Would like to go faster!

Check out www-hitrekcycles.com I got a 3000w bike a few weeks ago and go 35mph no problem.
Their videos show tons of options. 20mph is rediculously too slow.

And how much did you pay for that 3000w bike? 20mph isn't "ridiculously too slow" on a bike that's appropriately priced for it.

Sure, money can buy a faster eBike. And in other news, water is wet.

And how much did you pay for that 3000w bike? 20mph isn't "ridiculously too slow" on a bike that's appropriately priced for it.

Sure, money can buy a faster eBike. And in other news, water is wet.

True. Good points.
I paid $3700 approximately. I was ready to buy a Prodecotech that maxes out at 28mph and for $2000 or something like that. Out of curiosity, I Googled fastest ebike or something like that and came across videos from Hi Trek and later called them. The shop mgr taught me sooooo much, and I am stoked I got what I did from them. Since then, I rode an awesome Haibike worth $5k and wasn't impressed. It is one that falls under the 20mph legislation. I got one that also classifies for off-road where there isn't a speed restriction. Personally, I don't like spending money or even have much anyway. This bike is what I have wanted for a long time and is definitely worth it. It has the ability to go max speed if I don't even pedal it as well as the option to balance pedaling with power to get as much exercise as I want. That shop isn't even close to me, but shipping took care of that.

@cbmojo The 750W geared Bafang hub motor on our Radrovers is only wound for up to 20 mph. That is why the power tapers off after 20 mph if you change the top speed on your LCD to 40 kph (24.85 mph). The bike will do it. It will just take a very long stretch of flat ground and no wind. Our motors are designed to have the maximum amount of torque from 1 rpm all the way until 20 mph. There isn't much you can do for top speed the way our bikes are set up. I would suggest building an ebike with a 1000W Bafang mid-drive motor. Most builds will do 30-40 mph depending on gearing setup.

@cbmojo The 750W geared Bafang hub motor on our Radrovers is only wound for up to 20 mph. That is why the power tapers off after 20 mph if you change the top speed on your LCD to 40 kph (24.85 mph). The bike will do it. It will just take a very long stretch of flat ground and no wind. Our motors are designed to have the maximum amount of torque from 1 rpm all the way until 20 mph. There isn't much you can do for top speed the way our bikes are set up. I would suggest building an ebike with a 1000W Bafang mid-drive motor. Most builds will do 30-40 mph depending on gearing setup.
Makes sense....thanks for the reply

thanks @walawn - pls let us know how it goes. I was thinking of using one of the batteries we have lying around the shop, as well (an EV grade 52V nominal, 1.7kwh module). We use those on some of our electric scooters ;)

Are there any special requirements for connections etc? E.g. battery management system, etc.

@valerun I'm no expert by any means so I would consult RPB about the BMS. I know that the 52V dolphin pack from Luna Cycle is plug and play. Now as far as anything other than that I would check the forums and research the controller and charger.

is going from a 48V to a 52V battery really going to change much? seems like it would maybe squeeze out an extra couple miles of range or maybe 1-2mph of top speed... am i missing something?

@sakau2007 More volts at the battery equals more watts at the motor. You get more performance with a higher wattage battery. Think of volts like potential energy. The more you have, the more energy will be released if current is allowed to flow. Here is an equation:

Watts = Amps x Volts or W = A x V

Let's say our controller on the Radrover allows for 15 A of current to flow through. In example with our 48V battery which is about 54V when fully charged:

Watts = 15 A x 54 V
Watts = 810.
Now lets use the 52V dolphin battery pack, which is about 60V when fully charged:

Watts = 15 A x 60 V
Watts = 900

That higher wattage will make you accelerate faster and achieve a higher top speed. Mine does about 22 mph with the speed turned up in the settings (I'm 180 lbs.). I should be able to hit 24 mph with the 52V battery.

@SpiderDice Yes, it is plug and play. The 48V controller can handle the higher voltage 52 V battery. Our 48 V batteries are 54+ volts right off of the charger. The 52V battery should be close to 60V.

walawn, I think your estimates of 1-2 mph on the top end are pretty accurate for your 180 lb weight. I think the biggest benefit will be the overall performance throughout the battery discharge. The stock 48v battery works well until it passes the 40% mark. If I recall, when the 48v battery is down to 1 bar it is around 44v. In that 44v-46v range you can really feel the lack of performance.

If the 52v Luna dolphin battery pack's BMS will allow it to charge up to 58.8v (14s X 4.2v) then I would estimate the low end cut off to be around 47.6v (14s x 3.4v) so you will always be in the peak voltage range at or above 48v. Pretty sweet!

The only concern would be if the controller can handle the voltage increase. In this review, the author claims the controller is overbuilt for the bike so I would think it should be OK. It may be a good idea to check with tech support first.

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/03/rad-power-bikes-rad-rover.html

By the way, this is my first post here. I looked for an intro thread and didn't find it, so hello everybody! Lots of great info here! I recently helped a friend with his Radrover battery issues which Rad bikes support handled very well and in the process became quite familiar with the bike. My current project is putting a Bafang BBSHD on a full suspension all-mountain bike and plan to use a 52V battery. According to Luna the BBSHD will handle up to 60V and should have a slightly higher top end speed and superior performance through the discharge. Just waiting for the shipment of mid-drive kits to come in next week.

Cheers

Back