bosch and Yamaha ebikes, I'm amazed at how much better (subjectively, of course) Yamaha is.

When my daughter was little I would have cruised one of those with the child seat all day. We used to have the pull behind trailer. (I'm male).

Yep. I am trying once again. Now that I own both Bosch and Yamaha ebikes, I'm amazed at how much better (subjectively, of course) Yamaha is.

I have also found Yamaha extremely difficult to contact by the normal methods. I cannot speak to the new generation of Yamaha offerings, but I will echo Dmitri's subjective opinion with my own subjective assessment that the older Yamaha Pas Super Easy from 15 years ago was and still is a massively great ebike. Mine just will not die and still brings smiles with each ride. The biggest repair it has ever needed is the very occasional chain replacement, but then that is routine maintenance on any bicycle that is ridden regularly.

why do Haibikes with Bosch typically cost $1,000 more than those with Yamaha mid drives?... I have the Yamaha and am happy with it but I wish it had more power but I don't think the Bosch has much, if any more power

It’s great so far. I get about 50 miles on a charge. I have been riding on group rides with my bike club for years.
With the electric assist, I really enjoy not killing myself on hills or struggling to get rolling from a stop as I have genetic condition that causes pain and subluxations of my joints.
The bike has increased my ability to ride more often with the bike club group and my commute to work over a long high bridge is much easier with the yahama mid drive and belt. I wear my dress clothes and loafers on my daily commute and don’t get tired or sweaty. The bike shifts smoothly and I can climb the bridge very easily even in 50% to 100% assist. If I go with level 5 assist, it is approximately 300% assist and I can speed up hills at 15 to 20 mph if needed

Back