Yamaha battery seems difficult to source and is a tad expensive....

connkall

Region
USA
City
Wellington
So im picking up my Crosscore RC today but I notice that the battery for these seems a bit hard to find. It appears to work on 4 particular models (CrossCore RC, Wabash RT, Moro and Moro Pro).
MPN: X1V-82110-00-00
SKU : YAM-X1V-82110-00-00

I see some sketchy online parts places selling them, most say out of stock and it seems like no one makes any reasonable knockoffs.

Now I'm getting the extra free battery with the current promotion (free battery & 5 year warranty extension) but don't really know what to do with it. I don't think i'll use the bike enough to need it but I feel I should hold onto it because the price is unjustifiably high for a new one. And letting it just sit around and never get used does not help it either as we know batteries degrade over time. I obviously could rotate them but....

So for the folks with Yamaha, how has the battery been and did you purchase a new one? And is everyone okay with that crazy high price of $1400+for these things?
I assume I'll keep this bike for a while and I'd hate for the battery to be obsolete and impossible to acquire within a few years.

Attachments

• Capturebat1.JPG
    Capturebat1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 39
Alternate your use of the batteries. That will solve the long term storage issue.

High battery cost and limited availability is normal and part of the cost you pay when you buy a big name brand like this.
Just buy another RC, the whole bike with 2 batteries is only 1200 right now.
Wow that sure does look like a product line that is in the process of being put out to pasture. YDX Moro Pro was 5499 now 2199. 60% off.

Assuming those prices come from a real dealer not a scam site.

Those prices are on the Yamaha site https://www.yamahabicycles.com/promotions/

As they’re selling off inventory I wonder if you’re right and Yamaha is killing the Power Assisted Bicycles lineup for the US market?

Upway are going to have to revise their pricing on used Yamaha models

Last edited:
Well, I have to say the quality of this bike is impressive.... Having recently returned a damage bike from one of the DTC's there is certainly a noticeable difference.

I hope Yamaha does not abandon these.

I just bought a Wabash RT, but I do have a Giant Quick E+ with a 500 watt Yamaha motor and the associated battery. This is 5 year old tech and the battery still has 97% capacity if that's any consolation. So, when I get the extra battery I just plan to sell it to recover some of the initial cost of the bike.

As they’re selling off inventory I wonder if you’re right and Yamaha is killing the Power Assisted Bicycles lineup for the US market?

I hope Yamaha does not abandon these.
I suspect what is happening is they are revising the product line. Probably to 48v. 36v has been dying off for some time as it is. The Yamaha bikes are tailored to the EU market and underpowered by North American standards. My money is on Yamaha either creating a new North American line... or they could be killing it off just in North America. Eliminating the 36v platform would track with giving away free batteries to wipe out their stock of spares.

So, when I get the extra battery I just plan to sell it to recover some of the initial cost of the bike.
Once that battery is gone, its probably gone forever. This is the reason I am staying completely away from any bike with a slick in-built proprietary battery. When the battery goes the bike is junk. Probably not even sellable. We already see this happening with ebikes whose manufacturers have gone belly up.

I never could figure out why Yamaha batteries were so expensive over here ($1400msrp). If you go on the Rakuten Japan e-commerce site and type in Yamaha battery there are loads of JDM market ebike battery packs for about US$250. Even accounting for shipping something didn't add up. Hopefully any new lineup will be UL certified.

Alternate your use of the batteries. That will solve the long term storage issue.

High battery cost and limited availability is normal and part of the cost you pay when you buy a big name brand like this.

Wow that sure does look like a product line that is in the process of being put out to pasture. YDX Moro Pro was 5499 now 2199. 60% off.

Assuming those prices come from a real dealer not a scam site.
Looks like deep discounts where I am too (Australia). Here‘s an example.

