Would like to go faster!

I would like my bike to reach 25-30 mph range.. Is there anything I could buy or unplug? Thanks!
This is a RadRover, yes?

The RR has a watt meter. Watch the watt meter as you go up a fairly steep hill, pedaling as little as necessary. See what the power levels are, what the motor will do. Try to find the limit of the motor power in watts from the battery. Now ride on the flat and try to get the bike above 20 mph. Do you get the same watts (hopefully 5 or 600), or does the motor stop pulling the watts around 20 mph?

If you are getting a lot of watts, the motor is not big enough to go 25 mph. If the watts are being limited, you will get watts to keep you at 20, and no more. This is rough, not precise. If the speed is limited, you would need to change that. Legally, it's not something a manufacturer wants to mess with. Most states require the motor to 'cut out' at 20 mph.

This gets asked over and over again. It suggests a lot of people have 'outgrown' 20 miles per hour. You could talk to your state reps?

Pedal harder??? What kind of bike do you have?
Waiting for delivery (hopefully as soon as next week) of my rad rover. I'll definitely try the low tech approach, cant wait to see what the motor + my legs will reach mph wise. Thanks.
This is a RadRover, yes?

The RR has a watt meter. Watch the watt meter as you go up a fairly steep hill, pedaling as little as necessary. See what the power levels are, what the motor will do. Try to find the limit of the motor power in watts from the battery. Now ride on the flat and try to get the bike above 20 mph. Do you get the same watts (hopefully 5 or 600), or does the motor stop pulling the watts around 20 mph?

If you are getting a lot of watts, the motor is not big enough to go 25 mph. If the watts are being limited, you will get watts to keep you at 20, and no more. This is rough, not precise. If the speed is limited, you would need to change that. Legally, it's not something a manufacturer wants to mess with. Most states require the motor to 'cut out' at 20 mph.

This gets asked over and over again. It suggests a lot of people have 'outgrown' 20 miles per hour. You could talk to your state reps?
Don't have bike yet but I'll try this when it shows up. Thanks. Based on motor and batt specs I was hoping to find a little more juice... probably won't mess with it til warranty is up anyway.

Update: motor does not cut out until 25 mph on my rover received 11/10. Max watt output +/- 800. Can hit 30 w/pedaling on just about any downhill strech...

Last edited:
Please post back what you find out!!

Waiting for delivery (hopefully as soon as next week) of my rad rover. I'll definitely try the low tech approach, cant wait to see what the motor + my legs will reach mph wise. Thanks.

Don't have bike yet but I'll try this when it shows up. Thanks. Based on motor and batt specs I was hoping to find a little more juice... probably won't mess with it til warranty is up anyway.

When using throttle only, RadRover's LCD and controller enforce a 20 MPH maximum from the motor. Rad Power set this deliberately to match the legal limit in most locations for use on road.

My Sondors eBike shipped with the same speed governor, but I was able to use it's KT-LCD3 to increase the max speed to 25 MPH.

I'm wondering now if the same sort of thing can be done on my RadRover? i.e Is there some secret combination of keypresses, in order to set it to ~25 MPH max instead?

Sure, but at least that's due to the limits of the hardware (and physics) and not artificially limited by the speed governor in the controller.

Perhaps to make things faster then, you're looking at upgrading the bike's hardware: controller, motor, wheel, chains, tires, etc. And pedaling a whole lot faster ;)

Last edited:
Right, it is a hardware limitation to satisfy current laws regarding motorized bicycles.

Swapping controllers, displays, etc and making the bike faster than 20 mph would make the bike technically illegal to operate on bike paths, bike lanes, etc. Depends on your locale, of course, but here in AZ it's not really worth it for me. I commute with mine, and others have been issued tickets for exceeding regulations.

So max speed on the Radrover is 24mph?

Well, yes and no. It's a bicycle, so if you can pedal it to 30 mph, then that's your top speed. But the motor will contribute up to about 20 mph before the power starts to taper, and then power will stop contributing at 24.85 mph. There is nothing limiting you from exceeding that speed under your own power, and the motor will just contribute nothing until you drop back down below 24.85 mph.

I have a question, how were the bikes chosen for getting tickets? by brand? speed ? or something else?

Speed. Not a RadRover, because they comply with the laws, but other brands/models can go faster than 20 mph and that has earned the attention of the police, especially near the colleges around here.

Back