WW Needs To Produce A $6k Bike

The Bolton bike is reasonable in a couple regards. First if you want a bike sooner rather than later. Also, you might get better support than Frey if you are in the vicinity of Bolton. Otherwise it's not worth the premium IMO. Just buy from Frey. Also, the AM 1000 is a fairly ugly bike with the external battery. YMMV. At least Bolton chose a decent color to mute things. I'd rater have an integrated battery with the option to carry a spare on the frame like the Frey EX decked out with dual battery for the came cost as the Bolton. But you will have to wait...

You are generally correct in your assessment. As to ugly ... I don't care much and it's not ugly to me. Actually that rear suspension makes me a bit lustful. ;) Bikes get hard use from me. You are also correct I am paying a premium. Worth it to me to have a bike *this year* and to deal with someone who actually acts like I'm alive. 👍 I wish you were right about the color. I like the color in the pics but the batch he ordered 5 months ago ... :oops: ... comes only in black. Again, I don't really care. Finally ... one way or another ... I ain't waitin. ;)

Life is short, then you die.

You are generally correct in your assessment. As to ugly ... I don't care much and it's not ugly to me. Actually that rear suspension makes me a bit lustful. ;) Bikes get hard use from me. You are also correct I am paying a premium. Worth it to me to have a bike *this year* and to deal with someone who actually acts like I'm alive. 👍 I wish you were right about the color. I like the color in the pics but the batch he ordered 5 months ago ... :oops: ... comes only in black. Again, I don't really care. Finally ... one way or another ... I ain't waitin. ;)

Life is short, then you die.

Get the Wattwagon... you will not regret your decision in the long run. ;)

To my mind anyway. I would have ponied up that much for an aluminum bike with a slight step down in components. I don't want a carbon frame and I don't need super components. But I dearly want the Ultra motor with Pushkar's controller. Kinda makes me sad because at my age and income level ( soon to be fixed ) I will never buy another expensive bike. I ordered a good one and hopefully I'll find a way to get Pushkar's set up next year but it sure would have been nice to get the whole deal at one stroke. Oh well, such is life.

IF you like the UPC Titanium you should contact him. He offered me one below $6k w/ SA 3spd in lieu of Rohloff.
It's only talk at this point. No one has messaged me yet. Perhaps I misunderstood.

He's ill with the flu. Please be patient.

Pushkar is usually very responsive, you’re not going to get better communication from any other bike company

i’m sure he will get back with you soon

Lol sorry it’s not for sale but Pushkar can build you another one just like it :)

I like my softail and it works great for the forest roads that I do but from what you describe you might want more suspension travel...

Lol sorry it’s not for sale but Pushkar can build you another one just like it :)

I like my softail and it works great for the forest roads that I do but from what you describe you might want more suspension travel...

Darn! How did they work out the weld to the motor mount question? Actually I probably ride mostly like you describe yourself. Got miles and miles of dirt roads on this and neighboring ranches. Also can't go too fast or the dog will overheat. 👍

Did you get your controller upgrade yet?

If my prayers were answered your bike with beefier chain and seat stays would be near perfect. The setup on the Travalanche looks phenomenal ... but it's carbon. Not into carbon.

My motor got the controller upgrade a day or two ago and should be in the mail to me now or tomorrow, should have a decent amount of feedback on that in about nine or 10 days

I have no idea how he put the bike/welds together etc., I’m no help there, you will have to ask him

The soft tail works very good for me but also have the body float on there and I ride slow, if the road gets rough I’m slowing down

I have not owned a suspension bike with a lot of travel so don’t have anything to compare it to as far as that goes

I'm interested in a lower priced option as well. I'm currently considering the Frey CC (http://frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-CC.htm), and upgrading to the Archon X1 afterwards

Love my CC with Archon upgrade. That said, reading about 2 recent Frey frame failures and in one case Frey was indicating controller upgrade may void warranty (not just motor warranty). At this point I am hesitant to recommend buying a bike from anyone but Watt Wagons (or Exess) if you want the new controller.

Love my CC with Archon upgrade. That said, reading about 2 recent Frey frame failures and in one case Frey was indicating controller upgrade may void warranty (not just motor warranty). At this point I am hesitant to recommend buying a bike from anyone but Watt Wagons (or Exess) if you want the new controller.

I'm getting there. Right now I'm going to buy both bikes and see how it goes. I will most likely sell one of them as I have said, I am soon to be a fixed income person. This entire genre is so up in the air. New players flooding in by the day. It's a total crap shoot. That being said I have tremendous confidence in Pushkar Phatak. He's the Nicolas Tesla of ebikes. We should help insure the Thomas Edisons of the ebike world do not edge him to the sidelines.;)

Last edited:
I almost feel like a divine hand has been guiding me through this process of determining what ebike to buy. Silly I know. I don't think God involves xirself in such things. But I've been preserved from making so many mistakes. I would have bought a good bike but way less than what I really wanted ( not considering the five digit offerings ) when Biktrix ran out of Juggernaut Ultra FS large frames. Then I thought about Luna's Apollo ( though I'm Leary of carbon ) but Luna cannot provide an Apollo and maybe never will again. There's been a couple others of similar circumstances. Then I put up this thread. I am convinced that Wattwagons can provide the bike I desire and though I have been impatient up to this point ... I am no longer impatient. Wattwagons are worth waiting for.

Just an aside to those who have followed all this: And to assure Kyle Chittock if he happened across this thread. I am not going to cancel the bike from Bolton Ebikes. I may sell it in the future but I have no pressure in that regard at present.

I thought I would sell my CC but ended up enjoying it so much it's going to be a keeper. I get where you are coming from buying the Bolton as a stop gap and you may end up liking it enough, particularly if you upgrade the controller, that you may end up passing on buying something else. You will be looking at a significant loss on resale given the Bolton is marked up roughly $1K over a Frey AM 1000. That said, my CC was probably the best investment I ever made considering the health benefits, both physical and mental in the covid era. Also in the best shape I've been for the last 10 years. Hit 54 in January and not getting any younger.

I lost 18 lbs in 2 months since I started riding earnestly. I used to dread riding my analog bike to work. Ebike got me back on the saddle, and I started to ride in eco mode. Now I don’t use the motor at all when I’m riding to exercise. Riding a 65lb bike is not easy but now I’m used to it and lighter analog bikes are now easy to ride.

Even if I don’t use the motor nearly as much as I thought I would, I don’t think I would ever buy another non-ebike. It’s just nice knowing you have back up power when you need it.

As @TomD said, if the ebike gets you moving again regularly, few thousand is money well spent. Just think about the thousands you wasted in the past signing up for health club membership that you never used. 😉

Was I right or was I FREAKING right?!

Was I right or was I FREAKING right?!

The FREAKING variety. Seems like a breakthrough for the ebike industry with full suspension with IGH, correct?

Back