I never could figure out why Yamaha batteries were so expensive over here ($1400msrp). If you go on the Rakuten Japan e-commerce site and type in Yamaha battery there are loads of JDM market ebike battery packs for about US$250. Even accounting for shipping something didn't add up. Hopefully any new lineup will be UL certified.
Battery quality at the low end you are describing is iffy at best (I would characterize them as 'garbage', and you can find examples where someone took one apart and found a button cell and sand added for ballast to the otherwise empty 18650 case).

On the other end of the spectrum are packs built soundly, with quality cells, where the manufacturer is asking for ransom and getting it because they have a captive audience who bought into a proprietary ecosystem.

The Yamahas fit into this latter group.

Yep, only a few Bionx packs left, and ebikemarketplace stopped rebuilding them as the proprietary BMS had too many failures.

I saw YT tests by Electric Bike Report of the Cross Core and the Wabash RT that have the ST Class 3 motor and they reported a range of 105 and 115 miles respectively with the 500wh battery. I believe they used the auto feature and the area they were in looked like somewhere in the SW that probably didn't include a whole lot of elevation gain? Kind of hard to believe that 5wh/mile figure but as always range is dependent on many factors. During speed testing the bikes struggled to get to 25mph on flat ground. I saw in a few Moro vids that the riders were less than impressed with the auto feature for mtb use but the EBR folks liked it. Also one of the video's for the Moro had a Yamaha rep say that the batteries are UL listed but the fact they won't ship to NY makes me wonder about that?

Well I cant find anything that legitimately states the battery (YAM-X1V-82110-00-00) is UL listed. You would think they would include that tiny detail on the website description but nope...

I'm not holding against them but for the price, it's weird. It does bother me that they don't list the battery with more details (parts number, availability , etc...) But at this point whatever.

Been riding it for a few days now and I'm extremely happy with it, feels like I got a really premium bike at a great price. We'll see how long it takes them to send me the 2nd battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-15 101836.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-15 101836.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 24
I came across a Japanese bike shop that sells the Yamaha OE battery for about $550.

The problem may be having it delivered to your country as most carriers will not accept Lithium Ion batteries for shipment.

I just bought a Wabash RT, but I do have a Giant Quick E+ with a 500 watt Yamaha motor and the associated battery. This is 5 year old tech and the battery still has 97% capacity if that's any consolation. So, when I get the extra battery I just plan to sell it to recover some of the initial cost of the bike.
How do you test capacity on old Yamaha batteries? I have a 7+ year old external one on my 2017 Haibike, which still has excellent range but I'd love to know more precisely what's left.

Maybe Giant's app? Of course that wouldn't work on my Haibike 🤔

How do you test capacity on old Yamaha batteries? I have a 7+ year old external one on my 2017 Haibike, which still has excellent range but I'd love to know more precisely what's left.

Maybe Giant's app? Of course that wouldn't work on my Haibike 🤔
Jim, my Haibike Full FatSix is a model year 2016 PW drive system with external battery. For any info I need, I use the below manual, the Yamaha X94 PW drive system manual & downloaded it onto my computer:

Jim, my Haibike Full FatSix is a model year 2016 PW drive system with external battery. For any info I need, I use the below manual, the Yamaha X94 PW drive system manual & downloaded it onto my computer:

Thanks Mike, mine is a HardNine 4.0, which I got new from Fly Rides for 70% off MSRP with free shipping. History seems to be repeating - Haibike predicted way higher sales than what transpired pretty much every year they were in the US market until just before COVID-19.

At least that's how I remember it - BH EasyMotion did the same thing. Yamaha's blowout prices are an omen IMO. And I wonder how Yamaha's 5 year warranty will be covered if their bicycle division pulls out of our market... Doh!

But I digress 🤔 Back to capacity measurement:
Someone posted about the Yamaha external battery test way back when, but it only reveals how many charge cycles the battery's had, and it's a pretty broad range as there are only four LEDs.

I just wondered how @abercrombie measured his at 97%.

Back